My review of Book One of The Dark Knight Returns. In the build up to my review of Dark Knight 3: The Master Race I thought i'd go through the series issue by issue giving my thoughts on the graphic novel.

Upon its release The Dark Knight Returns changed the landscape of comics. It offered a gritty take on the caped crusader that was a complete polar opposite to the 1966 show. Before this book Batman was regarded as a clown by the public consciousness. A loveable joke that provided comedic relief on a Saturday morning. It was a far cry from the dark look at crime that the character had once been and The Dark Knight Returns restored the character to the status quo whilst deconstructing comics in the process.

But does it still stand up?

It's been 30 years since it's release and whilst it is one of my favourite graphic novels of all time even I can admit that it's not perfect. Tastes change and the scrutiny that we now hold comics to may not shine a good light on this book under modern eyes.

There's also the fact that Frank Miller's views can be very, very controversial.

Is this book still one of the best or is it a product of it's time?

That's what I'm here to find out. So without further ado let's dive into The Dark Knight Returns