Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wally Wood's two-part WIZARD KING featured a sorcerer named Alcazar. In the first part he just does magic, but he also seems involved in scientific stuff in the second part. to which I devoted a detailed review here. The same essay contains a link to an essay on the first part of WIZARD KING, too.
    Last edited by ouroboros; 09-08-2017 at 01:59 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Does Darth Vader count?
    If so, seems like all the Sith and Jedi would count.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    While Jedi and Sith seem to be stand-ins for wizards, I'd put the bar for being a scientist/engineer much higher in such a universe - like doing something that isn't able to be done by nearly anybody. Merely flying a starfighter or using a blaster isn't enough, nor is fixing up a droid.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Joseph Curwen from Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is both a pre-modern scientist and sorcerer.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    Doctor Doom doesn't have a diploma, does he?
    Doom may be many things, but Doom is not a liar. If he calls himself Doctor Doom, he at least forced a Latverian school to give him one. Also, Doom is the most brilliant robotics expert of our time. He'd be a scientist by a different definition, the way Leonardo Davinci was.

BANNED

Not all of them are scientists just because they live in a sci-fi setting. Vader is a mechanical genius who built his own advanced robot at age 10.

Forge is more of an inventor than scientist. He does have magical abilities but doesn't use them much.
    When you lose the rhythm of the drumbeat of god, you are lost from the peace and rhythm of life.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    While Jedi and Sith seem to be stand-ins for wizards, I'd put the bar for being a scientist/engineer much higher in such a universe - like doing something that isn't able to be done by nearly anybody. Merely flying a starfighter or using a blaster isn't enough, nor is fixing up a droid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Not all of them are scientists just because they live in a sci-fi setting. Vader is a mechanical genius who built his own advanced robot at age 10.
    I grant both of your points. However, in (the dreadful) Phantom Menace, Obi Wan directs the repairs to Queen Padme's ship, and Darth Maul makes heavy use of technology, including surveillance drones, to supplement his own abilities. Still, as I said, I see you points.

What about Sakura, Tsunade, Shizune, and the other medical ninjas on Naruto? They use chakra, which is practically magic, and the three characters I just named frequently deal with the examining of cells, crafting antidotes and poisons, and (in Tsunade's case) performing reconstructive surgery.

Old thread, I know, but it took awhile for the character(s) to come to me.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York