View Poll Results: Have The Inhumans Failed Now?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

339 75.33%
  • Too Early To Say

46 10.22%
  • No

65 14.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can We Admit That The Inhumans Have Failed Now?

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate from Inhumans fans but I think it is an elephant in the room that needs to be addressed.

Many have said that the Inhumans need time to flourish so that they can become popular characters but from what I'm seeing they're failing in both the comics and on-screen.

Let's start with the comics. Out of all the Inhuman titles out there only one of them is selling above 20K an issue while the others all do below. That of course is Ms Marvel whose series isn't entirely about her being an Inhuman. The other series all about the Inhumans are low sellers, I was even surprised to see that Secret Warriors really took a nose dive in sales. They've even had a few other characters who had their own series like Mosaic and Kid Kaiju that were both laughably bad selling wise.

Going onto their onscreen presence. Their reception in Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D haven't really gone down all that well and their own TV show that premiered in IMAX is being given the big thumbs down by critics and numerous fans. If it gets low ratings on TV (which I predict that it will) the series will be cancelled before a second season can be ordered.

From the information I am seeing I can't see how the Inhumans will be continued to be pushed when both readers and viewers are shying away from them.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

BANNED

If they were not used in AoS and actually got a movie it might have worked.

They could have created a show called Inhuman and it could have been like X-men, while the movie was about the royals.

The screwing over of the Xmen also helped ruin them, Inhuman wasn't a bad book at all but then they tried to kill the x-men.

That's the thing with the Inhumans for me as well. For around ten years I didn't mind them, I didn't really take much notice of them but it would be fun when they popped up. However when Marvel tried to replace the mutants with Inhumans that's when I took issue.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Failure is an understatement.

I can not talk about the TV series since did not watch it and do not even know if it has already premiered.

However regarding comics marvel is playing thinking long term. Even if at the moment they are not selling as well as they would like as long as Fox has the rights to movies and marvel continues to promote the Inhumans in cartoons and other media while the X-mens will not the new generation will know more the Inhumans.

Inhumans are not the only ones that marvel tries to promote even though sales are not well at the moment because they are betting on the future.

Regardless of the results the Inhumans are more famous than they were a few years ago.

Moreover, a success is enough to turn the game and someone willing to invest, as well as if the situation of Fox and Marvel change that will have an impact on comics alike.

BANNED

I have to admit, Synapse is kinda growing on me (damn that sweet costume). But overall, they need to stick to being what they've been best at being - not a replacement for the mutants. Unfortunately, due to movie rights issues they're all Marvel has to work with. I hate it but I understand it. I wish they could just say, damn the movie right, but as long as Perlmutter is around the pettiness will never end.

I haven't seen it I'll give it a watch on TV but all reviews even comic people reviews have been it's bad. I think a telling thing is many reviews I've seen said Maximus came off more like the protagonist than the actual ones that they agreed with his stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I have to admit, Synapse is kinda growing on me (damn that sweet costume). But overall, they need to stick to being what they've been best at being - not a replacement for the mutants. Unfortunately, due to movie rights issues they're all Marvel has to work with. I hate it but I understand it. I wish they could just say, damn the movie right, but as long as Perlmutter is around the pettiness will never end.
    I have to agree. The Inhumans work best as a strange, alien culture on the fringes of the MU in my opinion. The whole big push to make them more 'Superhero' like has taken away some of their unique nature. That said, the biggest mistake Marvel has made with them is forcing them into a stupid race-war with the mutants. "Hay, I know how to make the Inhumans more popular... have them nearly cause the genocide of the mutants and fight the X-Men! I am sure that will get more people to like them..." I mean really, what was the point of that? It did not help either that, to me at least, it was clear that X-Men where in the right despite the repeated and odd attempts to show then as the villains... but that bit could just be me!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    I'd say they're more suited to their current status in Mavel comics, few team titles, few solo titles, mostly off to the side doing their own stuff. Making the Inhumans central Avenger-esque heroes was a mistake but giving the Inhumans a more global presence and their own books to explore their mythology has been a good move.
    Oh I agree. Royals has been a brilliant book so far (Al is perfect for this type of series) and they do deserve their own books to explore their fascinating mythology. I just think that making them akin to a 'normal' superhero team and making them go to war with the X-Men was a mistake deserving of a slap in the face with a wet fish.
    Last edited by Valamist; 09-04-2017 at 10:38 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    I like Synapse because they're not pushing the Inhuman thing she has powers just like the mutants, and Johnny and they all use them to help people. It's a non issue in that series and that's how it should be handled.

The show and movies will always suck because when it gets down to it people want to see super people using their powers, but that's expensive so hollywood tries to rely on the stories and conflicts, but those stories aren't THAT interesting when you might see someone using their powers for 2 mins in an hour. Whereas in the comics they use them ALL THE TIME.

Marvel half-asses their shows and to a certain extent the movies.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Judged by what standard? Judged by when they were limited to guest appearances in Hulk Annuals and the occasional miniseries? In that case, absolutely not. They are far more successful now than they were back then. Judged by the standards of Spider-Man? Of course. Somewhere in the middle like Moon Knight? I'd say no. Now whether they can support three true books (plus Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl) is a valid question, but there is no question they are still far more successful than they've ever been.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Failure is an understatement.
    Sadly, I must agree. It is a disaster.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Lesson for the day : Angry fans don't increase sales, angry X-Men fans don't increase sales either

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    If they were not used in AoS and actually got a movie it might have worked.

They could have created a show called Inhuman and it could have been like X-men, while the movie was about the royals.
    Exactly what I came here to say.

The Inhumans are too big of a concept to even try to tackle in a time and budget restricted format like a TV show, and do them any justice.

The blantant shoehorning that Marvel was doing with them in the comics aside, as soon as Marvel announced that they were scrapping plans for an Inhumans movie to do an Inhumans TV show instead, I knew they were doomed to fail.

Marvel should have stuck with their plans to do an Inhumans MOVIE and they would have almost had guaranteed success as a franchise, as hot as Marvel movies have been for the last 10 years. Big mistake on Marvel's/Disney's part. HUGE mistake.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 09-05-2017 at 09:17 AM.

BANNED

Yes, if the show is getting such bad reviews, I can't imagine lasting longer than a season. Maybe if it was on Netflix, it'd get another chance but network tv doesn't allow time for shows to grow into themselves (I believe Legion prob would've been cancelled has it been on Network tv). If they wanted an Inhuman show, they should've gone with Ms. Marvel and then introduce the Royals though her eventually.

Anyway, what really made me turn on the Inhumans was Inhuman fan reaction to IvX. I saw that as a family of elitists 1% against a group of suffering minorities, so when their fans kept trying to make the X-men the bad guys of the story, I just couldn't anymore. To me, that's like Trump fans who claim minorities defending themselves are the real bad guys and how paranoid all minorities are for watching their own backs. Glad the show failed. In the long run, that mattered more to the success of this franchise than the comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Exactly what I came here to say.

The Inhumans are too big of a concept to even try to tackle in a time and budget restricted format like a TV show, and do them any justice.

The blantant shoehorning that Marvel was doing with them in the comics aside, as soon as Marvel announced that they were scrapping plans for an Inhumans movie to do an Inhumans TV show instead, I knew they were doomed to fail.

Marvel should have stuck with their plans to do an Inhumans MOVIE and they would have almost had guaranteed success as a franchise, as hot as Marvel movies have been for the last 10 years. Big mistake on Marvel's/Disney's part. HUGE mistake.
    Problem is Feige is a HUGE comics fan, including the X-Men. So how do you think he reacted to the Inhumans to replace the X-Men? He was like Bye, Felicia.