View Poll Results: Should storm be a real goddess?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... Finally!!! It's about time.

27 18.37%
  • No, she is already powerful enough with her current mutant abilities.

91 61.90%
  • I'm not sure or indifferent.

29 19.73%
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Likewater:

Don't You think that more diverse stories would be better?
    some comics should have power ceiling and some not.
    That way we will have stories for some people and other for other people.
    You can have diverse stories without powering up, flying into lunar orbit in two panels and Kamehameha waving a super star destroyer in half.

Because in 1 book you would have just:

1) destroyed the alienness and danger of space
    2) Made distance meaningless in any capacity on earth.
    3) gave your character more power/energy than the United States, the Russian Federation, and the People Republic of China combined, and likely by multiple exponents.

I think back to a comic I read may be 10 years ago, some ax wielding herald of Galactus chops a planet in half cause his girlfriend of the arc dies. Every time he shows up on Earth in the past or Present now without the G-man holding his leash I think "Why doesn't he just chop the planet in half? he is a badguy."

Quote Originally Posted by Butterflykyss View Post
    fair enough. but why read comics about super heroes only for them to be more human? comics are supposed to be an escape from realism to a degree. in the case of Storm it was hinted at early on she was a goddess.
    The problem is not them being super human, its who they are as a character. These books are soap operas, the powers window dressing. The thrill of their victories, the shared sadness of their failures, the values of their insights, the headdy thrill of their loves. What does removing limitations do to their characters?

Its great for message board slap-fights is horrible for long term viability as characters. Who few good Hulk or Superman Movies are out their compared to Bat-Man movies? A lack of understanding of characters over 50 years old?

The Hulk is a man who turns into a very small but still powerful Kaiju he is a big green rage werewolf! and Superman is a man with the power of a god! And Hollywood has trouble making a decent movie out of them?

Storm is a powerful African superhero, What does that mean? what is it going to mean in 10 to 20 years? She is American through her fathers linage, but the spent her early childhood in Egypt and and her formative years in Kenya two very different countries, in very different places for when Chris Claremont came up with her. You can do a lot with her without making her Thor essentially.

I still roll my eyes every time a writer/artist depicts him or Jane getting punched across the solar system. Just open a high school level astronomy book...National Geo Graphic, in the children are of a bookstore Marvel Editors...Marvel Writers.
    Last edited by Likewater; 09-11-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    The problem is not them being super human, its who they are as a character. These books are soap operas, the powers window dressing. The thrill of their victories, the shared sadness of their failures, the values of their insights, the headdy thrill of their loves. What does removing limitations do to their characters?

Its great for message board slap-fights is horrible for long term viability as characters. Who few good Hulk or Superman Movies are out their compared to Bat-Man movies? A lack of understanding of characters over 50 years old?

The Hulk is a man who turns into a very small but still powerful Kaiju he is a big green rage werewolf! and Superman is a man with the power of a god! And Hollywood has trouble making a decent movie out of them?

Storm is a powerful African superhero, What does that mean? what is it going to mean in 10 to 20 years? She is American through her fathers linage, but the spent her early childhood in Egypt and and her formative years in Kenya two very different countries, in very different places for when Chris Claremont came up with her. You can do a lot with her without making her Thor essentially.

I still roll my eyes every time a writer/artist depicts him or Jane getting punched across the solar system. Just open a high school level astronomy book...National Geo Graphic, in the children are of a bookstore Marvel Editors...Marvel Writers.
    Removing limits for me at least makes the characters more interesting and makes for a fun read. Someone even as powerful as storm with this recent "upgrade" won't be goku overpowered. and you can have all those things you mentioned with a powerful character without the story being diluted. they have made it work for characters like superman and wonder woman for 50+ years.

See my previous point. Superman is probably the best example of a character who has years and years of storytelling yet he is one of the greatest and most powerful super heroes to be created.

i actually liked all of the superman movies I have seen. I disagree there.

the stories and their impact 10 or 20 years from now depend not on her powerset but on a writer's ability to make worthwhile stories for the character. Storm, for the past 10 years of so, has not seen any riveting or development for her character of depth since Claremont had her back in the late 90s early 2000s. Since then there have been no Xmen stories that were central or even had her develop as a subplot to a main story. She has been a play thing for wolverine, and uninspiring leader/headmistress of the xmen and has done all of that while having the limits you prefer to see which in her case was mostly shooting lightning. Her stories and involvement with the Xmen (after the annulment of her marriage) have been beyond lackluster. Even her solo was a rehash of her greatest hits and revolved around the death of Wolverine. However, with Coates not only is he exploring something that Claremont himself hinted at years ago with her being a goddess, but he (as well as harvey) also explored her ties to the world, specifically the black community outside the xmen, the latter being the most important for me as a reader. I can't imagine the last time anything like this has happened with ororo in the xbooks and this all happened while introducing the idea of her being a goddess and it was done in a way that wasn't even remotely akin to thors representation, so I think even that comparison isn't factually sound at least in context to the story told in BP.

All in all, I see your point and no one wants a character who can do it everyhring all the time but with how Coates has written Ororo and this power I don't see that as being the case.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-11-2017 at 09:12 AM.

BANNED

At least it is a better reason to explain why wonder woman lost to her. she was a potential goddess whereas WW although blessed by gods wasn't then.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    At least it is a better reason to explain why wonder woman lost to her. she was a potential goddess whereas WW although blessed by gods wasn't then.
    for some they will always argue that it was pis but two things to consider:

her lightning has been strong enough to affect cosmic level beings such as silver surfer on two occasions and to your point about storm being a goddess Diana couldn't hold "divine fire" in her hands but for a few seconds.

I would therefore be inclined to agree with you her being a goddess would support such a victory.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 09-11-2017 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Removing limits for me at least makes the characters more interesting and makes for a fun read. Someone even as powerful as storm with this recent "upgrade" won't be goku overpowered. and you can have all those things you mentioned with a powerful character without the story being diluted. they have made it work for characters like superman and wonder woman for 50+ years.

See my previous point. Superman is probably the best example of a character who has years and years of storytelling yet he is one of the greatest and most powerful super heroes to be created.

i actually liked all of the superman movies I have seen. I disagree there.

the stories and their impact 10 or 20 years from now depend not on her powerset but on a writer's ability to make worthwhile stories for the character. Storm, for the past 10 years of so, has not seen any riveting or development for her character of depth since Claremont had her back in the late 90s early 2000s. Since then there have been no Xmen stories that were central or even had her develop as a subplot to a main story. She has been a play thing for wolverine, and uninspiring leader/headmistress of the xmen and has done all of that while having the limits you prefer to see which in her case was mostly shooting lightning. Her stories and involvement with the Xmen (after the annulment of her marriage) have been beyond lackluster. Even her solo was a rehash of her greatest hits and revolved around the death of Wolverine. However, with Coates not only is he exploring something that Claremont himself hinted at years ago with her being a goddess, but he (as well as harvey) also explored her ties to the world, specifically the black community outside the xmen, the latter being the most important for me as a reader. I can't imagine the last time anything like this has happened with ororo in the xbooks and this all happened while introducing the idea of her being a goddess and it was done in a way that wasn't even remotely akin to thors representation, so I think even that comparison isn't factually sound at least in context to the story told in BP.

All in all, I see your point and no one wants a character who can do it everyhring all the time but with how Coates has written Ororo and this power I don't see that as being the case.
    Understandable these bast 10 years have been uninspired (Putting it politely), as for Coates I enjoy his tackling of Wakanda, storm and revolutionaries. That said I would Nerf every character in the marvel universe.

No one can breathe in space, nor can anyone hold their breath in it. If your character doesn't breath they must experience at least 1 negative effect.
    Every writer must know the distance from the Earth to the Moon.
    And how much energy it takes to lift one Pound or Kilogram into orbit.
    Every writer will know the principles of DECOMPRESSION sickness.
    that electricity will always take the fastest rout to the ground.
    that if you have the density of human flesh you can not wade through Plasma (Wolverine)
    Healing factors are no longer able to circumvent the conservation of matter ( If a character loses blood even if he heals that material is still LOST!)
    Reasonable limits of power use until fatigue occurs
    Reasonable limits of physical activity (Running , Jumping , Punching) until fatigue occurs
    Force experienced when you fall and hit the ground form a given height (there are websites for that)
    Characters can no longer be made of Light or Sound (pure energy is not a thing)
    Bullets and Punches work on similar kinetic principles you can not be immune to one and harmed by another.

man I would be a tyrannical editor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tmacaoni View Post
    So sad. Why doesn't she get respect in her own universe? Koed by Omega red? How? Tentacle play? Even X-menTAS had Omega Red scared of the Queen!!
    You are asking the billion dollar question. They treat her like shit, deny it, troll her fans for calling them on it, and then they have nerve to piss on the character development she gets outside of their wheelhouse. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    You are asking the billion dollar question. They treat her like shit, deny it, troll her fans for calling them on it, and then they have nerve to piss on the character development she gets outside of their wheelhouse. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.
    you have a way with words but this was 100% spot on!!!!

I wonder if she will be immortal, you know, ageless.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    Ageless i can live with. That said, is any marvel god truly immortal?
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    Ageless i can live with. That said, is any marvel god truly immortal?
    they can die but their spirit is still alive and can be resurrected.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    In theory, she shouldn't age if she becomes a full fledged elemental being.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    In theory, she shouldn't age if she becomes a full fledged elemental being.
    yeah, Ik.

I wonder what will they do about this.

BANNED

The way I see it, Storm is powerful enough and has the appearance that will make normal people think of her as a goddess. And maybe she has sometimes believed it herself that she is one.

But the truth is that she isn't a goddess and despite her vast powers, an actual god will be in an entirely different ballpark in terms of power.

Actually that reminds me... why hasn't Storm run into Jane Foster as Thor yet? That should be a meeting worth seeing

BANNED

well the nay sayers seem to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The way I see it, Storm is powerful enough and has the appearance that will make normal people think of her as a goddess. And maybe she has sometimes believed it herself that she is one.

But the truth is that she isn't a goddess and despite her vast powers, an actual god will be in an entirely different ballpark in terms of power.

Actually that reminds me... why hasn't Storm run into Jane Foster as Thor yet? That should be a meeting worth seeing
    well based upon issue 17, she has displayed the power of an actual god.

i would love for ororo to meet her and call her out for helping odinson thor pillage the Egyptians.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    well the nay sayers seem to have it.
    yea which indicates nothing other than a vast majority of posters here don't want to accept that storm canonically is a true goddess.