Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I've always thought Image was a vanity hobby project for divas.
    I mean sure. Why write creator owned properity that you can tell whatever story you want in any innovative way you can, when you can do another mega crossover event for the big two.
    Sounds like you pegged it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think part of it is Saga is no longer new or as fresh as it once was. I feel like it was a big driving force of exposing people to the rest of Image's line. (Likewise I feel like WicDiv lost its charm and is only starting to rev up again, Rat Queens never recovered from the first volume's scandals, and....does Bitch Planet even come out anymore? lol).

I think Image's scheduling pattern of producing 4-6 issues before a brief hiatus is a brilliant one that should be an industry standard, however, I do think it is a source of lost momentum.

I still think Image is my favorite publisher, but I feel like I have to be waaay more proactive in keeping up with releases. My childhood inclination to love Marvel ends up taking over, especially when my main pulls are on hiatus and sometimes I am slow to pick back up where I left off.

Deadly Class, Extremity, Descender, Black Magick, and Birthright have NEVER let off the gas and are consistently great titles.

Crosswind is also great although I am not a fan of the coloring style that looks like the book is made up of photos ran through a Photoshop filter. The Grave Diggers Union, Realm, Wytches (on too long of a hiatus for how brief the first volume was IMO), No. 1 With a Bullet, Redlands, and Sacred Creatures have all been really promising and I am super excited to see where they go.

I've noticed that image comics are a lot harder to find in my local shops than Marvel, DC or IDW. I've only seen them in one of the two stores in my town, and they're kept on a separate rack. The only reason I noticed them was because the title "Shirtless Bear-Fighter" caught my eye. Fun book too. https://wp.me/p81uZL-n4

The dopaimine wore off

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    I've noticed that image comics are a lot harder to find in my local shops than Marvel, DC or IDW. I've only seen them in one of the two stores in my town, and they're kept on a separate rack. The only reason I noticed them was because the title "Shirtless Bear-Fighter" caught my eye. Fun book too. https://wp.me/p81uZL-n4
    Isn't getting the comic in the stores the job of the creator of the comic, not Image themselves? If so, that might be why they're harder and harder to find.

I've been to many stores across America and the Big 2 are just given top priority. They get the best product placement and the most shelf space. And this isn't just in comic stores. This is also in Barnes and Noble and used bookstores like Half-Priced Books. Go to some stores and a bookcase might be devoted to Marvel, another to DC, and all the rest, Image, Dark Horse, Fantagraphics, Drawn and Quarterly, Koyama Press, etc. are all scrunched together. But that's if they're lucky. Some comic stores stock indie comics in places none of their customers ever look. They might scrunch a bunch of indies over in the corner near the employee only door, or down at the bottom near the register on a shelf at your ankles. They put indies in such easy to miss places that I wonder why they bother to stock them at all.

Like you, there's times when I only noticed an indie based on the title, cover, or because I happened to look at a certain spot and realize, "Hey, they have a stack of comics here. Huh. Who woulda thought they'd place comics on a dusty shelf in a barely let corner of the store?"

Comic book stores have the worst product arrangement I've ever seen. Some stores are so cramped and crammed with stuff that even an Oompah Loompah would have to crab walk around the aisles to be able to get around the store.

There are two comic shops in my town and from what I've seen only one of them carries Image titles, and they're kept separately from all the other titles. While it's easy to find the Marvel, DC and IDW stuff, as well as some of the other titles, the Image stuff is harder to find, which is too bad because they do have some really cool stuff. Shirtless Bear-Fighter for example. Talk about a fun book. The WTF factor of the title made me pick up an issue. https://wp.me/p81uZL-n4

Still winning!

There are two comic shops in my town and from what I've seen only one of them carries Image titles, and they're kept separately from all the other titles. While it's easy to find the Marvel, DC and IDW stuff, as well as some of the other titles, the Image stuff is harder to find, which is too bad because they do have some really cool stuff. Shirtless Bear-Fighter for example. Talk about a fun book. The WTF factor of the title made me pick up an issue. https://wp.me/p81uZL-n4
    The whole separating comics based on publisher thing is absolutely ridiculous. In Barnes and Noble or Half-Priced Books, they don't separate the other books based on publisher. The mystery section isn't separated by publisher, nor is the history section, or art section, etc. Only the comics section is separated by publisher or type (manga is usually given a whole different set of book cases). I don't see why they do it. Unless they are following the comic shop example. I've been in more than a hundred comic shops across the country and only a small minority didn't separate comics based on publisher. I don't get it. Did comic store owners across the country get together and say, "Let's given the Big 2 the best product placement and stuff all the indies together in random, barely lit corners of the store"? Why bother to stock the comic at all if they're just gonna put them in places most customers don't look at?

Amazing Member

Of the 2 shops I tend to go to in my town, one sets up all the new releases and previous weeks releases in alphabetical order, and the other has a rack for DC, Marvel, and Image and then a mixed rack of others. Both shops for their back catalogue stuff just run boxes and boxes mixed and in alphabetical order. Its not hard to find Image comics in any of the shops close by to me, and Image is very well represented pretty much in any shop I have stopped into. Both shops are jammed full of crap like statues, action figures, toys and anything else they decided to buy but all of their new weekly release racks for all publishers are pretty much right up front or central.

Quote Originally Posted by Yosaltenberg View Post
    Of the 2 shops I tend to go to in my town, one sets up all the new releases and previous weeks releases in alphabetical order, and the other has a rack for DC, Marvel, and Image and then a mixed rack of others. Both shops for their back catalogue stuff just run boxes and boxes mixed and in alphabetical order. Its not hard to find Image comics in any of the shops close by to me, and Image is very well represented pretty much in any shop I have stopped into. Both shops are jammed full of crap like statues, action figures, toys and anything else they decided to buy but all of their new weekly release racks for all publishers are pretty much right up front or central.
    My regular shop handles this in much the same way. Everything is displayed on the shelves in alphabetical order; both new releases and that from the previous weeks. All of the comics from the various publishers are sitting side by side; so it's not hard to find Image books at all.

In addition to this; there is a dedicated shelf for local talent right next to the front door when you walk in. There are also shelves dedicated to "staff picks" placed at the ends of the aisles which are in plain view. With this arrangement, it feels like all of the publishers get treated in an equal way. It's really easy to discover stuff that is published by those other than DC or Marvel.

My shop also has 4 other locations around the city. I can't say for certain that those stores have the same model; but I hope that they do.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

This is how my store does it, too.

They also have book shelves split up by genre for trades.

Unfortunately, like so many others lately, they are going out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Javasaurus View Post
    In addition to this; there is a dedicated shelf for local talent right next to the front door when you walk in. There are also shelves dedicated to "staff picks" placed at the ends of the aisles which are in plain view. With this arrangement, it feels like all of the publishers get treated in an equal way. It's really easy to discover stuff that is published by those other than DC or Marvel.
    Sounds like a great store, love that they have a local talent section! My store is about half manga/anime and has lots of funko dolls and stuff around, which I imagine are the real moneymakers - there's always more people browsing the manga sections than the western comics. But they're great about letting you pre-order anything you want. Just gotta keep an eye on solicitations every couple of months, and they have decent back issue boxes for many indie comics so I'm not complaining.

Ultimate Member

This is probably due to store only stocking enough comics for a sell out.

Take Savage Dragon most stores in Dallas stock 2-3 copies and if you don't show up Wednesday to buy them-they sell out that day.

Saga & Wicked + Divine trades STAY on reorder with many stores. Wicked+Divine is a favorite of many libraries here.

I went to a Half Price books and was shocked to see the first 12 issues or W+D for half the price.

For Image around here since say 2010-getting complete runs of any Image book is hard.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't really care about delays, myself. I'd much rather have a good quality book, that comes out late, than a book of lesser quality- on time. I can go without a comic book for a while, especially since sometimes creators need space to think/rethink their work. I value quality over quantity.
    Ditto on this. I like a good yarn and appreciate a good solid well thought out story and good character development for six months of the year. As opposed to a rubbish mediocre story with a boring un-inspiring character every month.

I currently have two Image books on my pull list. Lazarus and Monstress. Both of which I initially discovered through browsing the trade section of my local bookstore (which keeps all trades in alphabetical order by character/title name). I also buy Thief of Thieves in trade. But that's about it. I have about 5 books on my pull list. Two are the aforementioned Monstress and Lazarus. The rest are Marvel titles whatever book Medusa from the Inhumans shows up in and two X related books. I no longer buy any DC books because despite loving the Flash and Batman, the writing just isn't worth the expense anymore.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I've just been really lagging on the comic scene in general. I'm probably 6-18 months behind on all of my titles. But when I read Image or even see their solicitations, I still think a lot of things look awesome. Tho it seems the major creators have been putting out less new titles recently?

Regardless, I still have 4 monthlies and about 6-8 TPBs on my pull list from Image. With about 5-7 recent #1's I still have to read to determine if I want to pull them.

The most recent new titles I began reading were Black Cloud and Rock Candy Mountain, just to show how behind I am. I've still collected new titles since, just have yet to read.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

Today my shop was selling image issues for $2/issue. So I picked up Port of Earth. Looks like an interesting premise.