View Poll Results: Have The Inhumans Failed Now?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

339 75.33%
  • Too Early To Say

46 10.22%
  • No

65 14.44%
Page 24 of 104 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Which is the only reason the X-Men aren't cancelled, but it's not like it will last forever. Eventually readers will drop off and Marvel will be justified in cancelling the x-titles. It's sad but that's how it's going to go unless something dramatic happens with the movie rights.
    Or if, you know, actual effort is put back into the book that is selling. The only one being hurt in this particular situation is Marvel Comics. The X-Men drop in sales and that is another book doing 20-30k among a DC dominated chart. Movie rights should not have any place in the comics, especially when you are not in a position to.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StephenFoxMonster View Post
    Or if, you know, actual effort is put back into the book that is selling. The only one being hurt in this particular situation is Marvel Comics. The X-Men drop in sales and that is another book doing 20-30k among a DC dominated chart. Movie rights should not have any place in the comics, especially when you are not in a position to.
    Actual effort into the x-books is against their long term interests, so I don't see it. They'll just hobble along their way until the sales completely dry up.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't buy that for a second and I never have. It's in Marvel's interests to make other properties do well, but it's not in their interests to have any book do poorly. Cancelling a book (so they don't have to pay for a creative team) makes sense. Torpedoing a book doesn't. I think the X-Books have some problems (although Cullen Bunn is usually pretty good). I'm just not sure it's intentional self-sabotage.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Spectacular Member

Marvel don't have the guts to completely cancel all the Xmen titles. Marvel may be clueless but they are not that dumb. They have no other choice but to continue feeding FOX with storyline ideas

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Atom View Post
    Marvel don't have the guts to completely cancel all the Xmen titles. Marvel may be clueless but they are not that dumb. They have no other choice but to continue feeding FOX with storyline ideas
    Would things get better if FOX and Marvel sat down and renegotiated their deal a little. Like say going forward new storylines or characters are off limits. Now if FOX created their own original material that's different. Maybe working together will fix things

Quote Originally Posted by Child of the Atom View Post
    Furthermore, the current trend actively undermines the claim since there are more books now for ResurrXion.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Actual effort into the x-books is against their long term interests, so I don't see it. They'll just hobble along their way until the sales completely dry up.
    I want to know what this long term plan is, because it is not making sense to me but it is being used a lot. Put no effort into the X-Men and then do what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I don't buy that for a second and I never have. It's in Marvel's interests to make other properties do well, but it's not in their interests to have any book do poorly. Cancelling a book (so they don't have to pay for a creative team) makes sense. Torpedoing a book doesn't. I think the X-Books have some problems (although Cullen Bunn is usually pretty good). I'm just not sure it's intentional self-sabotage.
    except we already have a marvel writer on the boards confirming this to be the case. at some point, it's not about what you believe ..

take ff for example. marvel writer redjack says johnny, ben, doom can all be used wherever in the comics. it's just that a FF book is not possible right now. why is that? they have murkey movie rights and marvel don't want to waste time on them. they also happen to be in a situation where they can get rid of the book itself and who is going to say anything? the ff audiences are not as strong as say the x-men audiences. who are in the exact same boat, but have larger numbers and deeper pockets.

this isn't about belief anymore. you have staff telling you this is the world we must operate in.

Astonishing Member Ianbarreilles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Furthermore, the current trend actively undermines the claim since there are more books now for ResurrXion.
    They also had quite a significant role in secret empire.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by khrisdrummond View Post
    Would things get better if FOX and Marvel sat down and renegotiated their deal a little. Like say going forward new storylines or characters are off limits. Now if FOX created their own original material that's different. Maybe working together will fix things
    They are also already working together, The 3 Xmen shows. They also negotiated the Negesonic/ Ego the living Planet thing. FOX has decades worth of storlines to use, but they will want more storyline ideas for many years to come. Marvel will reluctantly grant them their wish for more stories. They have no choice.

I think what killed the X-Men is Jason Aaron, Cullen Bunn, Kieron Gillen, Jeff Lemire collectively putting out a colossal ball of X-crement in the ANAD titles.

I was getting back into X-Men just before ANAD started, and now I can't stand any of the books besides maybe Old Man Logan. And all the Deadpool limited series all feels very forced and contains little substance.

I thought people liked Uncanny X-Men during that time and, while I know a lot of people disliked All-New because they didn't like the O5, I know a ton of people (such as Jay Ediden and Miles Stokes) who were huge fans of it.

I think the X-Men were put in a bad position in favor of The Inhumans, but that was when the latter was aiming for a movie, now they have a show with very bad reviews while the X-Men are getting a new direction in comics, more faithful to what the comics used to be. I haven't checked out any title besides Astonishing X-Men, which I found pretty good, and I have hear good things of Blue and relatively good things of Gold, that a lot of times is blamed of using nostalgia to it's favor excessively. I wouldn't say Marvel is sabotaging the X-Men, at least not anymore, they have a lot of titles, even one of Cable, who is going to appear in the next Deadpool movie. Even then, what I guess Marvel was doing was to downplay the X-Men so they could work as a push to the Inhumans, but they were not trying to erase the X-Men or something like that from their comics, I don't see any profit there. If FOX released an X-Men movie and it does well in the box office, some small part of the vast public who watches movies will be interested to check the comics, if Marvel doesn't have anything from the X-Men in stands it's them the ones who are losing money. The only thing Marvel did was making sure that the characters they can make films about have a better spot. What they were trying to do with the Inhumans is not that different from what they did with the Avengers

BANNED

Deadpool is an X-property Marvel has no issues pushing and is making no effort to downplay or erase. Despite the profits going largely to Fox.

No, all this talk of Star Wars and GOTG and everything else is a silly red herring people want to pursue so they can refuse the easiest explanation. This is Occam's Razor territory if ever there was: The X-men are being downplayed, erased, and marginalized and there is a range of evidence to support that this is top-down driven by Marvel. The Inhumans are being elevated in the Marvel Universe simultaneously and there is evidence to support that this is also purposeful and top-down driven. If Marvel doesn't care about the profits with Deadpool, why are they doing this with the X-men? The simplest explanation is that Deadpool is so unique he can't be replaced. Whereas the bigwigs at Marvel thought they had a possible replacement for the X-men.

Personally, I think the failure of that thinking was obvious before they tried. The results don't shock me at all. If the Inhumans are going to be elevated I hope it happens naturally with good story-telling, not by forcing it on everyone to fill an imagined (or self-created) void.

Fantastic Member

Well I think the attempt to displace the X-Men in favor of The Inhumans has somewhat been abandoned. I think once Feige got rid of Perlmutter, it was just a matter of time. And now with Perlmutter's piss poor Inhumans TV project, I think he's probably the only one left that thinks The Inhumans are ever gonna be more than C-List (at best), present company excluded.

But the damage is done, IMO. I think by IvX, things between the studios began thawing (personally, I think the Quicksilver situation back in 2013/2014 was were the pettiness reached it's zenith). Unfortunately, IvX was the like the death throes of Perlmutter's ambition for the Inhumans. You can tell by how it was written. It was clearly an attempt to make the Inhumans look good at the expense of the X-Men, but when it wasn't working, they turned heel and we got that bonkers of an ending...that made them look even worse. Death of Cyclops, character assassination of Emma Frost and the final panel of BB and Medusa at a fucking bar flirting it up (with a piece of Emma, possibly, laying at the bar). And that was supposed to win over audiences? Even readers who had no dog in the fight thought the Inhumans were the villains.

So if X-Fans want to gloat about how this Inhumans experiment seems to be derailing, I say go for it. IvX proved, at least to me, that The Inhumans had the full backing of editorial, and they still fucked it up for them. It would be different if editorial just told the story and let the cards fall how they may, but they didn't. They actively tried to make The Inhumans the hero at the expense of the X-Men, only for it to go sideways.