Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    ^ Thanks, I'll make a note of that.

That ... sounds like something Chris Claremont would have written. Has it ever been referenced again?
    Nope! Even I had to cringe at Claremont for that boner.

That ... sounds like something Chris Claremont would have written. Has it ever been referenced again?
    Pretty sure not.

Off the top of my head:

Brubaker's X-Men run has been pretty well buried; the Deadly Genesis mini is about the only thing that had any substantial repercussions. Ditto Bedard, and the Alan Davis Uncanny and X-Men v 2 runs.

Chuck Austen's X-Men v2 literally dumped most of his contributions to the franchise into a black hole. Can be safely skipped.

Way's Astonishing X-Men run had little impact. Gage and Asmus introduced Broo, and that's about it. Pak's is a must-read if you intend to follow up with his X-Treme X-Men run, but not if you intend to give that a skip.

Excalibur post-Ellis hasn't had a lot of impact on the franchise; Meggan and Brian's wedding took place in the final issues, but that's about it. Raab's miniseries is skippable. If vol 3 is Claremont doing Xavier and Magneto on Genosha, skip. If it's the team in Britain again, that does have some stuff with Chamber that's relevant later.

Aside from the cross-over issues with Hopeless' X-Force, Humphries' X-Force can be skipped.

Isn't it an utter disaster that there is only one female writer in that entire list?
    And even worse, I think the entire rest of them are all straight white males.

Quote Originally Posted by planetxmen View Post
    Isn't it an utter disaster that there is only one female writer in that entire list?
    And even worse, I think the entire rest of them are all straight white males.
    Pak's not white. Gillen's not straight. Humphries is neither white nor straight.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-04-2017 at 03:33 PM.

I think it's missed a few books out that he has already read: Louise Simonson on New Mutants and X-Factor and Ann Nocenti for Longshot (and they were X-editors)
    Plus G. Willow Wilson's four issue run on X-Men, but, that definitely needs improving for a comic series that supposedly serves as a for metaphor for minorities. 'ResurrXion' is somewhat changing that:

Christina Strain, writer of Gen X, is a woman who I believe is Korean-American

Sina Grace, writer of Iceman, is openly gay .

Greg Pak, writer of Weapon X, isn't white.

So there is something I guess
    Last edited by WheelchairX; 09-04-2017 at 03:37 PM.
    I’ve just published my very first work on ‘Archive of Our Own’, under the same name as here. It is the first chapter of ‘I Am My Own Best Friend ~ An Emma Frost Road Trip’, which focuses on Emma between the events of IvX and Secret Empire, including the White Queen going on a road trip, to try and have fun!

You can read the story here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15795663

I hope you enjoy it as much I did writing it!

BANNED

Everything about IvX is skippable. There's no way a story like that should have even hit print. The big bad was a cloud and Storm was the definitive leader of the X-men. The blatant disrespect to the X-men, Storm specifically, is almost too much to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Austen's New X-Men run is skippable because it's pretty much just an epilogue to Morrison's work and adds absolutely nothing of value to it.
    He didn't do much on his New X-Men run no. Xorn's twin, cleaning things up and alot of other things were just editorial edicts.

If you want to keep your soul, don't read Chuck Austen Uncanny run because it is unreadable. The only long standing plot point from that is Azazel, who is an actually demon, and the father of Nightcrawler
    His Uncanny run though for Polaris is must reading for her character not because he had new ideas as all of them were old ideas some very old, but because he took what was loosely set up before by other writers and played it out without giving a damn. Austen certainly had his faults, but when he had a direction he wouldn't half ass things.

Writers were toying with many of the things he did before him with her, but if someone didn't execute the ideas they were toying with and were still afraid to pull the trigger by 2004 I don't think any of it would have happened given when HoM occurred soon after and not too long after it was pretty clear IP protection on giving Fox ideas they could use had started.
    Last edited by jmc247; 09-04-2017 at 08:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Skip Loeb's run on X-Force. It was terrible, mostly forgettable and John Francis Moore undid everything ASAP. (The Reignfire story will seem to end on a cliffhanger, but Loeb never really said what happened next, anyway.) Nothing came of Warren Ellis's Counter X X-Force, either. After that the title was shifted to the X-statix team, so you can skip that unless you're a Doop fan.
    I'm in the middle of that now. So far, I like the New Mutant reunion stuff (at least conceptually). The most noteworthy thing is the return of Danielle Moonstar in some questionable team and outfit choices.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I guess it all depends on your definition of what's important or not.

Fraction's run is highly criticized but it was the flagship title and set the status-quo for the X-Men at the time - the Utopia era, which led into Schism and AvX, etc.

Carey's work is beloved by many fans but other than the pre-Messiah Complex team it's all character focused work, and a lot of it has been forgotten.

So...

I'm in the middle of that now. So far, I like the New Mutant reunion stuff (at least conceptually). The most noteworthy thing is the return of Danielle Moonstar in some questionable team and outfit choices.
    Yeah, that gets explained, but not by Loeb. He basically pretends that none of that happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    Everything about IvX is skippable. There's no way a story like that should have even hit print. The big bad was a cloud and Storm was the definitive leader of the X-men. The blatant disrespect to the X-men, Storm specifically, is almost too much to stomach.
    It's okay. The Inhumans tv show/IMAX is already bombing. No one will remember them soon enough.

It's obvious IvX and AvX are just Marvel shitting on the X-Men because of the movie license.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Yeah, that gets explained, but not by Loeb. He basically pretends that none of that happened.
    Nevermind, I got confused. I'm still in Nicieza. Definitely happy to skip Loeb.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

1963-1974, 1991-today

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    1963-1974, 1991-today
    lol, that's the true true!

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    1963-1974, 1991-today
    Haha

I call BS.

That's some cynical s@&$