54 80.60%
  • May-Bay! Really Depends on their Look

4 5.97%
  • Don't Care! Matters not if he wears gloves or not

4 5.97%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gloves?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If he doesn't have a bio electric aura to stop fingerprints or finds himself needing to have some, I suppose they'd have him use discreet temperature and attention to detail powers to compensate.

Nope, not for me.

Though, a costume with a huge royal swag effect like that is pretty much the only instance in which gloves actually look halfway decent. Still don't like them, but just giving credit where credit is due on an alternative take.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If he doesn't have a bio electric aura to stop fingerprints or finds himself needing to have some, I suppose they'd have him use discreet temperature and attention to detail powers to compensate.
    Who knows if he even HAS fingerprints.

Nah, gloves don't work on Superman's costume for me. Superman is a very "hands on" man of action. Putting gloves on him takes away from that. Plus all the other excellent reasons other people have mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Though, a costume with a huge royal swag effect like that is pretty much the only instance in which gloves actually look halfway decent. Still don't like them, but just giving credit where credit is due on an alternative take.
    reminds me, maybe, my favorite alternate costume for Superman, Godfall's got gloves (don't think anybody's mentioned that one yet?). Kind of a "royal swag to it," I think, likely why it pulls it off.
    Superman_Godfall_(World's_End).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Who knows if he even HAS fingerprints.
    I kinda like the idea of Clark lacking fingerprints because of his Kryptonian heritage. It's a small detail that helps bring Clark's other-ness to the surface.

Also, in the USA, your fingerprints aren't taken / inked unless you work for the government or are getting arrested. Neither scenarios is needed for Clark's story.

Also, Jim Lee once drew a bare-armed, gloved alternate costume that was never used:

Yeah ... looks alright (kinda get a 1992 Image Youngblood vibe) but the gloves still don't imply overt strength.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-05-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    reminds me, maybe, my favorite alternate costume for Superman, Godfall's got gloves (don't think anybody's mentioned that one yet?). Kind of a "royal swag to it," I think, likely why it pulls it off.
    Superman_Godfall_(World's_End).jpg
    Love the Godfall costume. Far too detailed for most artists to pull off, but Turner and Caldwell really nailed it.

Not a costume I'd want to see as the standard either, but I wouldn't be against it being used on a semi-regular basis in some way or another.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Gloves are almost like him needing a breathing mask in space. It diminishes him somehow.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I kinda like the idea of Clark lacking fingerprints because of his Kryptonian heritage. It's a small detail that helps bring Clark's other-ness to the surface.

Also, in the USA, your fingerprints aren't taken / inked unless you work for the government or are getting arrested. Neither scenarios is needed for Clark's story.

Also, Jim Lee once drew a bare-armed, gloved alternate costume that was never used:

Yeah ... looks alright (kinda get a 1992 Image Youngblood vibe) but the gloves still don't imply overt strength.

Funny thing is pre-coie Superman did have fingerprints, but he did not leave his fingerprints on things he touched. It was because he did not sweat. It's the oils in your sweat that cause you to leave your fingerprints on things you touch. Otoh there were times that he did leave his prints on things. if he touched or grabbed something with a little too much force. Those times his prints were pressed into whatever he touched.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Astonishing Member

I know that I'm in the minority, but I am one of those people who really like or prefer when certain obvious questions are given an explanation. Why doesn't Superman leave fingerprints on everything he touches thus exposing his secret identity? I mean, the comics could just explain that being an alien Clark and other Kryptonians don't have fingerprints. Or that he just uses his heat vision to temporarily burn off his fingerprints when he high-speed flies to a crisis. Or that he vibrates his fingers at superspeed so that any prints would be hopelessly smudged. Or he could just wear gloves. And I don't rightly care what answer DC comes up with, but I would love an official reason instead of making up my own headcanon. Headcannon? Whichever.

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Gloves are almost like him needing a breathing mask in space. It diminishes him somehow.
    My head canon for that isn't that he needs a breathing mask to breathe in space, but that he needs it to talk in space. Sound can't travel in a vacuum, so you need air to conduct sound, and then speakers/microphones in the mask sends his words to others.

Then again superheroes talking in space like physics don't exist has always been one of the few science things to irk me in the genre. I give Green Lanterns a pass and chalk it up to the power rings, or Martian Manhunter using telepathy, but otherwise full on talking in the vacuum of space bugs me.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Works for me..#ScienceGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    of course! Instead of getting rid of Superman's trunks, they should have just ditched his pants entirely!
    Attachment 54327
    Actually they do that whenever they have superman gladiatoring.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-08-2022 at 09:47 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Homelander on THE BOYS shows gloves can look fine, so I wouldn't be opposed to something akin to that.