Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Generations: The Archers

Recap: Archers starts with Kate landing on some tropical Island full of the Worlds greatest Marksmen and stumbles upon a Clint Barton around her age. She finds out that a contest for the title of greatest marksman is going on.

With most anyone there except them being Villains people try to kill each other which doesn't fly all to well with Clint so he tries to defeat everyone as hitting their teleport belts which everyone wears sends them safely back home.

Among the people on the Island are heavy hitters like Bullseye, Taskmaster and Crossfire. There is also Swordsman who turns out to be behind the whole deal.
    Long story short: Kate and Clint get in his way, inspire Swordsmans new protégé to leave him and have quite a lot of fun in the meantime.

Thoughts:
    It's a really charming book. Not only does Kate encounter a younger, much less weary Clint than she is used too, no he also gets retro thought bubbles while Kate gets the more modern boxes.
    Kate defeats Crossfire using trickarrows and a strong punch, Clint defeats Taskmaster by pulling at his cape in a rather cartoonist style.
    Clint gets to wear a mask and Kate gets to WEAR HIS MASK TOO.

I dig that. I really do.

(skip the next sentence if you already read my statements about Lemire's All New Hawkeye one too many times)

After the catastro... erm...very disappointing last "Solo" of those two I was more than happy to see them splitting up.
    Kate's and Clint's dynamic is not an easy one to write and even Fraction himself dumbed down Clint a bit too much in order to make Kate look cool at occasions but they as a team are certainly worth the effort because when they work, they work damn well.

Kelly Thompson found a really good balance between action and humor and never ever did one of the two Heroes look bad or stupid in order to make the other look better even though they made a lot of jokes about each other but they were just that: Jokes.

I know now that BOTH Hawkeyes are in good hands for the "Family Reunion" in Kate's solo later this year and while I don't really want them to become a permanent team again (two characters with similar powerset make for a limited number of possible scenarios) I can at least stop worrying that it will be an "All New" Failure.
    The opposite is the case since Kate's solo has been great so far.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

This book just really makes me wish Hawkeye would go back to his costume like everyone else. Still charming one-shot though.

BANNED

way better than the strong,the best the Phoenix and the thunder. This may end up to be the best shot. loved Clint being his irrelevant self rather than the one we saw in Hawkeye/mockingbird team up in the mini series full of insecurities and brooding. Clint nodding off while Kate got all the things of her chest was the best part. Though it would have been nice of they had actually tested each other in the contents before the inevitable team up. Kate should wear a mask designed like Hawkeye's as she has already adopted much of the elements of his costume.

Kate doesn't need a mask, because she doesn't have a secret identity. Clint wore one back in the day because he did have a secret identity - this issue points out that fact, when Clint asks how Kate knew his name.

Have we ever seen Eden before?
    What about the first guy that Clint shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Thoughts:
    It's a really charming book.

Kelly Thompson found a really good balance between action and humor and never ever did one of the two Heroes look bad or stupid in order to make the other look better even though they made a lot of jokes about each other but they were just that: Jokes.

I know now that BOTH Hawkeyes are in good hands for the "Family Reunion" in Kate's solo later this year...

Awwww can we all just take a moment to fawn over Matternativ's satisfaction with yesterday's Generations?? So glad you enjoyed it, man. I thought it was rad.
    I gotta echo the sentiments that neither Hawk felt neutered or dimmed to elevate or brighten the other. Pure charm. Pure humor. Pure enjoyment. Well done, Kelly!

edit: (adding on because DUH) The gear stuff was awesome. The mask exchange. The hip hole dis. The trick arrow. Domitian. Domitian the Sequel. Clint's shreddedness. Lots to love.
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-31-2017 at 05:13 AM.

BANNED

Sounds like a good one. I'm not much of a Hawkeye fan (either of them) but I may just give it a look.

I thought it was one of the best. Knowing the context of the Vanishing Point with regards to the characters to Secret Empire, I see the use of this type of book has to the young ones. The bizarre state of the world in Hydra America is such a horrifying thing, and then being flung to this far reaching location on an island, doing this completion with murderous villains, is going to be a supportive arrangement for Kate and Clint. I am surprised Kate thinks Clint is okay, and a good mentor, even this early version of Clint, because Barton was a real dickhead in his early days. I am putting it down to Clint altering his behaviour around Kate because he thinks he has a shot, the horn dog.

Kelly Thompson really immerses you in the tropics very early on, and you almost hear the bird calls in the background, with Stephano Raffaelles pencils and Digikores colours. Surprising. I do love the "Mysterious Island" settings, where you don't know who is behind the next tree. It was interesting everyone thought the HQ was where the finale was going to play out, so Crossfire and Bullseye were there when Kate arrived. I'm surprised Bullseye only scratched Kate and Clint. He usually kills before you know it.
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-31-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxHawk View Post
    Have we ever seen Eden before?
    What about the first guy that Clint shot?
    Eden seems a new character. I don't know how she works. If she can move through time, why was she using electronic hardware? I didn't recognise the other villains except Boomer.

Wasn't there an Eden, and Australian, in Secret Warriors, who was a teleporter? Is she from a long line of these special people?
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-31-2017 at 06:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I like how Kate screw up the time line with "asshat". Haha.
    And I like all the humor and reference from Fraction's run.
    Also I like how it ends with Kate's sleepinducing monologue to Clint.

BANNED

Not a bad read. It's got me more interested in Kate's series. I had always considered it but now I'm moving it higher up on the list.

BANNED

Given how much I've been enjoying Thompson's Hawkeye, I figured I'd like this but it was even more charming and funny than I'd hoped for.

Really good stuff. Loved the interaction of Kate and Clint throughout and if Eden is a character we've never seen before (I don't remember her personally), that's pretty cool and it seems to guarantee we'll see her again down the line.

Speaking of setting things up for the future, it looks like Kate has made an enemy out of Bullseye. That can't be good.

Anyhow, great issue. Hopefully it'll send more readers towards the greatness that is Hawkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I thought it was one of the best. Knowing the context of the Vanishing Point with regards to the characters to Secret Empire, I see the use of this type of book has to the young ones. The bizarre state of the world in Hydra America is such a horrifying thing, and then being flung to this far reaching location on an island, doing this completion with murderous villains, is going to be a supportive arrangement for Kate and Clint. I am surprised Kate thinks Clint is okay, and a good mentor, even this early version of Clint, because Barton was a real dickhead in his early days. I am putting it down to Clint altering his behaviour around Kate because he thinks he has a shot, the horn dog.

Kelly Thompson really immerses you in the tropics very early on, and you almost hear the bird calls in the background, with Stephano Raffaelles pencils and Digikores colours. Surprising. I do love the "Mysterious Island" settings, where you don't know who is behind the next tree. It was interesting everyone thought the HQ was where the finale was going to play out, so Crossfire and Bullseye were there when Kate arrived. I'm surprised Bullseye only scratched Kate and Clint. He usually kills before you know it.
    I think that's just banter. The part were he hits on her I mean. If she were his type he'd have hit on her during the campfire part.

@Fokken: Really not sure how to respond to that. Uhm... Thanks I guess!

@theoneandonly: Not entirely sure. Overall it's better than "The Best" but that one was still really good and had a massively satisfying finish with Laura of all people getting emotional and Logan saying:"I'm looking forward to meeting you." or something like that.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Kate doesn't need a mask, because she doesn't have a secret identity. Clint wore one back in the day because he did have a secret identity - this issue points out that fact, when Clint asks how Kate knew his name.
    That and he looked good in one .

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Eden seems a new character. I don't know how she works. If she can move through time, why was she using electronic hardware? I didn't recognise the other villains except Boomer.

Wasn't there an Eden, and Australian, in Secret Warriors, who was a teleporter? Is she from a long line of these special people?
    Yeah, Manifold, one of Hickman's Avengers and currently in Black Panther's Crew. But Eden was his real name, not his codename like this girl.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Eden_Fesi_(Earth-616)