Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think the difference between those days and now back then they stayed above politics and used broad strokes to tell morality tales and messages over straight up political ones.
    Yeah again I will have to disagree. The civil rights movement plot points in ASM alone was highly political.

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    Yeah again I will have to disagree. The civil rights movement plot points in ASM alone was highly political.
    Civil Rights is a moral issue but take something like Vietnam Lee said they avoided it for the most part when it was happening outside of things like Flash enlisting.

BANNED

Civil Rights is a moral issue but take something like Vietnam Lee said they avoided it for the most part when it was happening outside of things like Flash enlisting.
    I think its way to simplistic to call the civil rights movement a moral issue and try to disconnect it from politics.
    And the Punisher, communist fighting Cap in the 50s, youth movement in the 60s and 70s, womens rights and more. All topics handleded by Marvel and most of them by Lee. Not to mention other storylines like the original secret empire storyline. If anyone says that one was not political you are crasy. Not to mention stuff like Howard the Duck which was even more political.
    And those comics were written for a audience that on averege was younger then today.
    Last edited by Bor; 09-01-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Is there anything on panel with an Inhuman saying that they don't care that mutants are dying? Or saying that Inhuman life is more valuable than mutants? I don't know. Maybe but I doubt it.
    Every single time the Inhumans prevented the X-Men from destroying a Terrigen cloud, they showed that they cared more about Terrigenesis for more Nu-humans than about mutants dying... and yes, they were shown fighting over this exact issue multiple times.

I'd have to go through every X-title and every Inhuman title during that time to double check and that just isn't something I'm going to spend the time on.

Point being, there were mistakes made. Grievous mistakes. But the Inhuman people as a whole certainly didn't plot the death of mutants.

None of this mutants vs Inhuman discussion, by the way, is pertinent to the thread topic. It belongs on the X-boards. Plenty of threads to discuss it on there.

As for Marvel heroes and their flaws, if you want to read about perfect people with powers, I'm sure there's fiction out there to suit you. Personally, I prefer to read about characters who are flawed, complicated, and occasionally messed up.
    By fighting to keep the Terrigen clouds, the Inhumans were plotting just that, the death of mutants. And since the whole situation was definitely one of politics, albeit politics between fictional groups, it seems to fit under the thread title just fine.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

The idea that Marvel is full of "sjw politics" is over-exaggerated. People need to calm down. Yes, Marvel writers sometimes let their political views slip in like in Spider-Gwen. (To be fair that was an annual issue and we know annuals tend to be inconsequential these days.) And yes, some books are political like Mockingbird but its nowhere near on the scale people like to pretend it is. Its really just fanboys making whatever excuse they can to hate current events in Marvel comics. Once one of them thinks of a crazy idea, they all follow suit. The latest one seems to be Marvel is "killing" the entire industry. Its all fanboy nonsense. If you don't like these few political books, go buy Spider-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy. Sheesh.

Invincible Member

Except that they didn't avoid it at first. Iron Man's origin is tried to 'Nam. Lee had Avengers go fight a commie dictator using the same argument people used to justify US involvement back then.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    By fighting to keep the Terrigen clouds, the Inhumans were plotting just that, the death of mutants. And since the whole situation was definitely one of politics, albeit politics between fictional groups, it seems to fit under the thread title just fine.
    Feel free to keep discussing it, then, with whoever's interested.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Sorry, not inclined to stop making perfectly valid comparisons. The Trump as MODOK thing was at least a parody, as compared to past portrayals of actual real-world figures, or the implication that they were the actual villains of the piece. And no, this wasn't always just foreign dictators... don't forget the original Secret Empire storyline, where it was all but stated that Number One was really Nixon. Compared to that, having a fictional character like Steve Rogers go evil in a way that some but not others might be inclined to connect to current real world political figures, is actually a lot less blatant.
    What about Red skull speaking like Trump?

And that's not what they did.

You can claim that it is but that's not what's depicted in the books.

There was no intent to kill. It was a tragic, unforeseen side effect. Not a premeditated act.
    The Inhuman Royals knew that the mist was toxic right after it started killing mutants, because Storm told them; yet they did nothing about it but putting Beast to work alone in a solution as if it was a little side project.

Is there anything on panel with an Inhuman saying that they don't care that mutants are dying? Or saying that Inhuman life is more valuable than mutants? I don't know. Maybe but I doubt it.

I'd have to go through every X-title and every Inhuman title during that time to double check and that just isn't something I'm going to spend the time on.

Point being, there were mistakes made. Grievous mistakes. But the Inhuman people as a whole certainly didn't plot the death of mutants.

None of this mutants vs Inhuman discussion, by the way, is pertinent to the thread topic. It belongs on the X-boards. Plenty of threads to discuss it on there.

As for Marvel heroes and their flaws, if you want to read about perfect people with powers, I'm sure there's fiction out there to suit you. Personally, I prefer to read about characters who are flawed, complicated, and occasionally messed up.
    The thing is that when my favorite characters (i.e. mutants) screw up, they are canonically treated as evil psychopaths that need to be killed because you cant let people like that to continue living; but when other characters (i.e. not mutants) screw up, normally after the event is over, its always it wasnt their fault, they are innocent, they were brainwashed or something.

The exception being Hank Pym, but that was for slapping Wasp once decades ago.

Honestly I'm not against current Marvel and their politic ideals at all, and I kinda hate the whole "Anti-SJW" people, but even I think they overdid the legacy characters. Like, Captain Falcon? Ok, that was done with Bucky before. Ms Marvel and Miles? Great, Carol and Peter are still here and being promoted at lot. Laura was already a Wolverine clone and female counterpart anyway... But then there was also Thor with Jane(that I personally like, but that's not the point), Iron Man with Riri(the worst offender imo), Hulk with Amadeus, Wasp who isn't even a minority, besides Nova and Ghost Rider, and then yeah, it felt like they were just replacing all of their characters just because. I felt like if they hadn't overdone it so much, some characters and the whole idea would have been more accepted and felt a lot more natural.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Mep90 View Post
    You do realize that there's a Twitter account that replaces Red Skull dialogue with Trump tweets?

Fans can be some of the angriest people you find online.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    You do realize that there's a Twitter account that replaces Red Skull dialogue with Trump tweets?
    Besides, the US government on the X-men book at least, has acted like that since the days of the Senator Kelly. It's more like life imitating art.

I think it comes down to two things:

1) Unlike the last several decades, when it came to getting a dose of someone elses politics, it was limited to watercooler talk, an awkward evening with the extended family, or the odd end topical tv show/news program. Now? We are inundated with it. Social media and the internet is ruled by politics, specifically identity politics. Its almost a social control experiment (if I recall, facebook actually played everyones feeds to have it reflect certain emotions and study its affects on how we post) Echo chambers, online trolls, and getting bombarded with everyones favorite political news article takes its toll. It now makes it very difficult to do political stories in comics and have it not feel like overkill.

and

2)Its in the delivery. The audience is smarter. If Im not on the exact same page as you socially, I don't need you to write a condescending story in response. Lead me to the answer, don't force it. I actually agree with much of marvels writers and artists, but some of them come off as extremely cocky and arrogant in their delivery. That whole "ask me about my feminist agenda" cover came off as soooo desperate (to me anyways) even though Im all for feminism, the actual cover felt cheap and obvious. That's just one example, I think the twitter feeds of many creators speaks for itself as well. Although, to be fair, twitter is filled to the brim with ahole trolls

Quote Originally Posted by Mep90 View Post
    Do you mean in the actual published comics, or that Internet meme? Not sure I've spotted the former, but perhaps I've just forgotten it since his latest 'death'.