Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Would "Secret Empire" worked better as a Status Quo a la "Dark Reign"?

Hey everybody,

i have to admit, that i am way behind on Secret Empire. For whatever reason i stopped around issue 4, but am currently catching up and while there are flaws, i am enjoying it. But i have to wonder, if it would have better worked as a status quo a la Dark Reign, perhaps bookended with two smaller events.

You could turned the whole "Opening Salvo" issues and the number zero issue into one event - perhaps titled "The Secret Empire rises" - over a month with perhaps four to five issues. The whole Hydra reign could have played out in the normal titles over the summer and fall. You could have the search for the cube fragments in the Avengers titles, the resistance stuff in Champions and Steves book could show the Hydra side. And in the fall everything would have led to "The Secret Empire falls" a climax event a la "Siege" with the heroes overcoming HydraCap.

To me is seems to be more focused and would have shown a greater significance and you could show more from every side. And the two small events could have been drawn completley by one artist.

Agreed. This status quo would have a bigger impact than right now. Really good idea !

BANNED

It's an interesting suggestion but ultimately, I don't think so. Dark Reign was a different sort of beast. The MU wasn't so shaken up that it couldn't operate more or less normally with the exception being that the heroes being more on the run than they otherwise would be. It basically turned everyone into Spider-Man early in his career when the press and the police were against him.

But Hydra America is a much more dramatic, sweeping change that I don't think would work long term in the same way.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 09-01-2017 at 06:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Maybe

But then I turned off marvel because of dark reign coz for me it was too bleak

At least with s e it was a little more contained

BANNED

That's is what according to the rumour mill it was billed to be but the Nazi hate nixed those plans. whether its true or not is anybody's guess. Maybe the possessed avengers and odinson would have had greater roles and some other events/characters role could have been fleshed out but ultimately I think he shorter the sweeter. I mean who would stick it out for such a long time?

Hydra Cap is a radical change for many readers to be maintained for long time.

Well I certainly would have enjoyed a much longer duration of Secret Empire. That would have allowed the Heroes to fight back more in depth.

But ultimately people would not have been very eager to deal with Captain Hydra for that long AND Dark Reign was already a thing so no need to relive it just yet.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

I loved Dark Reign, but Husbandro Cap doesn't hold a candle on Storming Norman, and therefore, it wouldn't really work.

If I had gotten a Taskmaster and Black Ant book out of it, I would call it an improvement.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Nope. Only way it would have "worked better" is if they fired everyone that came up with the concept before it was printed.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

oh great lets make events longer and more stretched out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    If I had gotten a Taskmaster and Black Ant book out of it, I would call it an improvement.
    That could be a fun book. Will never happen but I can dream.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    That could be a fun book. Will never happen but I can dream.
    it could have been marvels chance to do a Hawkeye and atom like book only with a villainous pair which could be a interesting twist given DC is trying to come up with their own FF.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    it could have been marvels chance to do a Hawkeye and atom like book only with a villainous pair which could be a interesting twist given DC is trying to come up with their own FF.
    do you mean the relaunch of Challengers of the Unknown?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    do you mean the relaunch of Challengers of the Unknown?
    The Terrifics. It's a new book spinning out of METAL. Here: http://www.cbr.com/phantom-girl-plas...the-terrifics/