Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Bob Oksner's cover for WONDER WOMAN No. 212 has always been one of my favourites--it's too bad Oksner wasn't the regular WW artist--and I always liked the way he drew the outfit. The way the eagle is drawn could easily be adapted to the double W. And it's unfortunate he neglected to put the white stripe on the boots. I imagine most people don't like the way the stars are sized and drawn--or the placement of one star--but this never bothered me and I think it looks really cool.

While I always liked that cover because of the dramatic effect that is shown on the characters, the only thing I did like about WW was the completely red boots!

I never liked that hair, chest emblem nor the few large stars. And back then, I thought the belt was incorrectly drawn and miscolored as white, lol!

I thought for a short time in the early 70's the boots were all red? They're all red on the Ms. Magazine cover and the Super-Friends. I don't like them because they look too easy to come by, while the white stripe boots look custom made.

WW SUPER FRIENDS 2.jpg

My dislike for big stars and the eagle and belt attaching to each other and forming a diamond shape over her midsection, stems from the 70's costume. Oddly enough none of it bothers me in context, because along with the hair flip it's all cool in a retro way, but when the same elements appear on modern costumes they're appalling.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

WW SUPER FRIENDS 2.jpg

My dislike for big stars and the eagle and belt attaching to each other and forming a diamond shape over her midsection, stems from the 70's costume. Oddly enough none of it bothers me in context, because along with the hair flip it's all cool in a retro way, but when the same elements appear on modern costumes they're appalling.
    To me this doesn't look retro--this looks modern. I guess my age is showing. But the Toth style hair seems like cartoon shorthand. It's not really a hairstyle that real women ever had--it's just a cartoonist economy of image to show woman-hair. The red boots didn't bother me at the time--but the white stripe on red seems like the classic WW boot and it goes with the American flag theme. I much prefer the eagle the way Oksner and Toth drew it over how it was drawn by 90% of the artists in the comics at the time.

What kind of wings are those? Also I like it when the belt is white and clearly separate from the eagle. I like belts to be belts for real. It always bugged me when there were too many small stars peppering her bottoms, just because in standard comics this got too busy on the page. With today's modern tech it's possible to drop stars into the design and have them offset printed without looking crowded on the page--so it's not such a big deal anymore. But I don't see the reason for using so many stars--five stars make the point just as easily as fifty and it's less work.

Retired

For the record, my favourite footwear was the sandals. Or better yet barefoot--however, artists aren't likely to show the Wonder Woman running around barefoot, even though Tarzan-like I think Diana could because she's that tough. Still, sandals do the job.

My favorite would be adding star-spangled shorts and American elements, like eagle, stars and white stripes, to the current costume. It's too shiny, too metallic and just too much for comic books.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-10-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

To me this doesn't look retro--this looks modern. I guess my age is showing. But the Toth style hair seems like cartoon shorthand. It's not really a hairstyle that real women ever had--it's just a cartoonist economy of image to show woman-hair. The red boots didn't bother me at the time--but the white stripe on red seems like the classic WW boot and it goes with the American flag theme. I much prefer the eagle the way Oksner and Toth drew it over how it was drawn by 90% of the artists in the comics at the time.

What kind of wings are those? Also I like it when the belt is white and clearly separate from the eagle. I like belts to be belts for real. It always bugged me when there were too many small stars peppering her bottoms, just because in standard comics this got too busy on the page. With today's modern tech it's possible to drop stars into the design and have them offset printed without looking crowded on the page--so it's not such a big deal anymore. But I don't see the reason for using so many stars--five stars make the point just as easily as fifty and it's less work.
    If you google "60's hair flip hairstyle" you get a lot of images like this one.

60s-Flip-Hairstyle.jpg

I chose this picture of Mary Richards from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" because thanks to watching all the episodes on Nick at Nite I think her personality is a lot like Diana's. They're both endlessly nice, but not to the point that it's annoying or feels forced. They're both confident leaders, feminist icons, long suffering and remain above the fray in the midst of chaos.

I agree with everything else you said though, except what I call the three feathered eagle being superior to the golden Valkyrie cup wings.

Retired

Sorry, but those weird cups were the thing that bugged me the most out of all the Wonder Woman costume design elements that have ever existed. I just couldn't understand why so many DC artists drew them like that in the '70s. It was like they were saying "I give up. I just don't know what to do here." So whenever an artist did something different--anything different--I was so relieved. The double W sort of solved that problem, but then there were some rather awkwared W designs that bugged me almost as much.

Sorry, but those weird cups were the thing that bugged me the most out of all the Wonder Woman costume design elements that have ever existed. I just couldn't understand why so many DC artists drew them like that in the '70s. It was like they were saying "I give up. I just don't know what to do here." So whenever an artist did something different--anything different--I was so relieved. The double W sort of solved that problem, but then there were some rather awkwared W designs that bugged me almost as much.
    lol Great commentary! No need to apologize, we all have our personal preferences and all of them are valid. I think the cups were meant to resemble the ABC eagle from the tv show.

WW LYNDA 89.jpg

I loved when it trickled down to Cassie's costume but was over a tunic instead of a strapless bodice.

WW WG cassandra_sandsmark_wonder_girl_by_promethean_arts-d7ri5bj.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-10-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Speaking of weird double W designs, Jim Lee's New 52 Justice League eagle/W/star combo was the worst.

WW JIM LEE NEW 52.jpg

It's also weird how I grew to like the New 52 costume when drawn by other artists. After initially hating the chevron ridges on the top and the blue/black boots, I kind of miss it now.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-10-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Bob Oksner's cover for WONDER WOMAN No. 212 has always been one of my favourites--it's too bad Oksner wasn't the regular WW artist--and I always liked the way he drew the outfit. The way the eagle is drawn could easily be adapted to the double W. And it's unfortunate he neglected to put the white stripe on the boots. I imagine most people don't like the way the stars are sized and drawn--or the placement of one star--but this never bothered me and I think it looks really cool.

Yeah-- the WOndie of my youth! Toth had completely simplified and modernized her costume for SUperFriends and that carried over into comics to some degree.... especially the all red boots and more graphic eagle/belt combo.... clean, neat and graphic!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    Anybody miss Wonder Woman's classic costume?
    YES!

This will always be the definitive costume for me.
    WonderWomanVol1-272.jpg

Looked even better in live-action!
    entertainment-2016-03-lynda-carter-wonder-woman-main.jpg

Ultimate Member

^No, I never was really all that fond of it myself.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    YES!

This will always be the definitive costume for me.
    WonderWomanVol1-272.jpg

Looked even better in live-action!
    entertainment-2016-03-lynda-carter-wonder-woman-main.jpg
    I would second this post

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    hmmmm, something like this, maybe?
    Attachment 54492
    That's pretty close. But, the heavy armour on the thighs and arms seems unwieldy and unnecessary. I wouldn't mind if that was her "battle armour" version for when she's facing incredibly physically powerful foes (e.g. Darkseid). Or if it was "magical" armour which helped her battle villains who wield magic. The boots could perhaps be streamlined a little as well as they're pretty bulk with the eagle knee-pads.

Otherwise, I think it looks pretty awesome.