Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It's so hard being a Wally fan these days. Dark times indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Weirdly, both the TV show and likely the upcoming JL movie have cemented Barry Allen's fame in this century's beginnings, yet neither is actually Barry Allen the comic book character.
    But then again, how many movie/television versions ARE "actually [fill in blank] the comic book character" unless the comic book version was later changed to better reflect the movie/television version?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But then again, how many movie/television versions ARE "actually [fill in blank] the comic book character" unless the comic book version was later changed to better reflect the movie/television version?
    I believe the answer is very, very few. The George Reeves Superman is the closest, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I believe the answer is very, very few. The George Reeves Superman is the closest, IMO.
    This is becoming the new defense for Barry detractors. "But the Barry that has become so popular on TV and in the movies isn't like Barry in the comics!" They know that the "he is being written just like Wally" excuse/defense just doesn't fly. That being said the movie version of Barry seems like he will a Barry/Bart hybrid.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    This is becoming the new defense for Barry detractors. "But the Barry that has become so popular on TV and in the movies isn't like Barry in the comics!" They know that the "he is being written just like Wally" excuse/defense just doesn't fly. That being said the movie version of Barry seems like he will a Barry/Bart hybrid.
    They often say this while also saying that Barry is dull in the comics because he has no personality, so what personality is being altered in the other media appearances?

Also, Wally hasn't had a consistent personality across his history either. He started existence as a mini-clone, was a whiny stick in the mud in pre-Crisis NTT, and got a new personality post-Crisis when he became the Flash. One of his major other media appearances, DCEU, isn't exactly like his comic counterpart either. He's a police scientist and doesn't appear to be anything other than the first person to bear the Flash name. So these standards should apply to both of them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They often say this while also saying that Barry is dull in the comics because he has no personality, so what personality is being altered in the other media appearances?

Also, Wally hasn't had a consistent personality across his history either. He started existence as a mini-clone, was a whiny stick in the mud in pre-Crisis NTT, and got a new personality post-Crisis when he became the Flash. One of his major other media appearances, DCEU, isn't exactly like his comic counterpart either. He's a police scientist and doesn't appear to be anything other than the first person to bear the Flash name. So these standards should apply to both of them.
    Exactly. Certain detractors will always find a way to prop up their favorite... despite the double standard and the transparent reasoning. The desperation is sad and evident in the redundant posts and threads.
    Last edited by FlashEarthOne; 09-02-2017 at 09:33 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I agree on all counts.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead View Post
    I've been really enjoying Barry as Flash but I can't see why they brought Wally back at this point unless they were eventually going to do something huge with him.
    I think just bringing Wally back WAS the something huge DC did with him.

Like, they knew they wanted to continue to push Barry, but they also wanted to give the Wally fans something to buy. So they brought Wally back to much applause (and at least some profit, I imagine).

And when Wally fans eagerly asked what's next for their guy, DC kinda realized they didn't quite think this through beyond the anticipated initial glory of bringing Wally back.

There was no further plan for Wally. And now DC is scrambling. They can't make Wally THE Flash again now. Barry has the TV show and the movie roles. Jay is safer, either as the mentor or as the Flash of a different Earth, like on the show.

But what was the long term point of bringing Wally back if he can't be The Alpha of the franchise? Because he can't be Kid Flash again.

Esp since the other, younger distinctly not - him version holds that role now and for the foreseeable future.

So what now?

I say go the Grayson route. Give Wally a new handle, new uniform/ costume, new purpose. He can't be THE Flash, probably not ever again.

Even when the Next Inevitable Reboot comes, if DC doesn't just reboot Barry, they probably bypass Wally in favor of someone with a far less convoluted history (like Jesse Quick) or make up someone entirely new for the mantle from scratch or merge all the previous Flashes into one hybrid Flash.

I never say never, but sadly, this is as close as it gets:

Wally West will NEVER be THE Flash ever again

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I think just bringing Wally back WAS the something huge DC did with him.

Like, they knew they wanted to continue to push Barry, but they also wanted to give the Wally fans something to buy. So they brought Wally back to much applause (and at least some profit, I imagine).

And when Wally fans eagerly asked what's next for their guy, DC kinda realized they didn't quite think this through beyond the anticipated initial glory of bringing Wally back.

There was no further plan for Wally. And now DC is scrambling. They can't make Wally THE Flash again now. Barry has the TV show and the movie roles. Jay is safer, either as the mentor or as the Flash of a different Earth, like on the show.

But what was the long term point of bringing Wally back if he can't be The Alpha of the franchise? Because he can't be Kid Flash again.

Esp since the other, younger distinctly not - him version holds that role now and for the foreseeable future.

So what now?

I say go the Grayson route. Give Wally a new handle, new uniform/ costume, new purpose. He can't be THE Flash, probably not ever again.

Even when the Next Inevitable Reboot comes, if DC doesn't just reboot Barry, they probably bypass Wally in favor of someone with a far less convoluted history (like Jesse Quick) or make up someone entirely new for the mantle from scratch or merge all the previous Flashes into one hybrid Flash.

I never say never, but sadly, this is as close as it gets:

Wally West will NEVER be THE Flash ever again
    Keep the costume' make him the new White Lantern. Then we'd finally get a Wally/Kyle meeting.
    Seriously though...is Wally's stint as a lantern still canon? Waid story.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

That's another thing that's pissing me off.
    Just what exactly has or hasn't happened to Wally?
    We know he was with Linda, but were they married with kids?
    Does Rebirth mean the Barry Flash series written by Johns never happened?
    If they did, why doesn't Barry (or Wally for that matter) mention Jay, Bart and Jesse?
    It's all very nebulous and undefined.
    It comes across to me less as a mystery to unfold and more as a "shit, wadda we do now with this lot?" situation.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I have a question for Wally fans. Would you have preferred if he somehow died heroically in Flashpoint? You could obviously have him come back whenever, because that's what super heroes do, but instead of this whole limbo thing they had with him post flashpoint until now, you'd at least know where he was in the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I have a question for Wally fans. Would you have preferred if he somehow died heroically in Flashpoint? You could obviously have him come back whenever, because that's what super heroes do, but instead of this whole limbo thing they had with him post flashpoint until now, you'd at least know where he was in the universe.
    If I knew that having him back would lead to where we are currently? Hell yes. I would rather have a Wally go out like a boss than be be brought back to the DCU by people who have little to no interest in the character and kill him by degrees.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    That's another thing that's pissing me off.
    Just what exactly has or hasn't happened to Wally?
    We know he was with Linda, but were they married with kids?
    Last we saw, Wally remembers being married to Linda with kids, but that doesn't mean it "happened." He also supposedly remembers Jay since he was seen remembering him in the Rebirth one-shot. Its supposedly part of the "10 years" that were taken out of the timeline. But, I do think it'll at least partially be restored ala Superman Reborn style. That event was sold as Superman "regaining his 10 years." I imagine Doomsday Clock may be about the rest of the DCU regaining theirs.

See, that's the maddening thing.
    If Wally remembers Jay, and Barry remembers Wally, why doesn't Barry remember Jay?
    Why in God's name would Barry not have Wally by his side when investigating the button??
    If we're looking at characterization, it's ridiculous not to include Wally.
    But, because of a seeming mandate that prevents Barry & Wally interacting at all, it's making particular stories really grate on my nerves.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    See, that's the maddening thing.
    If Wally remembers Jay, and Barry remembers Wally, why doesn't Barry remember Jay?
    Because Wally has access to memories of the time that was "stolen" from the timeline. Barry does not. Wally remembers his full tenure as the Flash, Barry being married to Iris (backed up by his shocked reaction to Barry saying him and Iris were just "friends"), etc. Those things though never technically "happened" as they were among what was stolen from history. Jay and his presence with the Flash family was one of those things, hence why in the Button, Jay remembered Barry, but Barry didn't know him.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-03-2017 at 10:28 PM.