Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast
    Amazing Member

[QUOTE=Huntsman Spider;6089103]Sounds very good so far. I'm wondering what you think of the Valkyrie 2099 that debuted in Spider-Man 2099: Exodus #2 this past Wednesday, though.

The idea for them (and others) came from the Amazing Spider-Man 2099 storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, MC2 is specifically a world where the heroic age continued to the next generation - though that generation is mostly new characters, as apart from Cassie Lang, none of the Young Avengers or Champions had debuted yet at the time that universe started. If MC2 was done now, it's likely that the Avengers would be some combination of the two modern teen teams.
    Yeah the OG MC2 had Jubilee as a major player in the X-People. So yeah teen heroes would be non-teens.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

[QUOTE=Dr. No Good;6090064]
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Sounds very good so far. I'm wondering what you think of the Valkyrie 2099 that debuted in Spider-Man 2099: Exodus #2 this past Wednesday, though.

The idea for them (and others) came from the Amazing Spider-Man 2099 storyline.
    Cool. And speaking of 2099, I have one more revamp in mind.

X-Men 2099

Krakoa has stood as a refuge for mutants for decades now, a living island nation that provides for their every physical and material need or want, ever since the longstanding tension and conflict between humans and mutants flared into outright war, ending with much of the planet devastated and far too many casualties on both sides. Even though humankind succeeded in purging itself of the "mutant scourge," Krakoa's growth and its resources have not escaped the notice of the megacorporations that now dominate what's left of the planet and society, now seeking to take those resources for themselves. To that end, Alchemax and Stark-Fujikawa have spent years fielding "corporate raiders," biologically, cybernetically, and genetically enhanced operatives, for incursions on Krakoa, each time fended off and turned back thanks to Krakoa's chief defenders --- the X-Men . . . and Krakoa's getting tired of the megacorps' incursions.

As such, the leadership of Krakoa comes up with a plan, to send a contingent of X-Men into the world that rejected their kind so they can take down the megacorps seeking to take Krakoa's land and resources for themselves. As to how? Thanks to their coordinator, Shakti Haddad, a telepathic and technopathic Krakoan with a direct neural interface with Cerebra, the successor to Cerebro, the X-Men of 2099 can detect latent mutants who've had their X-genes forcibly suppressed by way of nanite-based vaccines designed to neutralize "abnormal mutations," and in turn neutralize those nanites through Shakti's technopathy. The X-Men's plan, ultimately, is to awaken as many dormant mutants in human society as possible and then recruit them into the fight against the megacorps, not only to keep Krakoa free from the megacorps' exploitation and domination, but down the line, to free humanity as a whole from the megacorps' iron grip on the world. However, will the wounds of the past, along with longstanding fears and hatreds, keep that dream from becoming a reality, just as they kept Charles Xavier's former dream from becoming reality so long ago?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Heh, reminds me of a fan-fic idea I came up with years back.

Monica Rappaccini decides she wants to weaponize super-soldiers in a way that hadn't been done successfully... yet. Genetic enhancements? Enh, not THAT ground-breaking. A.I.M.'s done it before. But the plan has two steps. Monica realizes that while she COULD make a bunch of supersoldiers, making a batch job would give S.H.I.E.L.D. a profile to look for. So after pondering things she decides to do something radical. Something that could lead to the extinction of the Human race(as we know it).

See, Monica has reasoned that if she was able to create diversion S.H.I.E.L.D. would never be able to be sure if it was A.I.M. agents or not until it was too late. The problem... is that the "diversion" needed to be random people who don't know they're a diversion, but show up on scanners nearly the same as AIM supersoldiers. So Monica has a research team figure out a way to make a complex mutagenic virus that, normally, only gives you such low-level powers you'd barely notice(most commonly and rather ironically: an enhanced immune system). But with the right stimulation can result in some extremely impressive powers.

But the twist is this needs data Monica doesn't have. So she talks Exodus into helping her acquire both copies of Mr. Sinister's research data, and Genoshan Magistrate techniques. Oh and yes, this DOES mean that anyone infected with her virus reads as a Mutant, though dna from several species was used, to include Skrull, Shiar and Kree. Part of this reasoning is that making it variable means it's harder to refine a proper baseline in scan results, but also adds more options for customization of powers. Also, there's more than one strain, just to make it harder to counter.

In practice, it sort of works. Monica is able to use the procedure first on a lab assistant(new character: Summer Hernandez) who helped create one of the virus strains, and after that worked, on herself. The powers package used in these cases has several psionic abilities, and also being tough enough to get smacked around by the Hulk. It didn't work 100% perfectly on either but was close enough that it was considered a success. In the case of the assistant, the flaw was subtle reductions in the effectiveness of some of her powers, in Monica's case it was her skin turned green.

Aftermath though? Monica succeeds at virus dispersal. An unknown, but probably in the thousands(or millions?) number of people have their DNA re-written by it.... some develop actual super powers though... not many, but some.... and the Sentinels freak out as the number of Mutants skyrockets.... And that other... obvious stuff. well, I never got around to actually figuring out an "endgame"... but the fallout was something Monica hadn't really expected. There were now dozens of people who were now super-Mutants... and any of THEIR children.... yeah... genetic re-writes happened. The genie has left the bottle.

This is kinda the opposite scenario. Although, if the virus makes "fake" Mutants, then it might not count for the Xmen's purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, reminds me of a fan-fic idea I came up with years back.

Monica Rappaccini decides she wants to weaponize super-soldiers in a way that hadn't been done successfully... yet. Genetic enhancements? Enh, not THAT ground-breaking. A.I.M.'s done it before. But the plan has two steps. Monica realizes that while she COULD make a bunch of supersoldiers, making a batch job would give S.H.I.E.L.D. a profile to look for. So after pondering things she decides to do something radical. Something that could lead to the extinction of the Human race(as we know it).

See, Monica has reasoned that if she was able to create diversion S.H.I.E.L.D. would never be able to be sure if it was A.I.M. agents or not until it was too late. The problem... is that the "diversion" needed to be random people who don't know they're a diversion, but show up on scanners nearly the same as AIM supersoldiers. So Monica has a research team figure out a way to make a complex mutagenic virus that, normally, only gives you such low-level powers you'd barely notice(most commonly and rather ironically: an enhanced immune system). But with the right stimulation can result in some extremely impressive powers.

But the twist is this needs data Monica doesn't have. So she talks Exodus into helping her acquire both copies of Mr. Sinister's research data, and Genoshan Magistrate techniques. Oh and yes, this DOES mean that anyone infected with her virus reads as a Mutant, though dna from several species was used, to include Skrull, Shiar and Kree. Part of this reasoning is that making it variable means it's harder to refine a proper baseline in scan results, but also adds more options for customization of powers. Also, there's more than one strain, just to make it harder to counter.

In practice, it sort of works. Monica is able to use the procedure first on a lab assistant(new character: Summer Hernandez) who helped create one of the virus strains, and after that worked, on herself. The powers package used in these cases has several psionic abilities, and also being tough enough to get smacked around by the Hulk. It didn't work 100% perfectly on either but was close enough that it was considered a success. In the case of the assistant, the flaw was subtle reductions in the effectiveness of some of her powers, in Monica's case it was her skin turned green.

Aftermath though? Monica succeeds at virus dispersal. An unknown, but probably in the thousands(or millions?) number of people have their DNA re-written by it.... some develop actual super powers though... not many, but some.... and the Sentinels freak out as the number of Mutants skyrockets.... And that other... obvious stuff. well, I never got around to actually figuring out an "endgame"... but the fallout was something Monica hadn't really expected. There were now dozens of people who were now super-Mutants... and any of THEIR children.... yeah... genetic re-writes happened. The genie has left the bottle.

This is kinda the opposite scenario. Although, if the virus makes "fake" Mutants, then it might not count for the Xmen's purposes.
    Sounds like how mutants were created in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, with experiments using Wolverine's DNA in combination with some kind of nanite compound that was accidentally dispersed across the planet and interacted with some people's DNA in ways that manifested as superhuman abilities of varying effectiveness and controllability. Magneto in that universe had a total meltdown after realizing that mutants were just an artificial byproduct of the various super-soldier experiments attempting to replace Captain America when Captain America was presumed dead following World War II, and not "the next stage of human evolution." Fun times . . . aside from the mass death and destruction before that moment.

Sounds like how mutants were created in the Ultimate Marvel Universe, with experiments using Wolverine's DNA in combination with some kind of nanite compound that was accidentally dispersed across the planet and interacted with some people's DNA in ways that manifested as superhuman abilities of varying effectiveness and controllability. Magneto in that universe had a total meltdown after realizing that mutants were just an artificial byproduct of the various super-soldier experiments attempting to replace Captain America when Captain America was presumed dead following World War II, and not "the next stage of human evolution." Fun times . . . aside from the mass death and destruction before that moment.
    Ohhh... that's interesting. What's Wolverine's origin then? what of the various characters that in the main universe are Mutants older than Wolverine?

Ohhh... that's interesting. What's Wolverine's origin then? what of the various characters that in the main universe are Mutants older than Wolverine?
    That's a very good question. And Wolverine's origin in Ultimate Marvel turned out that he was a super-soldier experiment similar to Captain America and the first "true" mutant, as his DNA was the key component in the nanite compound used to accidentally spread mutations throughout the world.

That's a very good question. And Wolverine's origin in Ultimate Marvel turned out that he was a super-soldier experiment similar to Captain America and the first "true" mutant, as his DNA was the key component in the nanite compound used to accidentally spread mutations throughout the world.
    So... weird genetic tinkering created the X-gene in Ultimate?

Hunh, looked it up and somehow in Ultimate... Magneto is not only younger than Wolverine, but connected to Weapon X...
    Last edited by marhawkman; 06-23-2022 at 02:10 PM.

So... weird genetic tinkering created the X-gene in Ultimate?

Hunh, looked it up and somehow in Ultimate... Magneto is not only younger than Wolverine, but connected to Weapon X...
    Exactly. In Ultimate Marvel, mutants turned out to just be another byproduct of the clandestine super-soldier arms race in the wake of Captain America's disappearance and seeming death at the end of World War II. As for Magneto being younger than Wolverine in that continuity, that would be because he was never a Holocaust survivor, unlike in 616. Hell, Ultimate Marvel tried pretty damn hard to prune that version of anything that could be read as sympathetic, given it was post-9/11 and all.

looked into it more and... Wolverine wasn't seemingly the source of the X-Gene. He was the first "Mutant" created from it though.

looked into it more and... Wolverine wasn't seemingly the source of the X-Gene. He was the first "Mutant" created from it though.
    Ok, then. I might have conflated some things. Thanks for the clarification, though.

Ok, then. I might have conflated some things. Thanks for the clarification, though.
    Yeah, I looked it up on the Marvel fandom, and it claimed that Wolverine got his powers from having genetic splicing to re-write his DNA. But I couldn't find where the scientists found the DNA they spliced into Wolverine. And then they used it to turn a ridiculous number of people into Mutants.

Yeah, I looked it up on the Marvel fandom, and it claimed that Wolverine got his powers from having genetic splicing to re-write his DNA. But I couldn't find where the scientists found the DNA they spliced into Wolverine. And then they used it to turn a ridiculous number of people into Mutants.
    Indeed. Worldwide dispersal via nanotech, if I recall right.

To fix Miles's What If miniseries, I'd change the Variants he meets. Rather than Miles as different superheroes, I'd pitch Miles through different walks of life. So far I just have Miles without powers and is Ganke's sidekick, and a variant that works with his uncle. I'd figure out 3 more if I had to pitch it but yeah this would be a more focused take and a better use of the Multiverse.

The current take is too random and half-hearted to care about.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 07-03-2022 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    To fix Miles's What If miniseries, I'd change the Variants he meets. Rather than Miles as different superheroes, I'd pitch Miles through different walks of life. So far I just have Miles without powers and is Ganke's sidekick, and a variant that works with his uncle. I'd figure out 3 more if I had to pitch it but yeah this would be a more focused take and a better use of the Multiverse.

The current take is too random and half-hearted to care about.
    Works for me. Hell, there's a simple fix for the last one that came out --- merge the Afrofuturistic aesthetics of Wakanda with the iconography of Asgard. Make it like it was when Asgard was hovering over Oklahoma back in the JMS Thor run, but with New York City instead. Hyper-advanced technology and ancient magic and divinity intertwined with modern urban (as in city) cultural and fashion sensibilities. In shorter words, don't be nearly so goddamned stereotypical.