Page 162 of 209 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 3131

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The latest forecast I heard this morning is calling for temps around 40 at kickoff and going south during the game. Not exactly conditions ripe for the second coming of the Ice Bowl, but a day's worth of rain on Friday and into Saturday morning might, and I'm saying, might make the turf a tad dicey. As for the point spread, everyone knows a home team is usually good for three points right off the top, the six point swing the other way can directly be attributed to Nick Foles and his less than stellar three game performance since taking over for the injured Carson Wentz. Stevie Wonder could see Foles is the albatross that could doom the Birds if plays on Saturday like he had the last three weeks, that said, the defense will have to step it up big time to keep Matty Ice and his offense off the field while the Birds will have to place an emphasis on short drops in the pocket and a dedicated running attack to minimize any errors Foles might make.
    I still think the Eagles bumble through to the championship only to get iced by the Vikings (my pick) or the Saints (nearly everyone else's pick).
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia]Shyt. Now it's up to 3... Eagles gone be alright going forward but I think the ride may stop this weekend. IDK, Falcons did put it on the Rams 21/30 for 200+ yards out of Ryan against that defense was something. I'm riding with Philly but Foles has to be better than what Foles has ever been just to make this worthwhile and I'm not so confident in him like that BUT there is a weather factor that I think could keep Philly in it. I went 50% Wildcard weekend so I'll keep that high standard up.

ATL 34 Philly 35
    Sure hope it ends up that way. Foles is solid enough to not lose the game for Philly, but their defense concerns me. Will it be present or not? They may have to play better than they have played all season long to stop Julio Jones.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Maybe I havent been paying attention, but I am surprised that there hasn't been a bunch of Saban to NFL talk. That seems to be an annual thing.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    Maybe I havent been paying attention, but I am surprised that there hasn't been a bunch of Saban to NFL talk. That seems to be an annual thing.
    I don't know what to make of his lack of jumping back to the NFL. I wonder if he's a bit of a coward. You have more control as a college coach (and I think he's addicted to his level of control). Recruiting power can stack your deck, which it does for Bama. He has all these Belichick qualities but refuses to throw his hat back into the NFL ring. I can't help but he feel he's just playing things safe. Which he would have more plausible deniability to deny he plays it safe if he hadn't tried to move up to the NFL before.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-11-2018 at 02:14 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Yeah, an annual exercise in futility as I can’t imagine Saban returning to the NFL. At Alabama, Saban is more important than the damn governor and is almost as powerful. In the pros, he’d be nothing more than a disposable asset, forced to chafe under the thumb of a general manager, second guessed by the media, demonized by the fans, harangued daily on talk radio, especially in a cauldron like New York. Some college coaches can succeed in the pros and others can’t, I’d put Saban in the latter category.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-11-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Some college coaches can succeed in the pros and others can’t, I’d put Saban in the latter category.
    He went 9-7 and just narrowly missed the playoffs his first season with the Dolphins. 6-10 second season. I think he could win in the pros if he just took the leap again. But he won't.

I don't see it as a lack of ability. It's something else.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-11-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

He's got a cushy, winning gig in Bama. He's developed it well.

Why stop now?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    He went 9-7 and just narrowly missed the playoffs his first season with the Dolphins. 6-10 second season. I think he could win in the pros if he just took the leap again. But he won't.

I don't see it as a lack of ability. It's something else.
    Chip Kelly went 10-6 and made the playoffs in his first year with the Eagles, but was gone before his third ended. The league caught up to Kelly like it did Saban and it was downhill from there.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    He's got a cushy, winning gig in Bama. He's developed it well.

Why stop now?
    That's definitely what he's concluded. But with an NFL SB win or even a string of deep NFL playoff runs, he could transcend simply being regarded as one of the best college coaches ever. But he's opted for "nah" on that. Why stop what he's got secured already it seems.

Chip Kelly went 10-6 and made the playoffs in his first year with the Eagles, but was gone before his third ended. The league caught up to Kelly like it did Saban and it was downhill from there.
    Wasn't the owner more to blame for that one?

That's definitely what he's concluded. But with an NFL SB win or even a string of deep NFL playoff runs, he could transcend simply being regarded as one of the best college coaches ever. But he's opted for "nah" on that. Why stop what he's got secured already it seems.
    College coaches can have lifetime job security so long as they keep making one of the umpteen bowl games - championships aren't required.

NFL coaches only have job security so long as they keep winning, one or two down seasons and you might be ousted because the GM wants more power. How many coaches have been on a team for 10 years or more in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    College coaches can have lifetime job security so long as they keep making one of the umpteen bowl games - championships aren't required.

NFL coaches only have job security so long as they keep winning, one or two down seasons and you might be ousted because the GM wants more power. How many coaches have been on a team for 10 years or more in the NFL?
    Currently on the same team? Marvin Lewis, Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, & Mike Tomlin. And you have Darth Hoodie. Tom Coughlin was with the Giants from 2004-16. Andy Reid was on the Eagles from 1999-2012 and is now on the Chiefs. Harbaugh is coming up on 10 with the Ravens.

If you go back to the 90s, 80s, 70s ... you're gonna find longer runs with coaches. The rotating door has been more of a thing starting in the 80s and has progressively gotten worse.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-12-2018 at 11:53 AM.

There's different ways to express ambition. He has a shot at being definitively the best college coach ever. Is that being a big fish in a little pond? I guess thats one way of looking at it.

Who is a better coach - Bill Belichick or Bear Bryant?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Saban has basically said he'll stay at Alabama and likely never jump back to the NFL. He seemed to admit he works better with college kids and getting them ready. Its something that Harbaugh and Petrino both have as issues in a way as well. They are better with young college kids , than older grown men who don't wanna be spoke down to. Saban had that same issue with Miami , its why he went 6-10 that next season. Its why Harbaugh decided to go back to college football.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In NFL News...

- The Carolina Panthers have decided to sign Norv Turner and let him retool that Panthers offense. The team struggled offensively in 2017 and had Newton running the ball (he led the team in rushing) and had a trio of RB's and used a 1st rounder on a RB. Who never gained over 500 yards on the ground.

- Buffalo's GM Bill Beane has said the team will be looking at getting a franchise QB . Meaning the end is near for Tyrod Taylor. The Bills have 2 , 1st round draft picks and could make a push to trade up to draft a QB early. Beane seemed to admit the team should have looked at QB last year but he won't make that same mistake.

- The NFL will be investigating the Raiders for breaking the Rooney Rule. (Its clear they did , they telegraphed it too quick to go after Gruden and should have at least interviewed people..)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.