View Poll Results: Was the Parker Industries era a Success?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 20.97%
  • A Bit Mixed

19 30.65%
  • No

30 48.39%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It was quite a cool and interesting.
    Peter Parker runing the Parker industries allowed for the stories to be more global,and have been cool to see Spidey adventures over diferente places.
    With Peter being the CEO of Parker industries it made for a interesting paralel with the SHIELD and Iron Man stories and thats something unique in the Spider-Man stories.
    So yeah,i am looking forward to the next story direction of the Spider-Man stories but still i think Parker Industries was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    So for me, it was not a success, but I'm sure someone will just point to Amazing's sales and say "you're wrong."
    There is a difference between financial success, critical success, and fan/general audience success. For example, in the movie industry, the movies that get passed on from generation to generation aren't always the box office hits or the critical successes (case in point, how many Oscar winner films are still stapes of most people's video collections/play lists?)

I'd go with mixed.

It's not bad, but the book has been better. The best regarded story by the standard creative team wasn't really part of the Parker Industries status quo (the Renew Your Vows mini.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member SilverSpider's Avatar

I feel that overall the change of status quo benefited Peter, but I would prefer him be at the head of a small company rather than a worldwide global tech company as his responsibilities as Spidey make it impossible for him to commit properly to his company. Alas as a fun fact I converted the vote results so far to precentages:

1) 45,83% said no
    2) 29,17% said mixed
    3) 25% said yes
    Creativity is awesome.

It's a cruel world, that doesn't care for you. Which is why remember to always smile.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It was a swing and a miss for me. I really enjoyed Peter's role at Horizon Industries but the entire Parker Industries era---essentially all of Volume 3 and Volume 4 of the title---just didn't work for me. Part of it is the whole Stark-Lite persona just really isn't a good look on Peter Parker, part of it was that it didn't really open the door for any interesting new stories; in fact, I thought it brought us one of the more boring arcs in recent memory (the Zodiac arc). Some of the more interesting parts of Peter's work life at Horizon such as keeping his secret from Max Modell and his camaraderie with his fellow inventors was all washed and for what?

This was easily one of my least favorite runs in recent Spidey history.
    I agree with some of this. Peter worked much better as an employee at Horizons than as boss at Parker Ind.

I do think though that the natural progression would be for Peter to continually upgrade his webbing and weapons much like Otto did in Superior. Peter is just too smart not to do that.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

All I am going to say here is that it was just okay to me. It wasn't great, but overall, I have seen worse with Spider-Man at the same time. It would have been better, IMO, if Marvel had a Spider-Man alternate universe where Peter Parker had a company that he himself, and not Ock inside his body, built it. Let's be honest here, if he had the company, and the marriage, 75 to 80 percent of any complaints would be gone.
    Trust me, evne if the marriage was still here, i would still have problesm with this status, i was opposed to this idea from the start, MJ or not and i don't like Slott's writting, i don't even like his Renew Your Vows mini all that much. That being said, i agreed that this wasn't the worst of the worst from the characther.

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I agree with some of this. Peter worked much better as an employee at Horizons than as boss at Parker Ind.

I do think though that the natural progression would be for Peter to continually upgrade his webbing and weapons much like Otto did in Superior. Peter is just too smart not to do that.
    Worst part is that when Peter did end up confronting Otto, Slott wrote it as that Peter had become too reliant on his gadgets despite the fact that, realistically changing things up prevents stagnation and predictably. Sure the vehicles were a bit much but I loved the spider armor and different webs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Worst part is that when Peter did end up confronting Otto, Slott wrote it as that Peter had become too reliant on his gadgets despite the fact that, realistically changing things up prevents stagnation and predictably. Sure the vehicles were a bit much but I loved the spider armor and different webs.
    I don't want him to be an all gadgets Spider-Man, but he should have special webbing for his usual villains. He's too smart not to have figured that out by now. And if he gets trounced by someone new, he should go to his lab and be able to figure out a way to either neutralize their powers or make adjustments to his suit so it doesn't affect him ;like the previous time. Like special lenses in his eyes so extreme light doesn't blind him, etc.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I don't want him to be an all gadgets Spider-Man, but he should have special webbing for his usual villains. He's too smart not to have figured that out by now. And if he gets trounced by someone new, he should go to his lab and be able to figure out a way to either neutralize their powers or make adjustments to his suit so it doesn't affect him ;like the previous time. Like special lenses in his eyes so extreme light doesn't blind him, etc.
    Maybe this is just me, but honestly I think the only tech Peter needs is web-shooters and maybe a Spider-Signal.

I just don't think he really needs all too many gadgets or gizmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe this is just me, but honestly I think the only tech Peter needs is web-shooters and maybe a Spider-Signal.

I just don't think he really needs all too many gadgets or gizmos.
    The natural progression would be for him to do so. Again, what Otto did is what Peter should be doing--constantly upgrading and coming up with ways to counter his opponents.

Otherwise, it's just the same Peter Parker stories over and over.

The natural progression would be for him to do so. Again, what Otto did is what Peter should be doing--constantly upgrading and coming up with ways to counter his opponents.

Otherwise, it's just the same Peter Parker stories over and over.
    But I just don't think Spidey constantly upgrading himself ala Iron Man or Batman really works, when it's less about his tech and more about his ingenuity and instincts.

I remember that line in Spectacular Spider-Man, the cartoon, where he talked about making his webbing stronger since bad guys were starting to tear it apart with ease. But even with just his web-shooters and Spider-Signal, Peter always managed to beat the villains with his cleverness, adaptability, and smarts.

And I think that's more important to the character then constant tech upgrades.

But I just don't think Spidey constantly upgrading himself ala Iron Man or Batman really works, when it's less about his tech and more about his ingenuity and instincts.

I remember that line in Spectacular Spider-Man, the cartoon, where he talked about making his webbing stronger since bad guys were starting to tear it apart with ease. But even with just his web-shooters and Spider-Signal, Peter always managed to beat the villains with his cleverness, adaptability, and smarts.

And I think that's more important to the character then constant tech upgrades.
    But if he doesn't than his stories just become stagnant to me. Might as well just read back issues from Lee/Ditko and Stern/JRJR then.

But if he doesn't than his stories just become stagnant to me. Might as well just read back issues from Lee/Ditko and Stern/JRJR then.
    I dunno, if the fights are good and enjoyable, I have no reason to complain .

I dunno, if the fights are good and enjoyable, I have no reason to complain .
    That's cool. We just have different ideas for Spidey is all.

That's cool. We just have different ideas for Spidey is all.
    Fair enough .