Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    The difference between SE and CW2 is negligible. They both take up 3-6 months from each of their tie-ins and have around 100 issues total, including all the extras.
    2017- SE
    2016- CW2
    2015- Secret Wars
    2014- Both AXIS and Original Sin had a **** ton of tie-ins.
    2013- Even Infinity had quite a few tie-ins, although not to the same level as some of these other line-wide events.
    2012- AvX

So what exactly are you getting at here? From my perspective, Marvel is doing too much every single year, and if their definition of 'event' is "every two year, grand crossover event," then I do not have my hopes up for Marvel legitimately slowing down their event schedule at all.
    The difference is how they came about. Marvel have been working to 2-3 year timespans with events that naturally develop from their long term plans. On the off years they tend to get together as writers and decide upon an event and CW2 was actually a change of plan. How the writers and editors then decide upon crossovers is to do with how much buy-in they get. I believe they miscalculated with CW2 and doubled down on it because of the Movie tie-in. That made them artificially expand the event somewhat.

But look at your list. Infinity, AXIS and Original Sin were not actually that big in scope. Infinity and AXIS were actually part of the setup and thematic push towards Secret Wars. Infinity was actually little more than a crossover, AXIS was based upon an expansion of Hickman's Cabalistic structure for the destruction of the universe. Original Sin was a story idea to set-up Jane as Thor that had buy-in from the wider team. Whereas Secret Wars and Secret Empire both emerged naturally from the events of the universe, and we're both elevated to their status as grand plans. They became the backbone of the MU and they were developed with plenty of planning.

Secret Wars was pitched during the retreat as the way Hickman would do something that Marvel were aiming at in the medium term. How to finish the Ultimate line and salvage some of the properties. It built upon some long term work he had been doing that need not be a big event. Secret Empire was a long term plan that ended up being pitched as an event when the scale looked too big to be contained in a simple crossover. Again it allowed plenty of time for the writers to make plans and buy-in.

Even if you don't agree that they conciously do these longer term stories every 2-3 years, I would suggest that longer term plans work out better.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-09-2017 at 12:31 PM.