Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

I would really hate it if DC Superhero Girls couldn't market Bumblebee because of some stupid trademark and all we were left with was the African themed black character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think it boils down to her affiliation with the Teen Titans. I think the products they want to distribute may have more to do with certain characters connected to franchises they want to incorporate more into other media platforms at certain times. I think that they are saving Vixen for another wave of Action figures/dolls.

Vixen could be in the position of being a character that they have a different marketing plan for. Just a guess.
    Bumblebee is more of a cute fairy-like character in appearance which makes her more suitable for something like DCSHG too. She's the closest DC's got to Tinkerbell when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I would really hate it if DC Superhero Girls couldn't market Bumblebee because of some stupid trademark and all we were left with was the African themed black character.
    And what's wrong with celebrating African pride and culture again?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But there's already a Queen Bee .
    Didn't stop Dr. Light.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Bumblebee is more of a cute fairy-like character in appearance which makes her more suitable for something like DCSHG too. She's the closest DC's got to Tinkerbell when you think about it.

And what's wrong with celebrating African pride and culture again?
    Most of us have never been to Africa. Believe it or not, some of us prefer to be represented as Americans. We haven't had a thing to do with Africa (or Egypt) for hundreds of years. You don't see white American characters still clinging to their European origin. Nor do Asian Americans have to act like they're straight off the boat from the East. We're much more advanced and complicated than just AFRICA. I'm only half black. Quarter Native American. My daughter is half Japanese. Sure she has light brown skin but she's not even half black. Why should she only have African themed characters to represent her? Why can't black characters be represented as being as diverse as they really are? We come in all kinds of shades, different color eyes and hair textures. But all the media knows is Africa, as if that's all we are.

Most of us have never been to Africa. Believe it or not, some of us prefer to be represented as Americans. We haven't had a thing to do with Africa (or Egypt) for hundreds of years. You don't see white American characters still clinging to their European origin. Nor do Asian Americans have to act like they're straight off the boat from the East. We're much more advanced and complicated than just AFRICA. I'm only half black. Quarter Native American. My daughter is half Japanese. Sure she has light brown skin but she's not even half black. Why should she only have African themed characters to represent her? Why can't black characters be represented as being as diverse as they really are? We come in all kinds of shades, different color eyes and hair textures. But all the media knows is Africa, as if that's all we are.
    But DC is a multinational company whose product is not just targeted at Americans. Vixen fits in with international characters like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Heck, even the Supers are immigrants, an aspect which is currently being highlighted in pop-culture. Then there are actual aliens like the Martians and the Hawks.

Diana is the premiere superheroine with overt Ancient Greek tones so she's indeed "clinging to her European origin". So it's proper that Mari take pride in the region of her origin as well. And you are talking as if African characters are overflooding media.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 08-30-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Truth I don't support Hasbro in this but I get it. Their Bumblebee is definitely the most recognizable culturally and it's getting a film next year that leads to tons of more merchandise and potentially a animated series and even a comic. It's probably a pre-emptive strike in case they do a Bumblebee comic in particular to stop DC from challenging them which honestly both Marvel and DC have been jerks in the past with companies over copyrights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Their Bumblebee is definitely the most recognizable culturally
    That's exactly what makes this whole business completely ridiculous. No kid on this globe is ever going to buy a Bumblebee figure (DC) thinking he or she is buying a freaking Transformers.

There is no confusion possible. Hell, even the targeted audience is different.

It'll be even more ridiculous if the Bumblebee movie flops hard. A possibility that actually seems very likely seeing how terribly the last Transformers film underperformed.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Completely agree.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

It'll be even more ridiculous if the Bumblebee movie flops hard. A possibility that actually seems very likely seeing how terribly the last Transformers film underperformed.
    Yep. Transformers is a franchise in decline. Can they turn things around? Maybe. But it's no sure thing.

Meanwhile? As I've said, DC Bumblebee is part of a billion-dollar franchise that's continuing to grow.

Hasbro's going to look beyond petty if they win this case, only to have Bumblebee completely fail them a year or two later.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

But DC is a multinational company whose product is not just targeted at Americans. Vixen fits in with international characters like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Heck, even the Supers are immigrants, an aspect which is currently being highlighted in pop-culture. Then there are actual aliens like the Martians and the Hawks.

Diana is the premiere superheroine with overt Ancient Greek tones so she's indeed "clinging to her European origin". So it's proper that Mari take pride in the region of her origin as well. And you are talking as if African characters are overflooding media.
    Vixen is fine. I don't have an issue with her or even Black Panther, but I'd like to not be represented by an African themed character if possible. Unfortunately, that's what is likely to happen if Vixen has to be pushed on DC Superhero Girls instead of Bumblebee. That's why I'm so peeved.

Given the popularity of Bumblebee as a character, a new director, and a talented actress involved as the lead I've actually seen interest in the spin-off way more than the last two or three Transformers films.

BANNED

Vixen is fine. I don't have an issue with her or even Black Panther, but I'd like to not be represented by an African themed character if possible. Unfortunately, that's what is likely to happen if Vixen has to be pushed on DC Superhero Girls instead of Bumblebee. That's why I'm so peeved.
    They could just give Karen another codename.
    Plus it might even be a good idea anyways if the SHG version is the one thats being looked after, since unlike her comic and other cartoon appearances, the SHG version doesn't dress in bee-like colorscheme.

Anyways back to the case, do we even know what Hasbro is aiming to get out of this whole thing? Money because of hypothetical losses? DC stop making Bumblebee toys? Change in her name?
    Like when Marvel successfully claimed and retained the rights to the name of Captain Marvel, it still doesn't stop DC having Captain Marvel as the character he was without changing anything... and for the longest time, they didn't. What they can't do with him (which sounds to be the only thing) is publish a book called 'Captain Marvel', hence why whenever Billy or Freddy did have a book, it was always 'Shazam'-something instead.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

It seems to me like DC could sidestep this whole issue by simply selling Bumblebee toys under a different name. Just call her "Karen Beecher" or "The Bee" or something. In the "Hero of the Year" animated movie, she even referred to herself as "The Bee" in one scene, so it wouldn't be a very big change for her. Meanwhile? She can still be called "Bumblebee" in the comics, TV shows, movies, video games, etc.

If Hasbro's Bumblebee does, in fact, fail, then DC gets the last laugh.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I wonder if DC is gonna pretend they've always cared for Bumblebee after this mess is over.