• Yes

13 39.39%
  • No

16 48.48%
  • Only if different creative talent were in charge

4 12.12%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    First of all, learn to use a spacebar. Secondly, Superman in practically all incarnations has had romantic relationships with women. I don't think I ever remember him claiming to be straight. People assume he's straight because that's how heteronormative hegemony works, but people assumed Wonder Woman was straight too, up until the point when suddenly she explicitly wasn't. Actually, even after that point if we're being real. There's no reason why Superman couldn't do the same- that's basically what happened with me. I assumed Superman was straight. Suddenly, an obvious ship tease appeared on my favorite cartoon, a ship so blatant that I still maintain it has to have been intentional. Is that queerbaiting? Maybe. In my mind the solution to queerbaiting is explicit queer representation, and there is absolutely no reason why that representation can't happen with Superman except fear, and that's the kind of fear that's been ignored by Wonder Woman, so why not?

None of which is to say that Apollo and Midnighter shouldn't also have a show, but given a show about a super-powered married couple who fight crime with extreme violence and Superman but this time he's dating a nice greenish boy, I know which sounds better to me.

Lastly, in reference to whether it's creepy that Superman could date Brainiac Five and then later meet Brainiac Prime, he does meet the original computer tyrant in the original Legion cartoon and the fact that Brainy had been hiding his existence from him was a major plot point and step forward in the show and in Brainy's character arc. There's no reason that would have to sit uncomfortably in the background bothering people, that's an obvious story arc to focus in on!
    I am sorry about spacebar usage.I just expressed what i felt. Wonder Woman always had something in the background. It depended upon the writer to choose or ignore. Most writers implied that subtly. It somehow makes sense because she is from an island with women only. As far as Superman is concerned there would be some writers trying to tease something. But mostly writers have chosen to pair her with Lois or Lana or WW. I have not seen any subtext. So it depends upon the writer. I think most writers have not seen him as bisexual. Most focus on Lois.

As far as Braniac original is concerned i said you may not agree with me. That is ok. I just expressed my feeling and it can't be changed by any explanation. Braniac and Supes are enemies. Braniac often tries to kill Supes. I feel it creepy to see those fighting develop any feelings for the other. Superman may not try to kill but he is fighting someone who is like a great grand father of his lover. This immediately makes Braniac kind of an ancestor,someone elderly, a kind of parental figure. So you may choose to ignore this. Your choice.

My biggest problem is that instead of focusing on new characters i will see more of Superboy. And i don't want that. I see Superman in comics, films, cartoons. I don't see LOSH characters so much. Obviously someone like Mater Eater Lad or Bouncing Boy would be reduced to give space to this sub plot. I want to see new characters given a chance to shine. Best JLU episodes focused on relatively obscure characters like Question, Booster Gold. There so many characters in LOSH. I want to see more of them.

And finally i don't like Superman to be paired with a lot of people. Atmost Lana, Lori, maybe Diana but finally Lois. If he sees more people he would appear to be more of a Casanova then i want him to be. If he can't keep it in his pants as soon as he finds someone attractive maybe he is peeping using those X-Rays. Maybe he is creeping on those he finds attractive? Superman is too powerful that the only way he is not fearsome is when he is kind of a square. People call him a boy scout. But he has to be somewhat like that even at the cost of appearing at times inhuman. He has to higher above us or else he can easily be dangerous. My humble request is to think about this.

I have simply expressed my feelings and thoughts as a fan of Superman. If you are offended by something simply ignore me. I am only a friend trying to share my love for Superman. I voted yes to this show. I am completely against this pairing still i said yes. I can choose to ignore to see the show if i am offended by it. If DC feels there are fans who would want to see this they can make one. LOSH requires to be on air. It is a great part of DC lore which will bring joy to many fans and kids. Why shall i matter? I am just a fan of Lois and Clark. I have everything i want.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-01-2017 at 12:21 AM.

First of all, learn to use a spacebar.
    oh great, your one of those people. Grow up.
    I just used the wrong version of "your," take that.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-01-2017 at 12:08 AM.

BANNED

Dating lots of people by itself shouldn't be seen as bad thing. It's when the number of romantic relationships is used to assert the character's masculinity, used to show us how "great" being the character is, etc, that it becomes a problem.

But it is tricky for most writers to handle, and it isn't something that has a good track record so I also share that concern.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

No. I wouldnt watch this. This is Apollo and Midnighter's territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    As far as Braniac original is concerned i said you may not agree with me. That is ok. I just expressed my feeling and it can't be changed by any explanation. Braniac and Supes are enemies. Braniac often tries to kill Supes. I feel it creepy to see those fighting develop any feelings for the other. Superman may not try to kill but he is fighting someone who is like a great grand father of his lover. This immediately makes Braniac kind of an ancestor,someone elderly, a kind of parental figure. So you may choose to ignore this. Your choice.
    I fail to see the difference between Superman fighting Brainiac if he's dating Brainy and Superman fighting Sam Lane if he's dating Lois. Paternal figures can be antagonists too; if anything it adds more drama to the proceedings.

My biggest problem is that instead of focusing on new characters i will see more of Superboy. And i don't want that. I see Superman in comics, films, cartoons. I don't see LOSH characters so much. Obviously someone like Mater Eater Lad or Bouncing Boy would be reduced to give space to this sub plot. I want to see new characters given a chance to shine. Best JLU episodes focused on relatively obscure characters like Question, Booster Gold. There so many characters in LOSH. I want to see more of them.
    The Legion isn't exactly the height of popularity, and Kal's been a part of the team since their very first story. To me, they make Superman better and he makes them better in turn. Of course ideally a Superman show with a Legion focus (or a Legion show with a Superman focus) would be able to balance the characters well, as the original show did. Despite a heavy focus on Superman and indeed, on his relationship with Brainiac Five, there were still plenty of episodes devoted to Lightning Lad, Bouncing Boy, Triplicate Girl, etc.

And finally i don't like Superman to be paired with a lot of people. Atmost Lana, Lori, maybe Diana but finally Lois. If he sees more people he would appear to be more of a Casanova then i want him to be. If he can't keep it in his pants as soon as he finds someone attractive maybe he is peeping using those X-Rays. Maybe he is creeping on those he finds attractive? Superman is too powerful that the only way he is not fearsome is when he is kind of a square. People call him a boy scout. But he has to be somewhat like that even at the cost of appearing at times inhuman. He has to higher above us or else he can easily be dangerous. My humble request is to think about this.
    Are you saying that having multiple exes makes you more likely to spy on people? Because listen: I can't think of a single reason why that'd be true. In fact I find the claim utterly ridiculous.

Consider though: in the hypothetical show we're discussing Superman probably only dates one person, maybe another relationship midway through that he realizes isn't healthy before getting together with Brainiac Five in monogamy. It's hardly like we're debating the ethics of a hypothetical show where Superman just goes around and promiscuously picks up different women and men every night to sleep with, just a show where he becomes romantically involved with a robot.

Disregarding both those points though, I think we've just got a difference of opinion. I don't want Superman, in the general sense, to have a "soulmate". I like the idea that he has a lot of exes, not because he sleeps around or anything but because dating is complicated and people's lives and ideals often converge and then part again. In my mind, Lana, Lori, Lisa, Cat, Luma, Lois, Diana, Maxima and yes, Brainy and any other male love interests who might hypothetically arise in the future, are all worth of being "the one" for Kal in different stories, or at least all worthy of being someone that Superman thinks might be "the one" for him while they're dating. I hate the sense that everyone else is a name on a checklist Superman needs to reach to get to Lois, and that the checklist should be kept to a minimum. Lois isn't just Superman's love interest, she's a compelling character in her own right- all of Superman's love interests over the years are, all of them can round out his supporting cast without being the one he kisses, and frankly I don't think that he needs to have a love interest at all. Lois gets pigeonholed in the love interest slot though in my opinion, and one reason I like having a focus on other potential paramours is because it creates a space where Lois doesn't have to fill that role. It hasn't historically always worked out that way. Sometimes if writers can't use Lois as "Superman's Girlfriend" or "Mrs. Superman" they just ignore her- but that's not the way it ought to be, and there's no reason she can't still be Lois Lane, Ace Reporter, if he's dating Cat Grant or Lisa Laselle or Querl Dox.

And, you know, there's no reason she can't do that while romantically involved with Superman either, and when she is involved, she usually does. I like the Lois / Clark ship, I just don't like it exclusively. I want to make that clear.

I have simply expressed my feelings and thoughts as a fan of Superman. If you are offended by something simply ignore me. I am only a friend trying to share my love for Superman. I voted yes to this show.
    Well, we're all just fans expressing our thoughts and feelings of love for Superman. I'm glad you'd like a Legion show regardless of pairing. I agree that making a good Superman or Legion show should be higher priority than shipping of all things in any case.

Finally, thank you for taking more care with your spacing, it helped me read your comment a lot more easily.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Justice League cartoon made me want to find out what a Coluan/Kryptonian hybrid would be like, so of course I want to see LoSH!

I fail to see the difference between Superman fighting Brainiac if he's dating Brainy and Superman fighting Sam Lane if he's dating Lois. Paternal figures can be antagonists too; if anything it adds more drama to the proceedings.

The Legion isn't exactly the height of popularity, and Kal's been a part of the team since their very first story. To me, they make Superman better and he makes them better in turn. Of course ideally a Superman show with a Legion focus (or a Legion show with a Superman focus) would be able to balance the characters well, as the original show did. Despite a heavy focus on Superman and indeed, on his relationship with Brainiac Five, there were still plenty of episodes devoted to Lightning Lad, Bouncing Boy, Triplicate Girl, etc.

Are you saying that having multiple exes makes you more likely to spy on people? Because listen: I can't think of a single reason why that'd be true. In fact I find the claim utterly ridiculous.

Consider though: in the hypothetical show we're discussing Superman probably only dates one person, maybe another relationship midway through that he realizes isn't healthy before getting together with Brainiac Five in monogamy. It's hardly like we're debating the ethics of a hypothetical show where Superman just goes around and promiscuously picks up different women and men every night to sleep with, just a show where he becomes romantically involved with a robot.

Disregarding both those points though, I think we've just got a difference of opinion. I don't want Superman, in the general sense, to have a "soulmate". I like the idea that he has a lot of exes, not because he sleeps around or anything but because dating is complicated and people's lives and ideals often converge and then part again. In my mind, Lana, Lori, Lisa, Cat, Luma, Lois, Diana, Maxima and yes, Brainy and any other male love interests who might hypothetically arise in the future, are all worth of being "the one" for Kal in different stories, or at least all worthy of being someone that Superman thinks might be "the one" for him while they're dating. I hate the sense that everyone else is a name on a checklist Superman needs to reach to get to Lois, and that the checklist should be kept to a minimum. Lois isn't just Superman's love interest, she's a compelling character in her own right- all of Superman's love interests over the years are, all of them can round out his supporting cast without being the one he kisses, and frankly I don't think that he needs to have a love interest at all. Lois gets pigeonholed in the love interest slot though in my opinion, and one reason I like having a focus on other potential paramours is because it creates a space where Lois doesn't have to fill that role. It hasn't historically always worked out that way. Sometimes if writers can't use Lois as "Superman's Girlfriend" or "Mrs. Superman" they just ignore her- but that's not the way it ought to be, and there's no reason she can't still be Lois Lane, Ace Reporter, if he's dating Cat Grant or Lisa Laselle or Querl Dox.

And, you know, there's no reason she can't do that while romantically involved with Superman either, and when she is involved, she usually does. I like the Lois / Clark ship, I just don't like it exclusively. I want to make that clear.

Well, we're all just fans expressing our thoughts and feelings of love for Superman. I'm glad you'd like a Legion show regardless of pairing. I agree that making a good Superman or Legion show should be higher priority than shipping of all things in any case.

Finally, thank you for taking more care with your spacing, it helped me read your comment a lot more easily.
    LOSH would be at the height of popularity if DC had the sense to make more seasons and persist with it. It is a show which if made with care will appeal to every kid and those who are kids at heart. Their optimism, adventure, fun is not to be found in any other property. There is no other material like this. They are bickering teenagers. DC would make Teen Titans Go! for four seasons based on this premise but can't give LOSH a 3rd season? Each have unique powers like X-Men. As a kid i would play being Cyclops or Wolverine while somebody would be Storm or Jubilee. We would fight over whose power is the coolest. You have time travel, a futuristic setting, space villains. They have their own clubhouse. I mean only someone who has forgotten the wonder of being a kid will be uninterested in it. If this is not marketable i don't know what is marketable. You want to make a social commentary: they have a future where you have residents of different planets living together. Whether you want a show with a lighter tone or tackling serious issues this is the show to go to.

As a fan of Superman LOSH holds a special place as they are the living proof that Superman wins in the end. They are the ones who were by inspired by Superman's legacy. So they go to the past and hangout with their idol. Writers understood that teenagers hanging around with a grown man flying around Metropolis past or future is weird. So Superboy. The thing is Supergirl does this better. She is a teenager herself who is inspired by Superman. It makes more sense to be inspired by the one who like themselves is a teenager and is inspired by Superman. I feel Supergirl would be better than Superboy. She is their equal in every sense. Superboy is the original ideal and is thus not an equal even if they are of the same age. Of course its just my opinion. [And also Braniac 5 and Supergirl(everyone has their preferences)].

Well the fight between Braniac Original and Superman is problematic because sadly everyone has their preferences. Seen in this context you can pair Superman with anybody even with those he fights with if you get my beat. Thus, i would love to see Supergirl with LOSH. And if Superboy,i would still love it if he is in a platonic friendship. He is the one they are being inspired from. He is their legend and in a roundabout way their teacher. Of course they don't behave like that because they are bickering kids. That is what everyone sees and misses the underlying theme of him being their inspiration.

I don't say those with multiple relationships in past are perverts. I am just saying that according to my idea Superman is more conservative in matters of relationships partly because of awareness of his fearsome power. There is a scene in All Star Superman animated movie. He doesn't peep when Lois takes a shower in the Fortress of Solitude. But well Lois would. This shows the difference between man and Superman. For us mere humans some mischief is OK (unless you get into creepy or criminal territory which i never condone for anybody). But Superman has to be somewhat higher than this. He is already higher because he can do everything but chooses not to do so. He has X-Rays,flight,super strength but has tremendous self-control. It doesn't mean he has no feelings. But he chooses not to act upon them. Superboy knows he is their hero. For all their deep friendship he is still their inspiration and ideal. If i would be in his position i would not enter into a relationship with somebody like them. It feels wrong. His morals are more rigid then what one would expect from an ordinary teenager. If he doesn't have that super self-control he appears fearsome. Like Grant Morrison said about Superman:"Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down." That is the only way by which Superman will not appear frightening.

Teacher and student may appear very far fetched when you are taking about Superboy and LOSH. But Superman even as a boy has a thinking more deeper than anyone. You must have read American Alien. For everything good or bad it gets Superman's character right.

1.jpg

2.jpg

It is very far fetched for a kid to think that way. But Superman has X-Ray vision even in relationships. Of course writers can write anything they want for the sake of drama. But for me Superboy works as a friend. Well i am somewhat old fashioned in my thinking and i like my Supes old fashioned.

I simply love Superman and Lois Lane. It is true that taking her away from Superman can bring more oppurtunities for her character (and i am still waiting for that Lois Lane solo), but DC would not do so. They rarely give these side characters a chance to shine. In any place movie, series or cartoon she is a later idea. Make a Superman then put Lois Lane. The reverse never happens. And i just adore them together. I love Superman. But i am crazy when they are together. They make such a good couple. Whenever i have enjoyed Superman she has always been with him. She makes a good Superman story better,even when she is not with him. Red Son and Kingdom Come comes to the mind in this instance. As soon as i watch Superman seeing somebody else,it feels something like my father cheating on mother or my husband cheating on me. Its like they are taking something away from me. Something they have no right to possess. I liked Superman always but came to love him in Rebirth. So you can understand why i want to see them always together.

But i have an open mind to see that Superman is just a character. He is not just mine but belongs to everyone. Try different things with him. I won't complain. I can just imagine that is from another universe and if offensive to my sensiblities just say that is a bizzarro clone and forget. I did this with that Injustice one. No no that one is really Bizzaro. DC wants to get more comics and games to sell and that monster will be revealed to be a clone in the last issue of that series. I don't have my finger crossed.

Thank you for telling me about the spacing problem. I never knew it could be confusing.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-01-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Why Brainiac 5? That just seems way out of left field to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Why Brainiac 5? That just seems way out of left field to me.
    It was in the 2006-2007 Legion cartoon, Superman and Brainiac Five had so much chemistry that I think it must have been intentional. Either way, it gave the pairing a lot of fans, it's not just a matter of swapping out Superman for Supergirl in the relationship or anything.

LOSH would be at the height of popularity if DC had the sense to make more seasons and persist with it.
    I don't think that's exactly a fair statement. Young Justice definitely is the height of popularity, so popular that they caved and greenlit a third season just on the strength of its fans! The two seasons it got were popular enough to force WB to persist with it. I don't understand in the slightest why Legion isn't equally popular. Maybe it's because it wasn't on Cartoon Network while Young Justice was, I don't know. I agree with all the things you said about how great the Legion show was and how great all the ideas were and are, so its relative obscurity remains a really bizarre anomaly to me. My point remains though: I don't think Legion's lack of length and lack of popularity are related at all. Maybe the lack of exposure, but not the short length.

As a fan of Superman LOSH holds a special place as they are the living proof that Superman wins in the end. They are the ones who were by inspired by Superman's legacy. So they go to the past and hangout with their idol. Writers understood that teenagers hanging around with a grown man flying around Metropolis past or future is weird. So Superboy. The thing is Supergirl does this better. She is a teenager herself who is inspired by Superman. It makes more sense to be inspired by the one who like themselves is a teenager and is inspired by Superman. I feel Supergirl would be better than Superboy. She is their equal in every sense. Superboy is the original ideal and is thus not an equal even if they are of the same age. Of course its just my opinion. [And also Braniac 5 and Supergirl(everyone has their preferences)].
    Well that's why I like the recursion inherent in making Superboy the Legionnaire's friend - if they inspired him but he was also inspired and trained by them, it creates a nice little circle. Don't get me wrong, I think that Supergirl could probably stand to move the 31st Century full time, whereas her "baby cousin" basically has to be a reserve member, but there's no reason they can't both be there, and Lar and Laurel Gand too. Lar Gand by the way is one of my favorite Legionnaires and I don't think he even really makes sense if his adopted brother's not there to hang out with. I understand that he's got his fans as "Valor" but my favorite thing about him is that he's Kal-El's brother, so to me versions of him without that relationship don't work or make sense, and Kal needs to be able to go to the future regularly to visit him. The same thing really applies to the rest of the Legion- they're like Superman's old fraternity buddies from college or something. It's good if he can go see them every so often.

Well the fight between Braniac Original and Superman is problematic because sadly everyone has their preferences. Seen in this context you can pair Superman with anybody even with those he fights with if you get my beat.
    Well first of all, Brainiac Five's entire point is that he's morally opposite his evil ancestor. It's not like it's Bruce Wayne sleeping with Talia, daughter and willing accomplice of an international terrorist, Querl Dox is more like Alucard from Castlevania- fundamentally as heroic as you're going to get, and any time he goes against the other heroes it's because he's a victim of mind control or something. Taken this way, I basically don't get your beat at all.

Furthermore, Kara's known to fight Brainiac as well, if that's your ship. There's fundamentally no difference between Kara fighting Brainiac and then marrying Brainiac Five and Kal doing the same.

I don't say those with multiple relationships in past are perverts. I am just saying that according to my idea Superman is more conservative in matters of relationships partly because of awareness of his fearsome power. There is a scene in All Star Superman animated movie. He doesn't peep when Lois takes a shower in the Fortress of Solitude. But well Lois would. This shows the difference between man and Superman. For us mere humans some mischief is OK (unless you get into creepy or criminal territory which i never condone for anybody). But Superman has to be somewhat higher than this. He is already higher because he can do everything but chooses not to do so. He has X-Rays,flight,super strength but has tremendous self-control. It doesn't mean he has no feelings. But he chooses not to act upon them. Superboy knows he is their hero. For all their deep friendship he is still their inspiration and ideal. If i would be in his position i would not enter into a relationship with somebody like them. It feels wrong. His morals are more rigid then what one would expect from an ordinary teenager. If he doesn't have that super self-control he appears fearsome. Like Grant Morrison said about Superman:"Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down." That is the only way by which Superman will not appear frightening.
    I just completely and totally do not understand what Superman's incorruptibility has to do with his dating habits. You keep coming back to this, the idea that Superman is a teacher and an inspiration, both in his ideal and in practice, and I'm not at all opposed to this idea, but why in Rao's name should that mean he can't have a number of sustained, committed relationships one after another? There's no implication that he'd even spy on his spouse in the shower, much less a girlfriend or boyfriend, but that's what you seem to say, even if you don't mean to- that if he's dated multiple people it makes him less of an ideal? Why would that be? Why would dating several people, at different times mind you and giving each relationship his full attention, equate with a lack of self-control? I just straight up one hundred percent do not understand where you're drawing this conclusion from.

I simply love Superman and Lois Lane. It is true that taking her away from Superman can bring more oppurtunities for her character (and i am still waiting for that Lois Lane solo), but DC would not do so. They rarely give these side characters a chance to shine. In any place movie, series or cartoon she is a later idea. Make a Superman then put Lois Lane. The reverse never happens. And i just adore them together. I love Superman. But i am crazy when they are together. They make such a good couple. Whenever i have enjoyed Superman she has always been with him. She makes a good Superman story better,even when she is not with him. Red Son and Kingdom Come comes to the mind in this instance. As soon as i watch Superman seeing somebody else,it feels something like my father cheating on mother or my husband cheating on me. Its like they are taking something away from me. Something they have no right to possess. I liked Superman always but came to love him in Rebirth. So you can understand why i want to see them always together.
    I think Lois is a brilliant and necessary supporting cast member, and like you I think that any Metropolis based Superman story ought to have her. I would even go so far as to say that there should always be a major mainstream version of the character who winds up with Lois!

That said, I think that setting her up as the only possible love interest for Superman doesn't work, or might even be a recipe for disaster. Many stories have her die, prompting Superman to turn evil, or act as if he could never choose between saving her and saving the world. This premise is plainly ridiculous. I don't think that it's Lois's fault as a character that some writers act as if she's what tethers him to morality, but I do think that if she wasn't treated as his One And Only True Love in so many stories, it'd remind people that Superman isn't good because of Lois Lane, he's good because of Clark Kent and because of Kal-El. Setting him up with others might remind the public that he's still a good man, the greatest of men, even if he's with someone else, not as a stepping stone to Lois but as a committed relationship in its own right.

But i have an open mind to see that Superman is just a character. He is not just mine but belongs to everyone. Try different things with him. I won't complain. I can just imagine that is from another universe and if offensive to my sensiblities just say that is a bizzarro clone and forget. I did this with that Injustice one. No no that one is really Bizzaro. DC wants to get more comics and games to sell and that monster will be revealed to be a clone in the last issue of that series. I don't have my finger crossed.
    I generally think that trying different things with Superman is a good idea and helps to avoid stagnation. That said, I've got no hopes for Injustice either, as that Superman was literally designed from the ground up to be irredeemably monstrous. There's literally a version of Kal-El raised by Adolf Hitler who is a better person than Injustice Superman. Injustice is a lost cause. At least at the video game's climax the Real Superman shows up from a parallel world to wipe the floor with his despotic doppelganger.

That said, I don't think that a Superman show with a Legion emphasis where Clark happens to wind up with Brainiac Five ought to offend your sensibilities the same way as a Superman that murders a ten year old does.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

It was in the 2006-2007 Legion cartoon, Superman and Brainiac Five had so much chemistry that I think it must have been intentional. Either way, it gave the pairing a lot of fans, it's not just a matter of swapping out Superman for Supergirl in the relationship or anything.

I don't think that's exactly a fair statement. Young Justice definitely is the height of popularity, so popular that they caved and greenlit a third season just on the strength of its fans! The two seasons it got were popular enough to force WB to persist with it. I don't understand in the slightest why Legion isn't equally popular. Maybe it's because it wasn't on Cartoon Network while Young Justice was, I don't know. I agree with all the things you said about how great the Legion show was and how great all the ideas were and are, so its relative obscurity remains a really bizarre anomaly to me. My point remains though: I don't think Legion's lack of length and lack of popularity are related at all. Maybe the lack of exposure, but not the short length.

Well that's why I like the recursion inherent in making Superboy the Legionnaire's friend - if they inspired him but he was also inspired and trained by them, it creates a nice little circle. Don't get me wrong, I think that Supergirl could probably stand to move the 31st Century full time, whereas her "baby cousin" basically has to be a reserve member, but there's no reason they can't both be there, and Lar and Laurel Gand too. Lar Gand by the way is one of my favorite Legionnaires and I don't think he even really makes sense if his adopted brother's not there to hang out with. I understand that he's got his fans as "Valor" but my favorite thing about him is that he's Kal-El's brother, so to me versions of him without that relationship don't work or make sense, and Kal needs to be able to go to the future regularly to visit him. The same thing really applies to the rest of the Legion- they're like Superman's old fraternity buddies from college or something. It's good if he can go see them every so often.

Well first of all, Brainiac Five's entire point is that he's morally opposite his evil ancestor. It's not like it's Bruce Wayne sleeping with Talia, daughter and willing accomplice of an international terrorist, Querl Dox is more like Alucard from Castlevania- fundamentally as heroic as you're going to get, and any time he goes against the other heroes it's because he's a victim of mind control or something. Taken this way, I basically don't get your beat at all.

Furthermore, Kara's known to fight Brainiac as well, if that's your ship. There's fundamentally no difference between Kara fighting Brainiac and then marrying Brainiac Five and Kal doing the same.

I just completely and totally do not understand what Superman's incorruptibility has to do with his dating habits. You keep coming back to this, the idea that Superman is a teacher and an inspiration, both in his ideal and in practice, and I'm not at all opposed to this idea, but why in Rao's name should that mean he can't have a number of sustained, committed relationships one after another? There's no implication that he'd even spy on his spouse in the shower, much less a girlfriend or boyfriend, but that's what you seem to say, even if you don't mean to- that if he's dated multiple people it makes him less of an ideal? Why would that be? Why would dating several people, at different times mind you and giving each relationship his full attention, equate with a lack of self-control? I just straight up one hundred percent do not understand where you're drawing this conclusion from.

I think Lois is a brilliant and necessary supporting cast member, and like you I think that any Metropolis based Superman story ought to have her. I would even go so far as to say that there should always be a major mainstream version of the character who winds up with Lois!

That said, I think that setting her up as the only possible love interest for Superman doesn't work, or might even be a recipe for disaster. Many stories have her die, prompting Superman to turn evil, or act as if he could never choose between saving her and saving the world. This premise is plainly ridiculous. I don't think that it's Lois's fault as a character that some writers act as if she's what tethers him to morality, but I do think that if she wasn't treated as his One And Only True Love in so many stories, it'd remind people that Superman isn't good because of Lois Lane, he's good because of Clark Kent and because of Kal-El. Setting him up with others might remind the public that he's still a good man, the greatest of men, even if he's with someone else, not as a stepping stone to Lois but as a committed relationship in its own right.

I generally think that trying different things with Superman is a good idea and helps to avoid stagnation. That said, I've got no hopes for Injustice either, as that Superman was literally designed from the ground up to be irredeemably monstrous. There's literally a version of Kal-El raised by Adolf Hitler who is a better person than Injustice Superman. Injustice is a lost cause. At least at the video game's climax the Real Superman shows up from a parallel world to wipe the floor with his despotic doppelganger.

That said, I don't think that a Superman show with a Legion emphasis where Clark happens to wind up with Brainiac Five ought to offend your sensibilities the same way as a Superman that murders a ten year old does.
    Well i did not say Superman to have only one relationship in life. Lois shall be the final one.

Injustice one killed a ten year old! I just played the 1st game and read a few comics in the series. I said that because some people did not like a gay Superman. I just gave an idea to them. If you don' t like this do something like this. LOSH has to be on screen irrespective of something you like or dislike. We shall ignore something which we don't like instead of spreading hate.

I know Young Justice is the best one. I used hyperbole here. My intention was to show that LOSH is a very markeatable idea. A cross between many genres. It shall not be very difficult to pitch a LOSH cartoon because it has many things kids would like to see. I said DC shall try one if only on the basis of strength of the idea alone.

Well as relationships are concerned i am simply old fashioned. Showing Superman in many relationships can be turned tasteless. I don't like the handling of most relationships in comics. Like Bruce sleeping with Selina on rooftops. Some find it romantic i find it tasteless. So if i would have been the Editor i would have kept Supes relationships to at max Lana then Lori a triangle between Cat and Lois. Finally Lois. I like Supes as a father figure. So i put impossibly high standards on him. Would you like your father to have many relationships? But then its your viewpoint. I like Superman to be awkward around women. Not like some nerdy Spider-man who dates a lot of gorgeous women. Seriously for all his awkwardness he s a lucky guy.( I love Spidey btw).

I won't explain the beat. Please forgive me i don't want to spread hate speech here. It is nice to see everyone sharing love for Superman. If you really want i can give a clue: an irresistible force meets an immovable object. Best is you forget it.

Finally i don't like this pairing. Don't i have my own preference?

BANNED

I understand preference for different kinds of relationships, people have different ideas as to what's appropriate for the character, what would be best for the character. My personal preference is a Superman that doesn't have any romantic relationships, and he doesn't have a desire for any romantic relationship.

But tying his romantic history to his moral character is making a moral judgement, intentional or not. To say that Superman wouldn't have a lot of romantic relationships because he is of a higher moral character, is saying that having less relationships is more moral than having more.

Giving regular people a pass for things like spying on others in the shower, and only making it unacceptable for someone like Superman is also troubling. Not spying on someone showering is a low bar to clear. It shouldn't be made out to be some display of super moral character.

I think something you bring up is that a relationship between Superman and Legion members is that there might be an uneven power dynamic because of how the Legion view Superman. This is a valid concern, one of the reasons why I take issue with how past Superman romances have frequently been written, but such a dynamic doesn't need to exist unless the writers want it to, and from what past Legion stories tell us, while the Legion respects him, they still treat him as just one of their friends. I don't remember that uneven dynamic been in a thing in past comics.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 09-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I understand preference for different kinds of relationships, people have different ideas as to what's appropriate for the character, what would be best for the character. My personal preference is a Superman that doesn't have any romantic relationships, and he doesn't have a desire for any romantic relationship.

But tying his romantic history to his moral character is making a moral judgement, intentional or not. To say that Superman wouldn't have a lot of romantic relationships because he is of a higher moral character, is saying that having less relationships is more moral than having more.

Giving regular people a pass for things like spying on others in the shower, and only making it unacceptable for someone like Superman is also troubling. Not spying on someone showering is a low bar to clear. It shouldn't be made out to be some display of super moral character.

I think something you bring up is that a relationship between Superman and Legion members is that there might be an uneven power dynamic because of how the Legion view Superman. This is a valid concern, but such a dynamic doesn't need to exist unless the writers want it to, and from what past Legion stories tell us, while the Legion respects him, they still treat him as just one of their friends.
    I did not say people have a pass to peep in showers. Jeez i said he is an ideal and inspiration one shall strive for. I never condone such acts. I just gave an example to show humans are imperfect and shall strive to be better just like Superman does. People think him to be a bumbling oaf. But he is intelligent and always reflects upon what is right and what is wrong.

He doesn't flow with any impulse or whim. This depends on the writers but one shall not override this part of Superman. He is thoughtful and reflective. Don't do anything rash with the character.

BANNED

I did not say people have a pass to peep in showers. Jeez i said he is an ideal and inspiration one shall strive for. I never condone such acts. I just gave an example to show humans are imperfect and shall strive to be better just like Superman does. People think him to be a bumbling oaf. But he is intelligent and always reflects upon what is right and what is wrong.

He doesn't flow with any impulse or whim. This depends on the writers but one shall not override this part of Superman. He is thoughtful and reflective. Don't do anything rash with the character.
    The thing about using the shower example as an imperfection is that isn't just a minor "human" character flaw, it's just flat out gross. It's one of those things that's considerd bad, but also written off as "boys will be boys".

Unfortunately, it is something that has already made its way into the Superverse.

In American Alien, Clark says he used to use X-ray vision to see people naked but stopped because it looked weird, and in Smallville the first time he gets X-ray vision he's looking into the girl's locker room. He wasn't trying to look, but when it activated he just kept looking with a huge smile on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    The thing about using the shower example as an imperfection is that isn't just a minor "human" character flaw, it's just flat out gross. It's one of those things that's considerd bad, but also written off as "boys will be boys".

Unfortunately, it is something that has already made its way into the Superverse.

In American Alien, Clark says he used to use X-ray vision to see people naked but stopped because it looked weird, and in Smallville the first time he gets X-ray vision he's looking into the girl's locker room. He wasn't trying to look, but when it activated he just kept looking with a huge smile on his face.
    I loved American Alien but hated that second issue. There were some moments in that series which i did not like. So what happens when you try to turn Superman more relatable.? It is a slippery path and we don't know what is next? That is why i like Superman to be more clean cut, even boring. A romance or two. Then settled down with family. Creators have weird ideas. Even if my moral judgement is different from others( i have a different upbringing. My passing judgement was unintentional) when is it when we stop. Clean cut father figure is the best in my opinion. This can be made interesting in right hands. He has flaws but tries to be better.

BANNED

I thought the 2nd issue was good overall. I don't consider American Alien to be as a good as most others, but it wasn't bad overall.

As for a more a conservative Superman. I really dislike it.

While I've enjoyed some stories coming out of Rebirth, I loathe the nuclear family dynamic and current status quo.