54 80.60%
  • May-Bay! Really Depends on their Look

4 5.97%
  • Don't Care! Matters not if he wears gloves or not

4 5.97%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Generally no, too impersonal and imply vulnerability. But with the right alternate costume or theme I wouldn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by victorsage View Post
    Must be my age, but I really don't think "darkness" when I see gloves. Or aristocrats, I think of Looney Tunes, and classic animation. Unless it's set in the winter, gloves are mostly comical to me.
    Oh, they certainly don't have to imply "darkness", just noting that gloves on a superhero generally have a protective or militaristic feel, and that the gloves were purposefully used in "Red Son" as he progressed in his takeover phase of society.

I love Looney Tunes, and I'll give one more comical/fun one, too - Super Mario Bros.

Give Superman those gloves, and I'd say Mxy's 90 days must be up.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Nah gloves don't work on a Superman costume for me. The V shaped cuffs on New 52 Superman's costume irked me plenty, gloves just don't fit aesthetically.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Oh, they certainly don't have to imply "darkness", just noting that gloves on a superhero generally have a protective or militaristic feel, and that the gloves were purposefully used in "Red Son" as he progressed in his takeover phase of society.

I love Looney Tunes, and I'll give one more comical/fun one, too - Super Mario Bros.

Give Superman those gloves, and I'd say Mxy's 90 days must be up.
    Yeah, it's not "dark" it's just one more layer of distance. As for Mickey Mouse / Mario gloves, maybe Captain Carrot could get away with them, but it'd seem weird on Superman, if only because, well, they're a symbol of a different genre.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Yuck! No. There's always something...off in artwork with him wearing gloves. It just doesn't look right.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Nah. Changes the look too much, and moreover Superman should be someone whose hand you can shake.
    Buh-bye

So not needed . . . .

I liked it on Superman Beyond and Red Son Superman, but those are so obviously alternate versions of the character. I'd say nay for the main guy.

Honestly, I would have voted "No" myself, if I had read these various reasonings first. There is something about the literal phrase "with his bare hands" that DOES convey a sense of raw unadulterated strength that "gloved hands" simply don't.

But has DC ever tried putting just gloves on the classic suit in their own titles? Let's see. Internet, do your thang:

Wow. That image is clearly from the John Byrne era (anyone place which comic this originally is from?), and it does look more Post-COIE Kryptonian in form, but .... it doesn't look nearly as cool as I thought it would.

If even John Byrne can't make something look good on Supes, maybe it just can't look good on him, period.

However, I do like the idea of a symbiotic costume for Supes that can regenerate or regrow after taking damage. Seems like something all Kryptonians on Krypton would own.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-04-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Incredible Member

There's only one Super that can wear gloves....

Voted and replying before reading the thread, so apologies if Im just repeating people here.

Superman can't wear gloves any more than he can wear a mask.

Well, that might be a bit of a over-reaction but I do think its more or less true. The more you cover up, the more people think you have to hide. Superman not wearing a mask or gloves tells people that he's honest with them, that what he says is what he means and he doesn't have any ulterior motives at work. It also makes people think he doesn't have a secret identity, and the Clark Kent disguise works in part because no one is looking for Superman's other life.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That image leads to a similar thread here from two years ago. For the life of me, can't remember that scene. I did skip some of Byrne but I thought I was stronger than this...

But I can say the post crisis jumpsuits were like symbiotes in processing biological waste so that users didn't have to get naked

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Works for Injustice Superman, not so much for heroic Superman.

It's like giving him a mask. Not his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Voted and replying before reading the thread, so apologies if Im just repeating people here.

Superman can't wear gloves any more than he can wear a mask.

Well, that might be a bit of a over-reaction but I do think its more or less true. The more you cover up, the more people think you have to hide. Superman not wearing a mask or gloves tells people that he's honest with them, that what he says is what he means and he doesn't have any ulterior motives at work. It also makes people think he doesn't have a secret identity, and the Clark Kent disguise works in part because no one is looking for Superman's other life.
    of course! Instead of getting rid of Superman's trunks, they should have just ditched his pants entirely!
    IMG_0242.jpg
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-05-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    If you think about it, Superman touches so many things that I think all of us should be surprised why no one tries to take his fingerprints and match it with Clark Kent?
    This right here is probably the only practical reason left that could justify the gloves.

The gloves would protect against Clark leaving fingerprints everywhere he goes as Superman. Forget figuring out his secret ID (although that still is a concern), what about cloning attempts based off the Kryptonian DNA in his fingerprints?

Of course, there is another option that could bypass all this: Kryptonians simply don't have fingerprints in the first place.

Of course, that may be problematic for Clark posing as a human ...