View Poll Results: Have The Inhumans Failed Now?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

339 75.33%
  • Too Early To Say

46 10.22%
  • No

65 14.44%
Page 74 of 104 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1546
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

The show isn't written as an X-Men show at all. It draws on the idea of Inhumans separating themselves because they're worried the world would fear them, but that's been true of the Inhumans since their first Fantastic Four appearance. I can't imagine anyone would see the show and think that's the problem with it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

It would be truthful to say that in the era that Inhumans and X-Men were originally created (within 2 years or so of each other), they were striving to break the mold of traditional/other company heroes, and so the themes of alienation from society were what set them apart, both from DC/other companies, and from what Marvel was already doing with Avengers, FF and more traditional type heroes; Iron Man, etc.

The main difference with the X-Men however is that they are born the way they are. Inhumans have a choice, and I think that is the central disconnect. So you can't exactly preach the same kind of message or tell the same kind of story.

It's not even an X-Men vs Inhumans thing, it's more of a from where you are pitching the story ideal from.

Inhumans have a choice to partake in a ritual that makes them such. X-Men are more or less born the way they are and have no choice in the matter. I think that's a very big difference.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    The main difference with the X-Men however is that they are born the way they are. Inhumans have a choice, and I think that is the central disconnect. So you can't exactly preach the same kind of message or tell the same kind of story.
    The big difference I see is that most mutants have no idea they are mutants for the first dozen or so years of their life. Exceptions exist that are obviously mutants from birth (Nightcrawler, Madrox, etc.) but nine out of ten mutants have normal childhoods, until, bam, unasked for mutation on top of unasked for pimples and hair in new places. And then there's massive societal rejection, and often family rejection as well.

For Inhumans, prior to this NuHumans business, they were born into a city full of Inhumans, all different and with their differences being celebrated. They go into puberty eagerly awaiting their chance at the genetic lottery of Terrigenesis (and / or dreading getting a less wonderful transformation...), and when they step/float/slither out of the Terrigenesis chamber, it's to join a community of adults who've all been through the same thing, welcoming them to this society.

Before the NuHumans, the situation with suddenly becoming a mutant, and possibly losing all of your friends, family, getting kicked out of your school or church, etc., etc., and stepping out of the mist to become an accepted adult in a community of other Inhumans, is night and day.

NuHumans are indeed quite the mutant metaphor, and I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea, even if it allows for a much more diverse Inhuman community, since the Inhumans were originally all-white-Europeans. Thanks to both new Inhuman cities, and great numbers of people with Inhuman genes scattered throughout humanity, newer Inhuman/NuHuman characters can be black, Asian, Latino, etc. and have different cultural backstories than 'grew up in a hidden magic city full of super-people, waiting to become a super-people, like my parents and their parents, etc.' IMO, the utter same-ness of every single Inhuman from Attilan was probably the biggest problem with them ever really succeeding as a wider property.

And so, the entire point of the Inhumans has been sacrificed on this altar, making them more like mutants with the NuHumans, which, IMO, does neither mutantkind nor the Inhumans any favors.

It's like saying that chocolate is the most successful flavor, so every other flavor must now have chocolate mixed into it (or Wolverine is the most popular X-character, so every X-team has to have a Wolverine on it... Oh wait, that's a bad example...).

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Just to be as much of a pain in the ass as the haters in this thread were a few weeks ago; all the trailers are calling it the season finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Just to be as much of a pain in the ass as the haters in this thread were a few weeks ago; all the trailers are calling it the season finale.
    Really doesn't mean anything. This show isn't coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Really doesn't mean anything.
    That was kinda the point back then too, but "oh, its on a poster tho"

I wouldn't write the show off tho, at the very least Marvel may force renew it to show in season 2 the show can be successful and well recieved if they actually hired talented people and not Scott Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The big difference I see is that most mutants have no idea they are mutants for the first dozen or so years of their life. Exceptions exist that are obviously mutants from birth (Nightcrawler, Madrox, etc.) but nine out of ten mutants have normal childhoods, until, bam, unasked for mutation on top of unasked for pimples and hair in new places. And then there's massive societal rejection, and often family rejection as well.

For Inhumans, prior to this NuHumans business, they were born into a city full of Inhumans, all different and with their differences being celebrated. They go into puberty eagerly awaiting their chance at the genetic lottery of Terrigenesis (and / or dreading getting a less wonderful transformation...), and when they step/float/slither out of the Terrigenesis chamber, it's to join a community of adults who've all been through the same thing, welcoming them to this society.

Before the NuHumans, the situation with suddenly becoming a mutant, and possibly losing all of your friends, family, getting kicked out of your school or church, etc., etc., and stepping out of the mist to become an accepted adult in a community of other Inhumans, is night and day.

NuHumans are indeed quite the mutant metaphor, and I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea, even if it allows for a much more diverse Inhuman community, since the Inhumans were originally all-white-Europeans. Thanks to both new Inhuman cities, and great numbers of people with Inhuman genes scattered throughout humanity, newer Inhuman/NuHuman characters can be black, Asian, Latino, etc. and have different cultural backstories than 'grew up in a hidden magic city full of super-people, waiting to become a super-people, like my parents and their parents, etc.' IMO, the utter same-ness of every single Inhuman from Attilan was probably the biggest problem with them ever really succeeding as a wider property.

And so, the entire point of the Inhumans has been sacrificed on this altar, making them more like mutants with the NuHumans, which, IMO, does neither mutantkind nor the Inhumans any favors.

It's like saying that chocolate is the most successful flavor, so every other flavor must now have chocolate mixed into it (or Wolverine is the most popular X-character, so every X-team has to have a Wolverine on it... Oh wait, that's a bad example...).

Yes!!!!! Agree 100%

That was kinda the point back then too, but "oh, its on a poster tho"

I wouldn't write the show off tho, at the very least Marvel may force renew it to show in season 2 the show can be successful and well recieved if they actually hired talented people and not Scott Buck.
    One it's not up to Marvel to renew it's up to ABC and Disney and quite frankly this show has been an embarrassment for all why keep it? Feige wouldn't talk about instead laughing and telling the person he couldn't hear them, IMAX is saying it was a mistake and cost them money, critics have savaged it, and the audience hasn't been much kinder. This isn't AoS which came off a it's best season and this season will give it it's needed episode count for syndication and you understand why Disney would save it. Marvel has plenty of shows with Netflix, Runaways, Clock and Dagger, and the Squirrel Girl/New Warriors show there is no reason to save this. If Marvel wants to go forward with the Inhumans best thing to do is flush this turd and move on with something involving the NuHumans. Do Ms. Marvel or a Secret Warriors show after AoS eventually ends or something.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The IMAX screenings made more than most TV shows in IMAX (1.6 in the US, 2.6 worldwide). I'm shocked that they managed to lose 11 million. Did they really expect this thing to make 12+ million? No movie made 12 million in the box office that weekend. Hell, it led the box office in per screen average so I don't think anything else out that weekend would have made them more.

Granted, they originally planned to air it two weeks until they switched for It, which, even if Inhumans was doing well, would still have been the smarter move (there's no way they possibly thought it would make It money). I just can't possibly believe their expectations were high enough for this to have been profitable if they invested that much.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    The IMAX screenings made more than most TV shows in IMAX (1.6 in the US, 2.6 worldwide). I'm shocked that they managed to lose 11 million. Did they really expect this thing to make 12+ million? No movie made 12 million in the box office that weekend. Hell, it led the box office in per screen average so I don't think anything else out that weekend would have made them more.

Granted, they originally planned to air it two weeks until they switched for It, which, even if Inhumans was doing well, would still have been the smarter move (there's no way they possibly thought it would make It money). I just can't possibly believe their expectations were high enough for this to have been profitable if they invested that much.
    They pretty much admitted in the article that they thought it would do gangbusters because it has a Marvel logo over the title, and that people would automatically go see anything with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    One it's not up to Marvel to renew it's up to ABC and Disney and quite frankly this show has been an embarrassment for all why keep it? Feige wouldn't talk about instead laughing and telling the person he couldn't hear them, IMAX is saying it was a mistake and cost them money, critics have savaged it, and the audience hasn't been much kinder. This isn't AoS which came off a it's best season and this season will give it it's needed episode count for syndication and you understand why Disney would save it. Marvel has plenty of shows with Netflix, Runaways, Clock and Dagger, and the Squirrel Girl/New Warriors show there is no reason to save this. If Marvel wants to go forward with the Inhumans best thing to do is flush this turd and move on with something involving the NuHumans. Do Ms. Marvel or a Secret Warriors show after AoS eventually ends or something.
    Because Disney wants to bring shows in-house and majority of the MCU tv content on atm isn't in-house. It's on other netflix, as opposed to whats on ABC which is directly owned by Disney.

It isn't a difficult show to save, the criticism of the show has been unilaterally the same key points. The only battle would be getting people to give it a second chance, but given how Disney and Marvel want to expand their own-owned content, it seems completely plausible they'd save it and give it the resources to succeed.

Well, at least to one site about tv shows, Inhumans is a televisive failure:

Let’s not sugar coat it: Inhumans is a failure. It’s a failure creatively, it’s a failure in ratings (in an admittedly difficult Friday night slot), and unlike Iron Fist, the previous effort from Inhumans‘ showrunner Scott Buck, Inhumans doesn’t even take advantage of its connection to Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to help prop it up like Iron Fist does The Defenders – at least, it hasn’t yet. The Marvel Studios films have had some underwhelming efforts relative to their massive and beloved hits, but none have been the epic disaster the Marvel Television division now has on its hands, which is even worse than Iron Fist.
    Source.

As a comic, however still can be recover, the inversion is less expensive. But seems like after the show,the inhumans will be avoided in the forseen future, specially in the MCU.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Because Disney wants to bring shows in-house and majority of the MCU tv content on atm isn't in-house. It's on other netflix, as opposed to whats on ABC which is directly owned by Disney.

It isn't a difficult show to save, the criticism of the show has been unilaterally the same key points. The only battle would be getting people to give it a second chance, but given how Disney and Marvel want to expand their own-owned content, it seems completely plausible they'd save it and give it the resources to succeed.
    Except Marvel has tons of other characters they could focus on who aren't tainted like Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Blade, some of the UK heroes, or even Nuhumans like Ms. Marvel, Inferno and Others perhaps with Quake or Yo-Yo in a Secret Warriors series, a Moon Girl Series. Marvel has a gold mine of characters to use so again why continue?
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 10-29-2017 at 12:27 PM.