Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

Must admit it almost baffles me why anybody would really care if main Flash is Jay, Wally, Barry, Bart, or John Doe. I just wish we got more well written stories.
    Depending on who's wearing the suit, we tend to get different story beats.

Jay: Straightforward Golden Age-style stories. Perhaps this is the reason that we've seen so few stories focused solely on Jay since the Golden Age.

Barry: Sci-fi hijinks, with LOTS of emphasis on the weird science.

Wally: Legacy, legacy, and more legacy. It's all about the journey of growing up.

Bart: Probably *should* have been humor, but much to everyone's surprise and dismay, his brief tenure put him in the exact opposite situation.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Must admit it almost baffles me why anybody would really care if main Flash is Jay, Wally, Barry, Bart, or John Doe. I just wish we got more well written stories.
    People get atached to the characthers that they like or liked and want more well written stories with those characthers, is part of the reasons behind bringing many concepts and characthers for the Silver and Bronze Age.

I doubt we'll see it while Johns and Didio are in charge. With the TV show and movies, Barry is firmly in the drivers seat for a while.

My personal take is that Barry should still be dead. He died saving the universe. For the longest time, it was the one death that meant something because he never came back.

I like the TV show despite all the Flashpoint garbage and how they basically made Barry the bad guy last season. He was happy and fun in the first season and I hope they get back there someday.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Depending on who's wearing the suit, we tend to get different story beats.

Jay: Straightforward Golden Age-style stories. Perhaps this is the reason that we've seen so few stories focused solely on Jay since the Golden Age.

Barry: Sci-fi hijinks, with LOTS of emphasis on the weird science.

Wally: Legacy, legacy, and more legacy. It's all about the journey of growing up.

Bart: Probably *should* have been humor, but much to everyone's surprise and dismay, his brief tenure put him in the exact opposite situation.

Also important to these debates is that, despite what logic would dictate, we've only had a single Flash book going on since Impulse ended all those years ago. Whoever is the main Flash gets that book and, most of time, a spot on the League, whereas everyone else is locked into team books, limbo and/or occasional guest appearances, or, in the case of the Nu52, non-existence.

And, in regards to what JackDaw said, nice as it would be, we're not all fans of every single character, and as such, while it's obviously crucial, there's more that we want than JUST good stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I doubt we'll see it while Johns and Didio are in charge. With the TV show and movies, Barry is firmly in the drivers seat for a while.

My personal take is that Barry should still be dead. He died saving the universe. For the longest time, it was the one death that meant something because he never came back.

I like the TV show despite all the Flashpoint garbage and how they basically made Barry the bad guy last season. He was happy and fun in the first season and I hope they get back there someday.
    I can't see many Barry fans wanting him to stay dead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I used to be a Barry fan. A big one. He was the first Flash I knew, and when I was younger, I loved him more than Wally. And I thought him going out like the great hero he was was fantastic. And I also never wanted him to come back, both because it would diminish his sacrifice and because it would go against the strong idea of legacy which Wally had built up. Its only since his return that I turned against him. (The erasure of the Flash Family as a whole with the Nu52 certainly didn't help either)

Obviously not every Barry fan thought this way, Buried Allen for instance, but I know plenty of other former Barry fans who share this sentiment.

iMan 42s

The thing is that DC probably can't chance it right now as Barry is heading a TV show, will be a part of the Justice League, has his own book, and all the merchandise that comes out of that. It just isn't safe to launch Wally when Barry is headlining everything else (including videogames). The thing is that Barry took on Wally elements so that means we probably have to get a reinvention of Wally for this to work.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Yeah...supposedly we Barry Allen fans are a kind of death cult whose members were collectively content with worshiping Barry as a dead icon for more than twenty years as opposed to, you know, enjoying new monthly adventures featuring him alive and in action.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    I've been really enjoying Barry as Flash but I can't see why they brought Wally back at this point unless they were eventually going to do something huge with him.
    At this point, they're more far invested in Barry. His title is selling really well. I don't think DC is truly behind Wally. He was only used as an attempt to keep his fans around and fix DC's mistakes.

BANNED

Yeah...supposedly we Barry Allen fans are a kind of death cult whose members were collectively content with worshiping Barry as a dead icon for more than twenty years as opposed to, you know, enjoying new monthly adventures featuring him alive and in action.

If Barry was still dead then I don't know what I'd do. Would I have to force myself to read Wally in order to get my flash fix? Jay, Jesse and Bart are my favorite speedsters. They currently have no titles and they aren't appearing in anything. So I wouldn't even have alternatives.

BANNED

If Barry was still dead then I don't know what I'd do. Would I have to force myself to read Wally in order to get my flash fix? Jay, Jesse and Bart are my favorite speedsters. They currently have no titles and they aren't appearing in anything. So I wouldn't even have alternatives.
    Ah neat, we actually have something in common. My favorite speedsters are also Bart, a 'grandpa' and a woman. (Although in my case, the grandpa and woman are Max and Jenni)

What did you do for the 20+ years he was dead? That is a long time for a comic character to stay dead. By that time, I think we could have lived with him staying dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He could easily be a Flash B if DC would just let him.

Reinventing him would just be doing a disservice to the character in my opinion.
    DC won't let him though. Thats why there's no opportunity there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    What did you do for the 20+ years he was dead? That is a long time for a comic character to stay dead. By that time, I think we could have lived with him staying dead.
    Right? As if its such a chore to read about Wally West, one of the hands down best legacy characters in all of comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Right? As if its such a chore to read about Wally West, one of the hands down best legacy characters in all of comics.
    For ME, it was a chore. I didn't find anything to like, honestly. Nothing about him resonated with me. I think I read most of his stuff and i wasn't engaged. I don't even hate the character, just extremely indifferent. It's the fan base I dislike, tbh. Although there are some decent ones scattered around. I tried with the character on multiple occasions. It just didn't click. I don't think it ever will.
    Last edited by Starchild; 08-31-2017 at 01:34 PM.