Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    This recent article had me thinking about how female action heroes are portrayed in film and television:
    http://screenrant.com/thor-3-tessa-t...-male-writers/

I don't know that I necessarily agree with her thoughts. I actually think that they are being less sexualized than they were a decade ago. But, that is just me. Thoughts?
    (Female person here)

As has been stated men there are plenty of men in comic book movies who have taken off their shirts. In fact I can't think of one film that I have seen (with the exception of maybe the Keaton Batman films, thankfully) where the major hero has not stripped to his waist and given us a display of his pecs. No one wants to see a woman out of shape.

And honestly given the way that Tessa behaved and was dressed in Westworld, she should be the last person yapping about sexualized women:

The scene might have been inserted as fan service for women given the fact that WW is also a bordello aimed at male clients. But it was still gratuitous and unnecessary.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    But it was still gratuitous and unnecessary.
    Naked Tessa is never gratuitous lol

Mighty Member

presumably she's using the word "male" to describe the various unnamed authors of bad scripts that she's read. if they'd called it "Actress believes the word 'Badass' is over-used in Hollywood" it wouldn't have gotten as many people to read it. but if she's specifically slamming male writers... well, then you've got people hooked.

my take-away from reading the interview really hinges on the second paragraph quoted. yeah, I realize that it's easy to fixate on the first one. but I believe the first paragraph is mostly set-up for the second one: the one where she specifically complains about writers using the word "badass".

It’s terrible, because it doesn’t mean anything. It’s a dumb male writer’s way of saying, ‘Ah, uh, she’s like, she, uh, she’s tough.’ Then straight after that it’s like, ‘She’s badass, but she’s got a beauty about her. And she’s sexy. Unconsciously sexy.’”

she's complaining about how utterly generic most female characters are in action movies. once you strip away the "badass", "beautiful", and "sexy" parts there frequently is nothing left that can be used to define the character with! and this bland character description could be hundreds of utterly forgettable characters.

without a full transcript of the interview it's still a matter of interpretation, of course. it feels like there was more to this interview but they deliberately only included the most inflammatory quotes and ignored what was probably most of the set-up that lead to those quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    (Female person here)

As has been stated men there are plenty of men in comic book movies who have taken off their shirts. In fact I can't think of one film that I have seen (with the exception of maybe the Keaton Batman films, thankfully) where the major hero has not stripped to his waist and given us a display of his pecs. No one wants to see a woman out of shape.

And honestly given the way that Tessa behaved and was dressed in Westworld, she should be the last person yapping about sexualized women:

The scene might have been inserted as fan service for women given the fact that WW is also a bordello aimed at male clients. But it was still gratuitous and unnecessary.
    I doubt she had any say in how her character was written.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I doubt she had any say in how her character was written.
    I'm sure she knew the deal befoare taking the role.

Extraordinary Member

Can she name the last action movie she saw where a female action hero was objectified? Cause I like her but this sounds like bs.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

But here's the thing though. People act like male action heroes are so well thought out. lol Outside of adaptations they're pretty shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    I'm sure she knew the deal befoare taking the role.
    Doesn't negate my point in the slightest. If it weren't her it would have been someone else.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-12-2017 at 11:07 PM.

BANNED

Doesn't negate my point in the slightest. If it weren't her it would have been someone else.
    No, it totally negates your point. Your point seems to be some kind of, "well, even if she did have a problem, what can she do, she didn't write it, she just acted it" type thing. If she has some kind of problem with female characters being sexualized, she can just not do a role in which the character is sexualized. Also, stuff like nudity is in the contract, and actors can have some say in how the character they play is characterized.

Who gives a **** if it's someone else? Maybe that someone else has zero problem with a character being sexualized, she on the other hand seems to have some problem with it.

The interview is just such a weird one, mostly because men have been far more sexualized in superhero movies for a number of years now.

No, it totally negates your point.
    How does it negate my point? Or hers for that matter? She’s not the first actress in Hollywood to complain about sexualisation while playing a character that was sexualized. If anything, it further proves she’s got a clue as to what she’s talking about.

Your point seems to be some kind of, "well, even if she did have a problem, what can she do, she didn't write it, she just acted it" type thing. If she has some kind of problem with female characters being sexualized, she can just not do a role in which the character is sexualized. Also, stuff like nudity is in the contract, and actors can have some say in how the character they play is characterized.
    Because it isn’t as if Hollywood doesn’t have a notorious history of getting women to do things they’d rather not do.

Who gives a **** if it's someone else? Maybe that someone else has zero problem with a character being sexualized, she on the other hand seems to have some problem with it.
    And maybe that person does have a problem with it but doesn’t want to speak out against it. She on the other hand does have a problem with it and is talking about it.

The interview is just such a weird one, mostly because men have been far more sexualized in superhero movies for a number of years now.
    A handful of scenes in total of the three Chrises with their shirts off does not in anyway mean that the sexualisation ratio of men to women is equal.

BANNED

How does it negate my point? Or hers for that matter? She’s not the first actress in Hollywood to complain about sexualisation while playing a character that was sexualized. If anything, it further proves she’s got a clue as to what she’s talking about.
    Yeah, she isn't the first hypocrite.

Because it isn’t as if Hollywood doesn’t have a notorious history of getting women to do things they’d rather not do.
    People aren't being press ganged into movie and tv roles.

And maybe that person does have a problem with it but doesn’t want to speak out against it. She on the other hand does have a problem with it and is talking about it.
    They don't, this hypothetical person doesn't have a problem with it.

Then maybe she shouldn't take roles like that.

A handful of scenes in total of the three Chrises with their shirts off does not in anyway mean that the sexualisation ratio of men to women is equal.
    I didn't say it was equal. I said men are more sexualized in superhero movies than women are now.

BANNED

I have to agree. Dave Cockrum clearly created Storm to be the most powerful woman in comics and the most beautiful woman in comics and that has never translated over to her portrayals in film.

Fantastic Member

Here is a video I found online; I think that it applies to all forms of media here: .

BANNED

She lost me when she started applying hard scientific facts to fantasy literature.

As for West World that show sexualizes everyone it even had extras sign special legal documents because they were going to be naked and touched.

As for the article I disagree with how the argument is being handled in it but not disagreeing with the argument. Men are definitely sexualized in action films my mum loves action films for the eye candy she took me to see Masters of the Universe as a kid because DL was running around in a speedo in it. But the difference IMO between male and female sexualization in action films is male sexualization has a double meaning of both desire and strength/masculinity while female sexualization in action films only display desire IMO and that's a valid argument for discussion.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 06-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.