Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default What happened to the excitement around Image?

Another post made me want to start this discussion.

Enthusiasm for the Image slate, in a relative sense, is waning. There are a lot of good books, and sales aren't poor I don't think, but it used to be much more popping here as well as elsewhere - and the announcement of a new series doesn't seem to make anyone take note these days.

This isn't to bash Image, they do a lot of great stuff and give a ton of creators a chance to shine. I'm more interested in constructive criticism.

What used to work that isn't anymore?

Is there something the company's doing wrong?

And what can Image do to get back on the tip of people's tongues?

I think, more than making the company succeed, comic fans need to make sure the business model they've been following succeeds. Because if we see Marvel and DC gobble more market share back, we're going to lose what foothold independent comics have earned in the bigger market. Thoughts?

BANNED

I remember all that hype. I used to read East of West, Sex Criminals, Saga, Rat Queens, Lazarus, Black Magick, Descender, Southern Bastards, Bitch Planet, Deadly Class, Chew, Copperhead, Big Man Plans, They're Not Like Us, Velvet, Wicked + Divine etc.

I stopped. Not sure why. I think I just got fed up with following so many comics at once, especially when half of them would seemingly disappear for months at a time with no word from the creators or publisher.

Delays are a bit of a problem for a lot of Image Comics. Hiatus in between story arcs aren't so bad but there's delays in the middle of a story arc, too.

I expect if I had only been following Image books and hadn't been getting either Superman or Action weekly, I'd probably fall off the comic habit and would just trade wait everything and buy online. You've got to give props to DC and Marvel for getting majority of their books out on time every single week.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Delays are a bit of a problem for a lot of Image Comics. Hiatus in between story arcs aren't so bad but there's delays in the middle of a story arc, too.

I expect if I had only been following Image books and hadn't been getting either Superman or Action weekly, I'd probably fall off the comic habit and would just trade wait everything and buy online. You've got to give props to DC and Marvel for getting majority of their books out on time every single week.
    That's a lot easier when you use assembly line methods and rotating art teams to crank out issues than when you have a consistent creative team each and every issue. If Marvel & DC didn't use fill in artists or multiple art teams to get the books out, they wouldn't be meeting monthly deadlines, and I would prefer consistency and quality rather than just getting something out to meet a deadline. I'd rather wait than buy a comic that is by a different creator than the one that interested me in the book initially, but then I grew up reading bi-monthyl 8 times a year and quarterly books in the 70s so waiting doesn't bother me and monthly was never a pre-requisite for getting the comics I liked.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    That's a lot easier when you use assembly line methods and rotating art teams to crank out issues than when you have a consistent creative team each and every issue. If Marvel & DC didn't use fill in artists or multiple art teams to get the books out, they wouldn't be meeting monthly deadlines, and I would prefer consistency and quality rather than just getting something out to meet a deadline. I'd rather wait than buy a comic that is by a different creator than the one that interested me in the book initially, but then I grew up reading bi-monthyl 8 times a year and quarterly books in the 70s so waiting doesn't bother me and monthly was never a pre-requisite for getting the comics I liked.

-M
    If more comics were standalone instead of being Part 1 of 6, I'd probably feel the same. As it is, I trade-wait most Image except for absolute faves.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

Astonishing Member

I dont see it that way. Image is still a very fine publisher, the only problem it has it that most of the books read better in paperbacks and in one sitting.

I used to read Invincible in trades until i reached the last one avaiable, than changed to singles. The impact is almost lost. I had a blast to read a whole volume in one sitting, but just one single feels too short and empty.

Same with TWD, not as bad as Invincible but it was still better in TPB.

I sold my East of West, because i got lost in the monthly or bi-monthly schedule and wait for an ultimate edition.

Some others work pretty well in singles: Savage Dragon, Lazarus and Seven to Eternity for example are books that dont feel light on contend when you read them monthly.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    Another post made me want to start this discussion.

Enthusiasm for the Image slate, in a relative sense, is waning. There are a lot of good books, and sales aren't poor I don't think, but it used to be much more popping here as well as elsewhere - and the announcement of a new series doesn't seem to make anyone take note these days.

This isn't to bash Image, they do a lot of great stuff and give a ton of creators a chance to shine. I'm more interested in constructive criticism.

What used to work that isn't anymore?

Is there something the company's doing wrong?

And what can Image do to get back on the tip of people's tongues?

I think, more than making the company succeed, comic fans need to make sure the business model they've been following succeeds. Because if we see Marvel and DC gobble more market share back, we're going to lose what foothold independent comics have earned in the bigger market. Thoughts?
    The announcement of a new series doesn't make anyone take note anymore? It's because people know there's a more than 95% chance the book will be delayed or abruptly cancelled without warning; there's a 4% chance the book will be cancelled or delayed with warning; and 1% chance it'll make it past 2 years (and I'm being generous with the 1%).

What can Image do to get back on the tip of peoples' tongues? Put out comics that actually finish. Does a book need to be an ongoing series? What's wrong with 1 shots? Short story comics? Or miniseries? A completed story, regardless of length, will always be more appreciated than an incomplete story.

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    The announcement of a new series doesn't make anyone take note anymore? It's because people know there's a more than 95% chance the book will be delayed or abruptly cancelled without warning; there's a 4% chance the book will be cancelled or delayed with warning; and 1% chance it'll make it past 2 years (and I'm being generous with the 1%).

What can Image do to get back on the tip of peoples' tongues? Put out comics that actually finish. Does a book need to be an ongoing series? What's wrong with 1 shots? Short story comics? Or miniseries? A completed story, regardless of length, will always be more appreciated than an incomplete story.
    Source on all these hyperbolic claims?

You know he doesn't have any, don't even bother.

Astonishing Member

Many or maybe even most of my favorite titles are from Image, but it's hard to stay excited about a story line that is in "to be continued" limbo for so long that you forget what that story was or why you cared about it.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Source on all these hyperbolic claims?
    Where in the forum rules do I have to cite sources for my claims?

Is it really hard for you to believe the reason why people are less enthusiastic about Image than ever before is because they are jaded over the fact that the majority of series will be canceled or delayed?

Is it really hard for you to believe the reason why people are less enthusiastic about Image than ever before is because they are jaded over the fact that the majority of series will be canceled or delayed?
    Youre just spouting bullshit and presenting it as fact.

"The majority of series will be cancelled or delayed" , "1% chance itll make it past two years" - based on what? Youre just pulling random statistics out your ass with nothing to prove your point.

You dont have to present evidence, but then nobody has any fucking reason to believe your drivel. Because you cant prove it.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Youre just spouting bullshit and presenting it as fact.

"The majority of series will be cancelled or delayed" , "1% chance itll make it past two years" - based on what? Youre just pulling random statistics out your ass with nothing to prove your point.

You dont have to present evidence, but then nobody has any fucking reason to believe your drivel. Because you cant prove it.
    In the last 4 years, what percentage of Image Comics would you say has exceeded 2 years without any delays?

You can go ahead and take your time. It's a tough question. I'm sure a high percentage of Image titles exceed 2 years without any delays, right?

Spectacular Member

Well if you state factually incorrect things people will call you out on those, you can't be surprised.

Some books that show how what you said was completely hyperbolic and false:

Fatale, Saga, East of West, Lazarus, Kill or be killed, I Hate Fairyland, Deadly Class, Black Science, Monstress, Low, Seven to Eternity, Outcast, Descender, Wicked + Divine, Snotgirl, Black Magic, Birthright, Divided States of Histerya, Redneck, Wayward, Paper Girls, God Country, Manifest Destiny, Elephant Men, Invincible.

Some books that are famous for their delays are Bitch Planet, Sex Criminals and Injection. But they are all still going after two years.

Now it would be nice for you to show at least as much books that fit your description of «more than 95% chance the book will be delayed or abruptly cancelled without warning; there's a 4% chance the book will be cancelled or delayed with warning; and 1% chance it'll make it past 2 years» or to simply admit you were being completely and needlessly hyperbolic and false.
    Last edited by SignorMiracolo; 10-13-2017 at 08:03 AM.

JFP is a troll with an axe to grind against Image Comics. It's best to ignore him. This will go on for pages and pages and you will get no answers from him, just more hyperbole. We've done this before with him and it goes absolutely nowhere. Just ignore him.

Case in point: He's saying a planned skip month is a delay. It's not. The book isn't late. But he will not bend on this.

Seriously, just ignore him. It's not worth anyone's time.