Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

HELLCAT

whenever I see her, I can't help but see Buffy the Vampire Slayer. she just seems like a Whedon character; her bubbly personality and relationship with some supernatural villain. so, if I were to revamp it, I would just start there. Her mother would still make the seemingly fictional accounting of her life into a popular teen novel. but all of it would be her real high school experience. Daimon, Buzz, Hedy would all be present and accounted for. and their entire town would be the focal point of strangeness; alien invasions, demonic possessions, mad science, etc. I would try to work the Salem Seven into it somehow, as well. and a lot of the stories would be told in the past; to allow Hellcat to do other standard crimefighting stuff in the present. she'd still be have her gymnastics background and magical warning system. but I'd also make her physically stronger/more durable to allow her to better defend the town's population. I might also have Kyle Richmond be the regular dude in her circle of friends who longingly wants to be a costumed superhero/be part of that world (which he, eventually, will be).

CLOAK AND DAGGER - never liked the characters but I want to. they have cool code names. anyways, a lot of this will be informed by Netflix Iron Fist. i liked the angle they gave to Colleen Wing. so I'd have Ty and Tandy be students at a martial arts dojo (pick one of Marvel's martial artists). they'd still be runaways; the dojo would be home to a number of "lost" individuals. but there'd be a similar element to whatever organization set up the dojo. Ty and Tandy would be some of the only ones to survive the ceremony that gave them powers. I might make a connection between the two and Martin Li/Mr.Negative; to set up the later stuff. I'd get rid of Ty's stutter. he'd still have been bullied. Tandy would still enjoy dancing. they'd still see protecting runaways as one of their main goals. they'd also tackle the drug trade in the area. the sect that gave them their powers would also be in the narcotics trafficking business.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that's an interesting twist on it. I like the Dwayne Taylor as a benefactor (strings attached) angle.
    Thanks, and yes, there would be "strings attached," in the sense that Dwayne wants Vance on his side, not just for his powers, but also for his innate goodness of character, basically the Superman to his Batman, someone whose light can keep him from tipping too far into the darkness even if he has to delve into it to achieve his (noble) goals.

HELLCAT

whenever I see her, I can't help but see Buffy the Vampire Slayer. she just seems like a Whedon character; her bubbly personality and relationship with some supernatural villain. so, if I were to revamp it, I would just start there. Her mother would still make the seemingly fictional accounting of her life into a popular teen novel. but all of it would be her real high school experience. Daimon, Buzz, Hedy would all be present and accounted for. and their entire town would be the focal point of strangeness; alien invasions, demonic possessions, mad science, etc. I would try to work the Salem Seven into it somehow, as well. and a lot of the stories would be told in the past; to allow Hellcat to do other standard crimefighting stuff in the present. she'd still be have her gymnastics background and magical warning system. but I'd also make her physically stronger/more durable to allow her to better defend the town's population. I might also have Kyle Richmond be the regular dude in her circle of friends who longingly wants to be a costumed superhero/be part of that world (which he, eventually, will be).

CLOAK AND DAGGER - never liked the characters but I want to. they have cool code names. anyways, a lot of this will be informed by Netflix Iron Fist. i liked the angle they gave to Colleen Wing. so I'd have Ty and Tandy be students at a martial arts dojo (pick one of Marvel's martial artists). they'd still be runaways; the dojo would be home to a number of "lost" individuals. but there'd be a similar element to whatever organization set up the dojo. Ty and Tandy would be some of the only ones to survive the ceremony that gave them powers. I might make a connection between the two and Martin Li/Mr.Negative; to set up the later stuff. I'd get rid of Ty's stutter. he'd still have been bullied. Tandy would still enjoy dancing. they'd still see protecting runaways as one of their main goals. they'd also tackle the drug trade in the area. the sect that gave them their powers would also be in the narcotics trafficking business.
    Hmm, those sound like pretty interesting revamps, and Ty and Tandy getting darkness and light-based powers works better coming from mysticism, even mystic martial arts, than it does being the result of drugs (616) or scientific experimentation (Ultimate).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member

The thing has a really down to earth personality. I could see him in a gritty street level book.

Have him live in a tenement building down Yancy street. He could open a gym for underprivileged kids, and protect the neighbourhood from the local thugs and organised crime.....

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks, and yes, there would be "strings attached," in the sense that Dwayne wants Vance on his side, not just for his powers, but also for his innate goodness of character, basically the Superman to his Batman, someone whose light can keep him from tipping too far into the darkness even if he has to delve into it to achieve his (noble) goals.
    I like that description. Night Thrasher definitely had the trust issues.

Hmm, those sound like pretty interesting revamps, and Ty and Tandy getting darkness and light-based powers works better coming from mysticism, even mystic martial arts, than it does being the result of drugs (616) or scientific experimentation (Ultimate).
    I just really hate the drug addict slant. I get why they did it (to give them a reason to, primarily, attack the drug trade). a junkie superhero just isn't an easy sell for me; even if it's just the origin.

SQUADRON SUPREME

i'd probably just have the Avengers track down this team after their actions around the world; only to discover that they are actually what amounts to the Squadron Supreme's answer to the Teen Titans. they were different heroes in their home reality. but their Squadron were killed off during that Incursion mess. so they took up their identities to honor them. and, eventually, they'd find out that the original Zarda (now powerless) has been training the team and trying to steer them towards proactive heroism (despite having a misguided grudge against the heroes of this reality). i wanted them to be slightly younger/inexperienced powerhouses to explain some of their abrasiveness. they'd all be from the same reality and owe Zarda their lives. but they'd all have varying impressions of their new reality. whenever Reed and the Future Foundation get around to rebuilding some of the damaged realities, the new team would leave to fill the superhero void. but they'd be creating a lot of drama before that exit. just to give readers something to discuss, i'd make all of their true identities similar enough to existing (but unused) marvel characers; to encourage guessing who their 616-analogues might be. ex. "oh wow. so this new Nighthawk was the "robin" of the other Nighthawk. and he has an affinity for heavy metal and skateboards." or "so the new Spectrum has a rainbow-themed energy signature and had superpowered siblings." i'd have them at least attempt to make lives for themselves; outside of costume. they might also try to recruit/fill their ranks with existing characters; like Tom Foster (although Anna Marconi might be a better fill-in for Tom Thumb; as a scientist with dwarfism).
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-26-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Luke Cage with Adamantium bones and unbreakable skin. Add another 50 tons to his strength level. Luke Cage. Power Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Luke Cage with Adamantium bones and unbreakable skin. Add another 50 tons to his strength level. Luke Cage. Power Man.
    i'd have no problem with him being stronger (you'd think that he'd at least be Thing class). but i also don't think that adamantium is required. you could just say that the experiment made everything denser. unless you're talking about making him a Weapon X graduate or something. i doubt that you could get that quality of enhancement in a prison. they'd have to procure the adamantium and find some way to insert it into a human; w/o killing or gradually poisoning them. the most Bullseye got was reinforced ligaments. there's a Canadian character with adamantium skin (only his outer layer). then there's a guy like Warhawk who has omnium skin; he's recently fought Cage. but even he's not as durable as classic Power Man.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-26-2017 at 06:40 PM.

Wonder Man

Wondy's a great character, but I never really liked the codename; I think I'd rename him "Rogue". It's a much cooler name and I think he's really earned the rights to it. Earning the rights to another hero's identity is a very "now" thing to do. He should also gain Rogue's powers as well as his own, as he has earned them as well.

I think the White tiger mantle/Sons of the tiger should be connected to Tiger's Beautiful Daughter and the city she protects.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think the White tiger mantle/Sons of the tiger should be connected to Tiger's Beautiful Daughter and the city she protects.
    that would work. good thinking.

I like that description. Night Thrasher definitely had the trust issues.

I just really hate the drug addict slant. I get why they did it (to give them a reason to, primarily, attack the drug trade). a junkie superhero just isn't an easy sell for me; even if it's just the origin.
    Technically, they weren't drug addicts, they were forcibly experimented on with what was supposed to be a new designer drug that instead somehow triggered mutagenic alterations in them that gave them control over darkness and light. Still, I can see your point, and your Squadron Supreme sounds pretty cool; having them wanting to honor/avenge their mentors and that being the source of their antagonism toward the Avengers would be interesting. It also gives them more of a sympathetic hook and somewhat greater depth to their characterizations than just trying to be Marvel's version of The Authority.

Technically, they weren't drug addicts, they were forcibly experimented on with what was supposed to be a new designer drug that instead somehow triggered mutagenic alterations in them that gave them control over darkness and light. Still, I can see your point, and your Squadron Supreme sounds pretty cool; having them wanting to honor/avenge their mentors and that being the source of their antagonism toward the Avengers would be interesting. It also gives them more of a sympathetic hook and somewhat greater depth to their characterizations than just trying to be Marvel's version of The Authority.
    yeah, I don't need them to be the Authority. and I was trying to have them mostly operate outside of the U.S; so as not to step on the toes of other proactive teams. they aren't brutal killers. but they are destructive.

yeah, I don't need them to be the Authority. and I was trying to have them mostly operate outside of the U.S; so as not to step on the toes of other proactive teams. they aren't brutal killers. but they are destructive.
    I can see that working better; they don't mean to be destructive, but because they're comparatively inexperienced, they haven't yet gotten the hang of minimizing collateral damage.

I can see that working better; they don't mean to be destructive, but because they're comparatively inexperienced, they haven't yet gotten the hang of minimizing collateral damage.
    maybe someone like Kyle Richmond (Defenders version) could lend a hand in 'schooling' them. Zarda can't do it alone.

maybe someone like Kyle Richmond (Defenders version) could lend a hand in 'schooling' them. Zarda can't do it alone.
    That would work, and they could even go up against a new-and-improved version of the Squadron Sinister, although that would probably have to be reserved for the "Revamp a Villain" thread.