Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Noticed something...

I noticed in the Batman section of this site it's mostly appreciation and issue discussion. Not very many arguments compared to other forums I follow. Is it because the Batman books are usually the most popular and most well received? It doesn't seem to me like people bitch about stuff like they do in other forums as much. People may see it a different way but it's just something I've noticed.

Oh I've seen plenty of arguing. Just depends on where you look.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Oh I've seen plenty of arguing. Just depends on where you look.
    Pretty much this.

Though, I wouldn't say this section of the forum has it as bad as some of the others I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    Pretty much this.

Though, I wouldn't say this section of the forum has it as bad as some of the others I have seen.
    Well that's what I mean. Compared to other stuff. I'm sure are some but it isn't as much.

Fair point. I guess there isn't as much extremism here.

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    Fair point. I guess there isn't as much extremism here.
    It is because Batman has been successful with different interpretations? In a Wonder Woman or Superman thread, people have what their idea of what that character should be is. With Batman, you may have your own idea but 99% of the time he's had success with an interpretation you're not a fan of. Is Batman just a golden goose?

I think every board has its passionate debates. Sticking to the Big 2 boards, these are the biggest issues dominating over the past few years

Batman: Battle of the Batgirl fandoms; To a lesser extent, clash of the Damian, Tim and now Duke fandoms
    General DC: Battle of the various Green Lantern fandoms; Non-Trinity DC fandoms saying they've been neglected; DCEU arguments
    General Marvel: Various fandoms whose fave is not included in the MCU & downplayed in comics feeling slighted, F4 being a major example; "Alt-Right" vs. "SJW" wars
    Spider-Man: Marriage/Mary Jane fans vs. Non-Marriage/MJ fans; Dan Slott fans vs. Dan Slott non-fans
    Superman: Anti-New 52 fans vs. pro-New 52 fans/DCEU Superman fans vs. non-fans
    Wonder Woman: Anti-New 52 fans vs. pro-New 52 fans/Fans of various Wonder Girls/Amazons feeling slighted
    X-Books: CompleX, Fox vs. Marvel debates, O5 non-fans not feeling satisfied, Fandoms of various neglected X-Generations feeling slighted

The most common theme for these debates are the dissatisfaction of fandoms who feel their character is neglected or mischaracterized, usually to the benefit of some other character. The second most common issue is a divisive portrayal of favorite characters in film.

Rebirth has made an effort to fix the issues caused by New 52's mischaracterizations and divisive status quos, and also help utilize previously ignored characters, which is why the Trinity boards calmed down over the past few months. On a whole, the DC boards currently don't engage in as heated debates as the Marvel boards, with the topic of the DCEU being a major exception. I don't see the Marvel boards calming down any time soon though, as they have issues with many of the (for now) long-term mandates of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    It is because Batman has been successful with different interpretations? In a Wonder Woman or Superman thread, people have what their idea of what that character should be is. With Batman, you may have your own idea but 99% of the time he's had success with an interpretation you're not a fan of. Is Batman just a golden goose?
    Might be because the Batman line of books (and adapted media) isn't the zero-sum game that a lot of other Big 2 properties. There will always be multiple Bat books for fans of different interpretations or Batfamily characters. You can't say the same for the Flash, or Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Yeah as side from Duke threads there hasn't really been a lot arguments recently and I suspect even that will die down soon. i think Joybeans is right that the diversity and abundance of material bat fans fortunately are more satisfied than most.

Extraordinary Member

There were years when there were very toxic and heated debates here following the Nu52 reboot. The Batgirls situation, the quality of the Snyder run, the quality of the Simone run, ect.. Then came Damian's death. It was a messy time. The two Eternal stories were also very controversial, and Snyder's pets Harper and Duke remain controversial.

But thankfully Steph and Cass are back, satisfying their fans to some extent. Despite being 'killed off,' Tim has been written much more like he should be since Rebirth, and the cast actually seems diverse and not just carbon copies of each other like they were after the Nu52.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I still see lots of arguing in the King and Snyder threads, so I can't say I see your point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Yeah as side from Duke threads there hasn't really been a lot arguments recently and I suspect even that will die down soon. i think Joybeans is right that the diversity and abundance of material bat fans fortunately are more satisfied than most.
    Or some of us have just given up on the franchise in general.
    I use to really enjoy Bat-books, but they've ended Gotham Academy (at least for now) and I'm only buying Batgirl and Mother Panic at present.
    Back in the New52, when I got tired of Snyder on Batman I could at least enjoy Detective Comics (at least until Tomasi took over the writing), but now I don't find either King's Batman or Tynion's Detective Comics worth reading.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There were years when there were very toxic and heated debates here following the Nu52 reboot. The Batgirls situation, the quality of the Snyder run, the quality of the Simone run, ect.. Then came Damian's death. It was a messy time. The two Eternal stories were also very controversial, and Snyder's pets Harper and Duke remain controversial.

But thankfully Steph and Cass are back, satisfying their fans to some extent. Despite being 'killed off,' Tim has been written much more like he should be since Rebirth, and the cast actually seems diverse and not just carbon copies of each other like they were after the Nu52.
    Mostly calm. But I feel like it's more simmering rather than actually peaceful. If Steph or Cass are erased or killed - OR one is promoted to Batgirl and the other isn't, I think it'll flare up pretty nastily, sadly.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Batman has had so many versions of him showcased that you are really hard press for one version.

If's not Adam West, It's Kevin Conroy or some version of him that folks like. A badly written Batman doesn't happen to the point it hurts him. No one gets written better over him.

Also aside from a few-you don't have the either or complex you see elsewhere.

I am not forced to choose between Tim, Dick, Jason or Damian. SOMEONE is using one of them.

The Batgirls was a situation that enforces the gripes of many about characters getting tossed in favor of pets. We saw it all out in the open with no denial of hate for Cass & Stephanie by management. And everybody saw it. Unlike with The Flash or Green Lantern where those being pandered to act like they don't see it.

Excluding the pointless Duke bashing-Batman remains the one place you can toss new guys in and unlike Duke-they at least get a chance. People forget it took 3 years for Stephanie to even appear in Batman after her first appearance.

Under the Batman watch-mini & ongoings
    Tim (5)
    Step (1)
    Batwing (1)
    Duke (1)
    Operhus(1)
    Catwoman (3)
    Harley (too many)
    Babs (3)
    Birds of Prey (3)
    Huntress (2)
    Azreal (4)
    Joker (1)
    Chase (1)
    Red Hood (2)
    Cass (1)
    Damian (1)
    Nightwing (10?)
    Talon (1)
    WAR (1)
    Gotham Academy (2)
    Gotham Central (1)
    Poison Ivy (1ish)
    Penguin
    Bane

5 of these guys boast 100 issue run with everyone who had an ongoing except Chase boasting a double digit run.

Only other guy who can boast this huge of a family is Peter Parker with at least 1 boating a 100 issue run with Miles only 3 years away.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Spider-Man: Marriage/Mary Jane fans vs. Non-Marriage/MJ fans; Dan Slott fans vs. Dan Slott non-fans
    Superman: Anti-New 52 fans vs. pro-New 52 fans/DCEU Superman fans vs. non-fans
    These two are definitely heated ones I've seen and partcipated in. Duke, Tim, and Damian debates seem the only thing that are similar to the fundamental fights you see with Superman and Spidey.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”