Page 160 of 209 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3131
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Since the first game where the Jaguars crushed Pit... Bortles has gone for 2534 yards 11 td's and 9 pics. Ben has gone for 3152 yards 24 td's and 7 pics.. I'm not counting the Jags out, but Bortles is going to have to throw the ball to win. Temps are gonna be around mid 20's, not 77 like the last time they played. Thats a huge advantage to the Steelers.
    Yeah, Bortles needs to dig deep for a Roethlisberger type outing. With a Jags D playing their A-game, he may only need 21-24 pts. But the weather should be a big advantage to Pitts. If I were the Jags, I'd rent a field up north for some practice days.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'm starting to think that concussion protocol needs to be reviewed and enforced by a neutral party, not the individual teams.
    Not gonna happen.

The NFL has been banning personal trainers and doctors from the field and even during practices all season long.

They don't want people to learn how prevalent concussions are.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Not especially, maybe a grading system where if you're consistently bad enough you start incurring penalties or required training before you can officiate again or something, but I wonder if Jeff Triplette's retiring might not be a bit forced because those two forward progress calls he made that wiped out both Mariotta's fumbles might be the worst calls I've ever seen in the history of the game, and they absolutely decided a playoff game
    Ed Hochuli: 67
    Pete Morelli: 66
    Walt Anderson: 66
    Jerome Boger: 62
    Walt Coleman: 65

The list goes on and on. I have a hard time believing these guys can really keep up with the play, or their eye site is 20/20 when a lot of these guys are pushing 70.

They're almost certainly required to pass a physical for those issues, and lord knows Hochuli stays in better shape than men a third his age

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Not gonna happen.

The NFL has been banning personal trainers and doctors from the field and even during practices all season long.

They don't want people to learn how prevalent concussions are.
    I can understand those bannings from the standpoint that it can be a distraction - see Guerrero/Brady and Belichick.

What I am more talking about is preventing teams from circumventing the tiny concession made to prevent CTE - concussion protocol. We've seen this season that teams can't be trusted to follow it. I suspect we'll see changes in the offseason.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

What I am more talking about is preventing teams from circumventing the tiny concession made to prevent CTE - concussion protocol. We've seen this season that teams can't be trusted to follow it. I suspect we'll see changes in the offseason.
    If you follow the non-Patriot trainer banning, you'll see they coincide with a rash of concussions, banishment, then *poof* no more concussions suddenly. Take the Bills for instance. Their doc got banned for prescribing medical marijuana but only right after a rash of concussions. And then *poof* Bills became concussion proof. Same thing happened in Seattle and Carolina this season.

There's no way both Wilson and Newton weren't concussed this season ... I saw both of them get woozy and yak after 2 big hits this year. Seattle's second offense was so obvious they got nailed for it.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

There's no way both Wilson and Newton weren't concussed this season ... I saw both of them get woozy and yak after 2 big hits this year. Seattle's second offense was so obvious they got nailed for it.
    Yah I was thinking especially of Newton in that last game where the Panthers didn't even take him to the locker room. Maybe the refs can do it. If they see a guy who obviously just got hammered in the head, they can call him to the sidelines.

Hah, wow that would not be controversial at all.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yah I was thinking especially of Newton in that last game where the Panthers didn't even take him to the locker room. Maybe the refs can do it. If they see a guy who obviously just got hammered in the head, they can call him to the sidelines.

Hah, wow that would not be controversial at all.
    I'd be down with the refs but they'd need to add 2 more to the field for it to be done well (1 looking at OF, the other DEF). NFL already blocked the skybox and another new ref addition. I don't see them adding 2 for injuries.

IMHO, the NFL is beginning to enter the death-throes of the sport.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

If you follow the non-Patriot trainer banning, you'll see they coincide with a rash of concussions, banishment, then *poof* no more concussions suddenly. Take the Bills for instance. Their doc got banned for prescribing medical marijuana but only right after a rash of concussions. And then *poof* Bills became concussion proof. Same thing happened in Seattle and Carolina this season.

Let’s not leave the players blameless in this mess as they hold an equal share of responsibility when they lie, shout, scream and rage to go back on the field, even after having had their bell rung. What needs to be done when players get whacked like Wilson and Newton is that an independent observer needs to go on the field and order the player to surrender his helmet and keep it away from the player until he undergoes a thorough and complete examination, either in the tent or in the locker room. No helmet, no play.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Let’s not leave the players blameless in this mess as they hold an equal share of responsibility when they lie, shout, scream and rage to go back on the field, even after having had their bell rung. What needs to be done when players get whacked like Wilson and Newton is that an independent observer needs to go on the field and order the player to surrender his helmet and keep it away from the player until he undergoes a thorough and complete examination, either in the tent or in the locker room. No helmet, no play.
    While they bear part of the responsibility, the owners and NFL need to step up more than the players do.

I like your "no helmet, no play" idea.

Fantastic Member

I'm pretty certain (like 80% yes, 20% no) the Patriots should beat the Titans this Saturday. If they do, I should be attending my second AFC Championship game. The first AFC Championship game I attended was Deflate Gate!

Of course, if the Patriots lose I'll be highly disappointed. And then I'll be cheering on Pittsburgh of all teams.

Why would colder weather be advantageous for the Steelers? Wouldn't that make throwing the ball more difficult? Thus slowing their air attack down. Thus making it less likely a better QB decides the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Why would colder weather be advantageous for the Steelers? Wouldn't that make throwing the ball more difficult? Thus slowing their air attack down. Thus making it less likely a better QB decides the game.
    Seconded. Jacksonville would probably prefer a one-dimensional Steelers attack. I know Big Ben threw 5 INTs in their regular season matchup, but that's not exactly a statistic you'd expect to see repeated. Especially in January, and without Antonio Brown.

Expect Pittsburgh to look to Leveon Bell way more this time out.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Time for predictions:

AFC
    Patriots 23, Titans 17
    Steelers 21, Jaguars 13

NFC
    Eagles 23, Falcons 20
    Saints 30, Vikings 21
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Time for predictions:

AFC
    Patriots 23, Titans 17
    Steelers 21, Jaguars 13

NFC
    Eagles 23, Falcons 20
    Saints 30, Vikings 21
    Pretty reasonable predictions. You surprisingly see a bit of a game there with Pats/Tenn....I tend to more lean on thinking that if the score ends up close (Pats winning of course), it will be because of some garbage time-ish touchdown or field goal where the Pats think they have the game enough in hand and they try to save some effort and energy for the next round.

I probably more lean to maybe Pats 27, Tenn 17.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-10-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”