Page 46 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    The problem is that the direct market is such a constricted delivery system that if even 20% of the outlets are old school throwbacks, it's going to have a significant impact on sales.
    That's the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    The problem is that the direct market is such a constricted delivery system that if even 20% of the outlets are old school throwbacks, it's going to have a significant impact on sales.
    Nostalgia = death.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Nostalgia = death.
    Tell that to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Tell that to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
    A film that introduced new characters for a new generation in the form of Rey and Finn - a move which enraged some older fans who thought the movie was catering to women and minorities and ignoring the "real fans" who "made Star Wars what it is" in favor of "SJW's." It enraged these fans to the point where they called for a boycott of the film - even though the SW universe had always been a progressive place and the new characters weren't a threat to the old ones.

Any of this sound oddly familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Nostalgia = death.
    How can I be nostalgic about something that I'm reading for the first time, that was written before I was even born, in a period in time I have no particular attachment to?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    A film that introduced new characters for a new generation in the form of Rey and Finn - a move which enraged some older fans who thought the movie was catering to women and minorities and ignoring the "real fans" who "made Star Wars what it is" in favor of "SJW's." It enraged these fans to the point where they called for a boycott of the film - even though the SW universe had always been a progressive place and the new characters weren't a threat to the old ones.

All that may be so sadly

But it's still true that plenty of new fans watched it from their own interest or seeing the originals themselves

some new fans will have watched it from hearing how great the original material was from older fans

And lots of older fans will have enjoyed it too

nostalgic rose tinted memorise might prevent some people enjoying new refreshing ideas

But likewise nostalgic interest can keep interest in something alive enough for new fans to grow into it - the bbc series dr who is a good example of this

not all older fans are detest progress or new ideas - no matter the level of noise detractors may make
    Last edited by kilderkin; 09-07-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Spectacular Member

The film that lifted much of its plot from the first Star Wars movie.
    But really, there's no need to single it out. The entire series is fueled by nostalgia.
    Three crappy movies in a row did great at the box office because they were called "Star Wars."
    Literally anything Star Wars related is almost guaranteed to make money. That's the power of the nostalgia dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    How can I be nostalgic about something that I'm reading for the first time, that was written before I was even born, in a period in time I have no particular attachment to?
    ^^^^^This post! Love it!

Careful of the deflection. It will hit you in the face if you don't duck.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

Nostalgia is an emotion, not a rational thing.

Many people are nostalgic for things that never existed in the first place. Like politics-free Marvel comics or the mythical 1950's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    But really, there's no need to single it out. The entire series is fueled by nostalgia.
    Three crappy movies in a row did great at the box office because they were called "Star Wars."
    Literally anything Star Wars related is almost guaranteed to make money. That's the power of the nostalgia dollar.
    True that

it's all over hollywood

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

Many people are nostalgic for things that never existed in the first place. Like politics-free Marvel comics or the mythical 1950's.
    Then people are weird...

And it's the movie with the third largest box office, and in top 10 when adjusted by inflation.
    And it reminds me when people complained about people complaining about Mad Max being feminist propaganda, when actually was just one article and three comments saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

BANNED

Then people are weird...
    Yes, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    star wars itself is a lift from HIDDEN FORTRESS and, y'know, every myth about a boy adventurer in western civilization.

Nostalgia is not what fuels the success of Star Wars. If it was, they wouldn't need to advance the story.

if the shoe doesn't fit why are you trying to wear it?