Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Bad Romance: 16 Awful Couples DC Wants You To Forget

Article here: http://www.cbr.com/couples-dc-wants-you-to-forget/

Besides claiming Swamp Thing and Abigail was a bad romance they illustrate "pre-Crisis Superman and Lois Lane" with decidedly post-Crisis artwork by none other than John Byrne.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post

Besides claiming Swamp Thing and Abigail was a bad romance they illustrate "pre-Crisis Superman and Lois Lane" with decidedly post-Crisis artwork by none other than John Byrne.
    I give zero credibility to this list because it left off an obvious one: Kyle Rayner & Carol Ferris

I could easily argue that relationship is far worse than any other on this list. Forget DC, I want to smack myself in the head with a hammer until I forget it ever happened. Fix yo list, fool!
    Save Ferris...

I liked Raven and Beast Boy.

Here's the list (without the other commentary / reasons given):
    16. Beast Boy & Raven
    15. pre-Crisis Superman & Lois Lane
    14. Atom & Jean Loring
    13. Batwoman & Nocturna
    12. Lucy Lane & Jimmy Olsen
    11. Mr. Freeze & Nora
    10. Kyle Rainer & Alex DeWitt
    9. Clock King & Disruptor
    8. Dick Grayson & Helena Wayne
    7. Swamp Thing & Abigale Arcane
    6. Deathstroke & Terra
    5. Captain Atom & Plastique
    4. Stargirl & Shazam
    3. Arisia Rrab & Hal Jordan
    2. Batman & Black Canary
    1. Donna Troy & Terry Long

Ever since Jonah sold CBR, a lot of these articles (it seems like the majority but I haven't counted them so who knows) are just designed to wind-up their audience.

Don't feed the trolls... and a troll's a troll, even when they own the bridge they lurk under.

I could count numerous recent examples of these relationships getting brought up in either comics or other media, so....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Here's the list (without the other commentary / reasons given):
    16. Beast Boy & Raven
    15. pre-Crisis Superman & Lois Lane
    14. Atom & Jean Loring
    13. Batwoman & Nocturna
    12. Lucy Lane & Jimmy Olsen
    11. Mr. Freeze & Nora
    10. Kyle Rainer & Alex DeWitt
    9. Clock King & Disruptor
    8. Dick Grayson & Helena Wayne
    7. Swamp Thing & Abigale Arcane
    6. Deathstroke & Terra
    5. Captain Atom & Plastique
    4. Stargirl & Shazam
    3. Arisia Rrab & Hal Jordan
    2. Batman & Black Canary
    1. Donna Troy & Terry Long
    What? Many of these are questionable, and four or five are downright stupid. E.g. #6 is SUPPOSED to be inherently icky.

Though, now that I think about it, #3 is just like #6, only we were supposed to cheer for it (and thus is probably the only one that really belongs).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I liked Raven and Beast Boy.
    Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    I give zero credibility to this list because it left off an obvious one: Kyle Rayner & Carol Ferris

I could easily argue that relationship is far worse than any other on this list. Forget DC, I want to smack myself in the head with a hammer until I forget it ever happened. Fix yo list, fool!
    I've just recently finished reading the New 52 Green Lantern run and I was confused when it said she was dating Kyle... Not cool Kyle.

BANNED

Think saying 'DC wants you to forget this' is a bit of a stretch, some of these were only active because of plot. And some have not made a return because DC realized the pairing wasn't very good or just wasn't doing anything for the couple.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post

That's the first thing that popped into my head. Putting Kyle and Carol together was a horrible decision. May as well have Nightwing hookup with Catwoman or Batman with Batgirl (wait, Bruce Timm already did that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post

CBR has pretty bad articles as a whole, right? lol
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    That's the first thing that popped into my head. Putting Kyle and Carol together was a horrible decision. May as well have Nightwing hookup with Catwoman or Batman with Batgirl (wait, Bruce Timm already did that.)
    As messed up as Nightwing/Catwoman and Batman/Batgirl were (and they are really f#%ked up), I say (IMO) that Kyle and Carol was way worse. At least the other 2 had some shred of logic. Catwoman wanted to piss off Bats. Batgirl had a crush on her mentor. Both really dumb, but both are kinda sorta reasons for it. There was no reason to put Carol with Kyle unless the goal was to butcher her characterization worse than any ridiculously skimpy 90s costume ever could.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I've just recently finished reading the New 52 Green Lantern run and I was confused when it said she was dating Kyle... Not cool Kyle.
    I wish I stopped reading after issue #20.
    Save Ferris...

After learning Batwoman’s secret identity, Nocturna uses her vampire magic to hypnotize Batwoman into loving her. The following toxic affair is so damaging that it forces Batwoman’s estranged, semi-sane sister Red Alice to interfere in order to break the spell. Not only did Batwoman inadvertently break up with her real girlfriend, but the lines of consent were heavily blurred during the ordeal.
    "Heavily blurred" my eye. That's an extremely generous way of describing it.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)