Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Latest Marvel Comics you bought (new or back issues or collected editions)

Don't know if there's a thread like this already here, but after a few recent discussions in other threads regarding likes and dislikes about Marvel, I thought it might be interesting to try this out.
    As the title says, it can be either new issues or back issues, as well as collected editions. You can also add in whether the purchases were digital or tried-and-true old-school paper copies.

BANNED

I prefer paperbacks but I haven't bought any trades from Marvel in a few years. That's probably mainly due to the fact that I'm paying for the Ultimate service. I did buy KSD's Captain Marvel back in the day.

I haven't been regularly buying Marvel stuff for a while, but for August (and into September with Labor Day weekend here in the U.S. this weekend), I've bought
    I.) New single issues:
    * True Believers: Kirby 100th -- Captain America #1
    * True Believers: Kirby 100th -- Ant-Man and The Wasp #1

II.) back issues:
    * Captain America & Bucky #625-626 (2012)
    * Captain America / Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers #1-2 (2010)
    * The Torch #4 (2010)
    III.) trade paperback collected editions:
    * Invaders NOW! (2011)

and a bunch of Darkhawk, Sleepwalker, and Morbius the Living Vampire old back issues from the 90's.

This week its been...

Generations Hawkeye
    The Mighty Captain Marvel #8
    America #6
    Black Panther #17
    Secret Empire #10
    Spider-Gwen #23

Lee/ Kirby run on Fantastic Four in recent digital sale. I've read a few bits of run over the years, but really not that much.

Read first four issues. Enjoying them. Some aspects are eye openers...hadn't fully realised just how unpleasant Ben was to team mates in early adventures...mind you it can't help that other three always refer to him as "Thing". Reed's treatment of Sue is also a wee bit "old fashioned".

I'll be interested to see at what point in series decision is made to make Ben love-able..and how quickly Jack Kirby introduces the subtle changes in drawing that makes the orange monster so endearing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't know if there's a thread like this already here, but after a few recent discussions in other threads regarding likes and dislikes about Marvel, I thought it might be interesting to try this out.
    As the title says, it can be either new issues or back issues, as well as collected editions. You can also add in whether the purchases were digital or tried-and-true old-school paper copies.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were asking about new issues too. Whoops. Last Wednesday I bought:

Secret Wars #10
    Uncanny Avengers #26
    The Mighty Captain Marvel #8
    Generations: The Archers
    America #6

Of all these, Generations The Archers was the best. I enjoyed Kate and Clint's adventure on that island.

Astonishing Member

The last one was :

.Amazing Spider-Man (vol4)# 31. (Print)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    The last one was :

.Amazing Spider-Man (vol4)# 31. (Print)
    I only buy print myself.
    No interest in digital; that would be a pain in the @$$ for me because all I have is a desktop computer, so I'd have to go online at that one spot to read my stuff.
    (Besides, I'm older than old-school.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I only buy print myself.
    No interest in digital; that would be a pain in the @$$ for me because all I have is a desktop computer, so I'd have to go online at that one spot to read my stuff.
    (Besides, I'm older than old-school.)
    Same here.
    I only buy comics (and books) in print.
    Digital comics vary too much (it depends of what device you are using to read the comics and so on),in print it makes the reading to me much better.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Same here.
    I only buy comics (and books) in print.
    Digital comics vary too much (it depends of what device you are using to read the comics and so on),in print it makes the reading to me much better.
    But the reader controls the device the comics are read on. In my case, for example, I read large majority of my comics on a tablet, that's about "comic sized".

I don't feel there's all that much difference in reading experience, albeit there is something really pleasant about reading a physical comic.

But against that something "pleasant" (can't "put my finger" precisely what it is) phyical comics have, digital comics have some significant advantages:-

1/ Storage problems disappear.
    2/ Frame by frame facility makes some comics easier to follow.
    3/ Digital sales are a good way to access a wide range of comics at good prices.
    4/ Marvel unlimited is a marvellous facility for any new reader wishing to delve widely into their back catalogue.

Uncanny Avengers
    X-men Blue

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But the reader controls the device the comics are read on. In my case, for example, I read large majority of my comics on a tablet, that's about "comic sized".

I don't feel there's all that much difference in reading experience, albeit there is something really pleasant about reading a physical comic.

But against that something "pleasant" (can't "put my finger" precisely what it is) phyical comics have, digital comics have some significant advantages:-

1/ Storage problems disappear.
    2/ Frame by frame facility makes some comics easier to follow.
    3/ Digital sales are a good way to access a wide range of comics at good prices.
    4/ Marvel unlimited is a marvellous facility for any new reader wishing to delve widely into their back catalogue.
    As far as Marvel Unlimited is concerned, do they still have huge gaps in titles? When I was subscribed there was a ridiculous amount of runs that should be on there.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    As far as Marvel Unlimited is concerned, do they still have huge gaps in titles? When I was subscribed there was a ridiculous amount of runs that should be on there.
    There still seems to be some gaps (John Byrne's 'Sensational She-Hulk' is absent, for example... which is a shame. because I really want to read that series in full!) but they do keep adding older titles each week along with the new ones.

Marvel Unlimited is worth every penny in my opinion, especially to someone like me who has only been reading comics for a few years. It allows me to catch up on newer titles that I am not desperate to read and the oldies!

I collect only in trades, with a few exceptions for digital (which often get doubled up on in trades).

It is beyond me why anyone still picks up single issue physical copies anymore; they're the most inferior of formats.

You need to go to a specialty store to pay 3.99 for story fragment fed to you piecemeal, need to pre-order just to make sure they have it, and take special considerations to store them, and by extension read them.

Trades are more economical, you can just put them on a book shelf, you get a complete story if not several, if you order a bunch from amazon, you can have them delivered directly to your home; for free, and often slightly discounted.

Digital gets it to you instantaneously, takes up 0 space, no scarcity, constant sales, and accessible from anywhere you have an appropriate device... it is however a service and not a good.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!