View Poll Results: Have The Inhumans Failed Now?

Voters
450. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

339 75.33%
  • Too Early To Say

46 10.22%
  • No

65 14.44%
Page 85 of 104 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 1546
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Maybe staring the rest of the next generation House of Agon as well.
    Isn't that just Ahura? Max hasn't had any kid so that leaves only Blackagar's spawn.

Perhaps when people say "unrelatable" they actually mean "unsympathetic."

Granted, it's still possible to tell interesting stories with unsympathetic characters if you know how. (The main cast of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" are pretty terrible, but it's a comedy and their shenanigans usually always backfire on them.) Marvel (imo) should have instead leaned into the more less than noble aspects of royalty and politics instead of trying to cast them into the "persecuted superhero" archetype ala the X-Men. Perhaps, something more along the lines of Namor the Submariner. A character who is just as often the villain of a story as he is the hero.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Perhaps, something more along the lines of Namor the Submariner. A character who is just as often the villain of a story as he is the hero.
    It's not like Namor is selling 100,000 units every month.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    It's not like Namor is selling 100,000 units every month.
    It's amazing how you managed to completely miss the point.

Granted, it's still possible to tell interesting stories with unsympathetic characters if you know how. (The main cast of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" are pretty terrible, but it's a comedy and their shenanigans usually always backfire on them.) Marvel (imo) should have instead leaned into the more less than noble aspects of royalty and politics instead of trying to cast them into the "persecuted superhero" archetype ala the X-Men. Perhaps, something more along the lines of Namor the Submariner. A character who is just as often the villain of a story as he is the hero.
    Yep. Namor works when he is presented as an ambivalent character, worried about his people but fighting for them, either an ally or an villian. . But is kind of ironic how Marvel has put them with the X-Men, as the first mutant, when he is technically an hybrid.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

As featured guest stars they were often sympathetic. The whole Johnny/Crystal romance story is nothing less than a Marvel version of Romeo and Juliet. Medusa as reluctant, amnesiac villain was sympathetic, in those beginning years.

When they started expanding them into their series, back in the '70s, they tied them more into their Kree backstory and some of those stories had less to do with the individual characters.

I don't relate to them because I'm sympathetic. I relate to them because they are so unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    As featured guest stars they were often sympathetic. The whole Johnny/Crystal romance story is nothing less than a Marvel version of Romeo and Juliet. Medusa as reluctant, amnesiac villain was sympathetic, in those beginning years.
    Sure, the kids were sympathetic, but the Montagues and Capulets were not. It was their ridiculous feud that was causing Verona all sorts of trouble!

The Royal family (generally) has all the wealth and power in their society. Instead of trying to play them like persecuted underdog superheroes they should play them more like the cast of "Dynasty."

I suppose they could be meaning "unsympathetic", that would at least make more sense in the context of what they are commenting on. I have always liked stoic, regal, aloof and somewhat unpredictable characters, which was something that immediately drew me to the Inhumans. And I think you are right, being unsympathetic (even though I still find the Royals to be sympathetic in a lot of cases) can work in a characters favor if presented correctly by the creators.

Sure, the kids were sympathetic, but the Montagues and Capulets were not. It was their ridiculous feud that was causing Verona all sorts of trouble!

The Royal family (generally) has all the wealth and power in their society. Instead of trying to play them like persecuted underdog superheroes they should play them more like the cast of "Dynasty."
    Britain's most popular comics character is Judge Dredd. He's about as sympathetic as strychnine.

Looking outside the world of comics, one of the characters in GRRM's work with the most fanatic fanbase is Stannis. He's a socially incompetent and emotionally isolated surly figure of resentment, who is prepared to have criminals burned alive in the name of a God he doesn't even believe in, because he thinks that God's priestess has power. Hell, I love him myself. (He's even less sympathetic in the show, but we're not at that point in the books yet.)

So yeah, being sympathetic is hardly a pre-condition for popularity, and I'd be interested in an unsympathetic portrayal of the Royal family. An intentionally unsympathetic one, anyway, not just because of a terrible event like IvX

Well, since the INhumans are replacing Mutants meme and the various comics and arcs that told the tale, these guys are pretty unsympatico. But that is not important to the story, maybe.

Remember Thunderbolts were disguised as heros but were evil-doers. Eventually the plot had things change and it was rather refreshing. I'm talking about the original series.

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Britain's most popular comics character is Judge Dredd. He's about as sympathetic as strychnine.

Looking outside the world of comics, one of the characters in GRRM's work with the most fanatic fanbase is Stannis. He's a socially incompetent and emotionally isolated surly figure of resentment, who is prepared to have criminals burned alive in the name of a God he doesn't even believe in, because he thinks that God's priestess has power. Hell, I love him myself. (He's even less sympathetic in the show, but we're not at that point in the books yet.)

So yeah, being sympathetic is hardly a pre-condition for popularity, and I'd be interested in an unsympathetic portrayal of the Royal family. An intentionally unsympathetic one, anyway, not just because of a terrible event like IvX
    Actually I'd say that Britain's Favourite Comic Character is Dennis the Menace and I don't mean the kid with the Yellow Hair.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post

I do love Stannis the Mannis as I do the royal inhumans regardless of whether or not they are unsympathetic/not relatable to some folks. I find them fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    Actually I'd say that Britain's Favourite Comic Character is Dennis the Menace and I don't mean the kid with the Yellow Hair.
    You may be right. I remember having a Gnasher badge some 35 or so years ago

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    Isn't that just Ahura? Max hasn't had any kid so that leaves only Blackagar's spawn.
    Well house of Agon is the current (former?) Royal Family Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Gorgon, Karnak, Triton, Maximus, and Lockjaw. So it would be any of their kids.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    I definitely prefer him over Judge Dredd. Hell, most weeks I still get the comic. LOL the other day, whilst I was in Chicago my wife bought me the Dandy annual which I haven't read for YEARS!