Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Default Your First Comic(s)?

Especially the first ones gifted to you by other people?

Batman #493 "Red Slash", in the middle of the Knightfall arc.

Uncanny X-men 175 "Phoenix" by Clermont just as a fluke at a garage sale. The family let me keep it no charge.

Astonishing X-Men #4 - Holocaust! by Lobdell. Really confusing if you only watched the cartoons.
    This was pre-Amazon when I was in grade school. No comic shops within driving distance of my home.

Mindblowing for the fact I had only seen the character in cartoons, the Keaton movie and Adam West. It felt like I was looking in on a strange new planet. I never got to read comics for another 15-ish years. Who here bought their first books at a drug store?
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Hard to be exactly sure (age still in single digits at the time), but maybe this one or at least one from this series.

ETA: frelling greedy photobucket basterds.
    Last edited by Carabas; 02-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

It was FF #188. Slick art by Perez and a cool story. I traded for it through my local library years after it had been sold. They had a big box of comics where you could trade one comic for one comic. A friend gave me one of his comics to get it. I thought the cover looked cool and got it.

My favorite memory of my childhood though in regards to comics was when my dad gave me my brothers collection of comics. My brother would read a comic, then stack them up in large piles in his closet on the floor and never read them again. He had giant stacks of comics from Marvel and DC. It was like Christmas morning when my dad gave them to me. I couldn't believe it.

The collection was huge and had various issues, but the main bulk of it included these comics-- the full run of Miller's DD #160-191, Uncanny X-Men #112-142, FF #208-250, Amazing Spider-Man #222-236, Avengers #100-160, Captain America #180-215, Iron Man #118-132, LOSH #280-300.

I'll never forget sitting down and sifting through them all. As you can see, these comics really influenced me on what I would eventually grow up enjoying.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Bone was technically the first comic I fully remember reading, but the one that got me into comics was Marvel's Civil War.

My first comic was Thunderbolts #1, back in 1997. My sister (who read X-men) said she'd heard about a new comic with a killer twist, and thought I'd like it (I had glanced through her X-men comics for Storm, but never properly sat down and read them). I adored it, and to this day it remains my favourite team; with Moonstone my favourite character (with Zemo 4th and Songbird 8th, in my personal "Top 10"). BEST. GIFT. EVER!!!

"We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    Who here bought their first books at a drug store?
    I don't remember what my first comics was, that's like Blanche on Golden Girls trying to remember who her first was but yeah they were from drugstores and grocery stores.

Probably Superman but I can remember everything from Doom Patrol in Showcase Comics to Richie Rich being at my grandma's. She lived with in walking distance of a drugstore and icecream parlor so those were our regular stops visiting her.

Got it from the local Wal-Mart, way before all Wal-Marts become super centers that stayed open 24 hours a day. My mom got it for me.

My brother and I bought this one off the stands. We were casual comic readers during the 60s.

But this is the one that made me an avid comic reader and collector.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

my first comics were some old Batman books I got at a flea marklet, sadly i no longer have them.

Boisterously Confused

The first one that I remember was a copy of King Sized Avengers #2 that one of my brothers owned.
    index.jpg

The first comic that I owned for myself was DC's World's Greatest Superheroes #6, which is where I decided that Johnny Quick seemed way cooler than the Flash. He just seemed to be having more fun.
    images2.jpg

This needs to be resurrected!

My first was X-files from a used store for $1

xfiles.jpg

My first comics weren't purchased by me. A friend had a huge collection of Hindi (a major language in India) comics. I remember reading two of them to begin with.

(Nagraj, Venomous)

(Super Commando Dhruva, Jigsaw)

My first English comics were.

Man of Steel #1.

and

Kingdom Come #4.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-07-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    Who here bought their first books at a drug store?
    I'm from the "All in color for a dime!" era, and so I bought (or my parents bought) all my comics at drug stores or grocery stores.

Porky Pig, Casper, Stumbo the Giant, Little Hot Stuff, and Donald Duck are the first ones I remember. The first superhero type comics I remember are Batman, Superman, and Space Ranger.
    Haven't a clue as to what the issue numbers were and most likely they all ended up in the incinerator.

The first comics I remember reading were the Sunday funnies with my dad. We also had some paperback collections of Peanuts, Hagar the Horrible and Beetle Bailey around the house I would read through.

I think this was one of them (or something like it) from Tempo Books

The first comics I read were a handful of Gold Key comics based on Saturday morning cartoons that were given to me while I was very young from people in my parent's Sunday night bowling league, so I could read and be occupied on Sunday nights while they bowled and not disturb them. The first I remember getting off a spinner rack at the drug store was Batman #250 just before I turned 4.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato