Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Comics you want to see turned into movies...

My choice would be Hookjaw : a 1970's Jaws rip-off featuring a huge great white with a harpoon stuck in his mouth for extra damage. The violence in this comic was controversial in its day leading to a lot of talk on UK Tv and newspapers. It was recently revived by Titan comics with Simon Spurrier writing it. 47 metres down was too much whiny girls not enough shark IMHO, so I'd love something crazier...

and you?

Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows.

Continuation of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

Mighty Member

Maus as an animated independent feature

Id love to see the sixth gun as a tv series with the cast of Game Of Thrones in the lead.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

There are very few ongoing comics I'd like to see turned into movies as opposed to TV shows. But I have a strong preference for following the original storyline, and it seems like that's unheard-of in comics adaptations.

So I'd only want to see comics adapted under the the oversight of the original creators.

#1 - Transmetropolitan. (Would probably have to be animated, unless you have a massive FX budget)
    Sandman
    Y: The Last Man
    Rat Queens
    Paper Girls
    Blue Monday
    Hopeless Savages
    Courtney Crumrin
    Locke & Key (in development)
    Girl Genius (webcomic)
    Fables
    Love & Rockets (Hoppers 13)
    Love & Rockets (Palomar)

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    There are very few ongoing comics I'd like to see turned into movies as opposed to TV shows. But I have a strong preference for following the original storyline, and it seems like that's unheard-of in comics adaptations.

So I'd only want to see comics adapted under the the oversight of the original creators.

#1 - Transmetropolitan. (Would probably have to be animated, unless you have a massive FX budget)
    Sandman
    Rat Queens
    Paper Girls
    Blue Monday
    Hopeless Savages
    Courtney Crumrin
    Girl Genius (webcomic)
    Fables
    Love & Rockets (Palomar)
    Ratqueens was supposed to get a cartoon before all the drama and delays and reboots.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Ratqueens was supposed to get a cartoon before all the drama and delays and reboots.
    The first movie option almost never pans out.

They could have had a great series with Warren Ellis's "Global Frequency," but the studio got pissed off because someone leaked the pilot. Now, in the age when all pilots leak, I hope someone will revisit it.

Movies only, eh? Okay...

1. The Authority. A trilogy of movies featuring the first three storylines from the Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch run (major props to Paul Neary inking and Laura Martin colours). I would normally hand it off to Michael Bay, but ever since he got caught up in the Transformers movies, I have not liked a single thing he has done since the first TF movie. In the absence of someone with amazing visuals of Bay, my secondary choice would be Chad Stahelski. I think he's primed to really take off as the next epic action director.

2. Invincible. I would prefer that this be a series of animated movies. Preferably with 2D art, so it can really maximize the violence and gore.

3. Marvels and Earth X. This is sort of a bookend 2-movie deal that I would love to see covering the end of the MCU. I would love to see a point in history where the MCU has developed to such a huge point that basically a one-off movie about Phil Sheldon, where he chronicles the beginning of the MCU up to his retirement is very much possible. A lot would have to be aligned for these two movies to occur. Full rights to the F4 franchise and Namor would be required and maybe partial access to the mutant characters would need to happen. The Inhumans would also need to be far away from incompetent showrunners and executive producers. I envision a small budget movie with a lot of guest stars in Marvels and a big budget epic finale with Earth X. Obviously, the F4 would need to be well within the MCU for the payoff at the end of Earth X to work. These are two movies that are basically wish-fulfillment on my part because of how many things would need to go right in order for both of them to happen.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Thor/ Iron Man God Complex. High Evolutionary decides to make a new pantheon of Gods and wants Tony Stark to be one of them, the God of technology.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Of actual comic books and not just a character in someone else's comic book I would like to see these done live action:

Gotham City Sirens
    Catwoman (the one in her own comic books)
    Supergirl (time for a reboot)
    Birds of Prey

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Assuming Marvel did some new older audience animated movies like Warner's animated universe these would be my picks...

Secret Wars (1984)
    Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
    Wolverine and Kitty Pryde
    Civil War/World War Hulk/Secret Invasion/Dark Reign and Siege Anthology
    Superior Spider-Man
    1602 or 1872 (nice counterpart to Gotham by Gaslight)
    Hickman's Fantastic Four Anthology

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post

Sandman
    Rat Queens
    Paper Girls
    Blue Monday
    Hopeless Savages
    Courtney Crumrin
    Girl Genius (webcomic)
    Fables
    Love & Rockets (Palomar)
    This seems like something that would be incredibly successful if it was a TV show. I've never read the books but from what I know it's one of the great comics and has a very interesting premise. I know a lot of people who don't read comics that have read this and swear by it. I think people would eat it up. I'm actually shocked that it hasn't been made yet.

For me it's obviously the New Gods. You don't even have to tie it into the DCEU movies (except for maybe a Darkseid or Steppenwolf cameo by whoever will be portraying him in a JL movie).

Strontium Dog would make a great film.
    Ballad of Halo Jones
    Lazarus
    Anything by Brubaker/Phillips.

Moon Knight: Most people are clamoring for MK to join the Natflix lineup of Marvel heroes, but rather than be a second-tier hero in the Netflix MCU, maybe he should be a prominent member of the next phase of Marvel movies! Netflix has the NYC street heroes well covered. But the movie universe doesn't have a prominent masked urban vigilante franchise - MK really could be Marvel's Batman, just less serious... and a lot more "Indiana Jones." Take into account his past as an international mercenary, his quasi-mystical origins and kooky/schizo personalities, I can see Marvel making Marc Spector the most hands-on, "street" hero of the cinematic MCU but with a foot still in the Indiana Jones, Egyptian god, mystical bent. He has a kooky personality, a built-in cast of helpers, multiple identities that don't involve a mask (which helps give the actors more to do than fight and the CGI dept less to do as well), and fun toys/gadgets!

Alien Legion: "Dirty Dozen" in space - cmon...!

The New Gods: Needs the right director to make it really epic and meaningful, rather than an EFX-bloated monstrosity ... so it most likely will never happen...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-05-2017 at 09:52 AM.

More Hellboy Animated by Del Toro.