Page 206 of 209 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3131

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Has a quarterback ever caught a pass for a touchdown in a Super Bowl before? I don't remember anyone else doing that. I know several have scored as a running back, but none as a wide receiver.
    No, that was a first.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Going into this game if you told me the Patriots would lose I would have assumed all the questions would have been about Brady and how this impacts him and his legacy. Ironically, Brady's play has made him come out of a bad scenario relatively spotless. Belichick may have permanently dented his legacy. Defensive genius just fielded a team that couldn't force a stop and gave up 41 points while the whole world watched his Super Bowl hero starting corner back crying on the sidelines after being told he wouldn't be playing until right before the game.

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I don’t know if this means anything, but all three of Brady’s Super Bowl losses have been to NFC East teams (Giants twice and the Eagles). Interesting.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Collinsworth. I've always heard he was a huge homer for Brady and the Patriots but didn't really see it until yesterday. The play calling was disappointing and lackluster overall, I thought. Really miss having people in the booth who get excited over football just for football's sake. These guys probably need to both retire.
    God he was awful. I get questioning the first TD. Per the letter of the awful rule as its currently constructed, it shouldn't have counted. But the Ertz touchdown, he was a runner. Per the rule, that was a touchdown, the loss of possession in that case was completely negligible. Collinsworth was insisting that needed to be overturned too. Irritating as hell.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What I never would have guessed is Foles putting up 41 pts on that Pats. While one can credit Foles and offense some/plenty, that reflects so much on the Pats D as well.

I didn't make too much of certain controversial ref calls, but the Pats may have gotten robbed on one or two at least, most clearly the hail mary with clear obvious pass interference on Hogan that prevented him from even participating the end zone scrum.

http://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/20...lay-hail-mary/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-05-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I don’t know if this means anything, but all three of Brady’s Super Bowl losses have been to NFC East teams (Giants twice and the Eagles). Interesting.
    Yeah but he beat the Eagles once. I think the bigger thing is he lost to the three teams where his team was considered a massive favorite. Rams, Panthers, Eagles (the first time), Seahawks, and Falcons all were largely viewed as formidable opponents. The two Giants games and the Eagles games were supposed to be cake walks. Though to be honest Brady dropped 33 on the 4th ranked defense. This loss was more on Belichick.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    God he was awful. I get questioning the first TD. Per the letter of the awful rule as its currently constructed, it shouldn't have counted. But the Ertz touchdown, he was a runner. Per the rule, that was a touchdown, the loss of possession in that case was completely negligible. Collinsworth was insisting that needed to be overturned too. Irritating as hell.
    He loves to start shit. He literally started the whole controversy over not running Lynch in the Seattle game by screaming "I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THE CALL". He's a drama queen

All in all the rule needs to be simplified. Every time the refs go that booth to review TD's, when there's the slightest bit of movement, you just see them being completely lost and not knowing what to do. And I don't blame them, its a terribly constructed rule. Just go back to common sense. Especially on TD receptions while crossing the plane or Calvin Johnson-rules. Screw the fact of whether or not you're a runner. The second you cross that plane with the ball in your hands, you have scored. Screw it if on a reception in the endzone the ball slightly moves on the way down after touching two feet down inbounds. The play ends there, TD. Favor the athleticism and spirit of the game over these stupid technicalities that no one can get right with regularity anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    All in all the rule needs to be simplified. Every time the refs go that booth to review TD's, when there's the slightest bit of movement, you just see them being completely lost and not knowing what to do. And I don't blame them, its a terribly constructed rule. Just go back to common sense. Especially on TD receptions while crossing the plan. Screw the fact of whether or not you're a runner. Its needless technicality for the sake of technicality. The second you cross that plane with the ball in your hands, you have scored. Favor the athleticism and spirit of the game over these stupid technicalities that no one can get right with regularity anyway.
    It's really not needless. As much as the rules have been bent, football was created as and still is a game of running and ball advancement. It's pretty stupid to call something a TD in the endzone and then call it an incompletion in the middle of the field. Which is what your suggestion would do. A TD should still be hard, not easier for the sake of catches.

And nobody has come up with a solution that wouldn't hurt the game elsewhere.

There's exactly one solution. You can't review catches and the call on the field stands.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't know what's a greater mystery, the fate of Amelia Earhart, or why CB Malcolm Butler was benched (except for special teams)?

I hope the real answer comes out on that some day. Bill is saying nothing, except he claims it was not discplinary. But that could be a lie or half truth. He had the flu at one point, but did that play a primary role? WTF and why did Butler react the way he did?
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I don't know what's a greater mystery, the fate of Amelia Earhart, or why CB Malcolm Butler was benched (except for special teams)?

I hope the real answer comes out on that someday. Bill is saying nothing, except he claims it was not discplinary. But that could be a lie or half truth. He had the flu at one point, but did that play a primary role? WTF and why did Butler react the way he did?
    Talking heads on NFL Network are gabbing about the disappearance of Butler from the game even as I type. It’s a mystery to be sure, and since Darth Hoodie could give the KGB lessons on how to keep secrets, we may never know what happened.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

What I never would have guessed is Foles putting up 41 pts on that Pats. While one can credit Foles and offense some/plenty, that reflects so much on the Pats D as well.

I didn't make too much of certain controversial ref calls, but the Pats may have gotten robbed on one or two at least, most clearly the hail mary with clear obvious pass interference on Hogan that prevented him from even participating the end zone scrum.

With respect to Eagles fans on here, the Eagles were holding a fair amount during the game. They got called on some of the holds but not all. Hard to feel too bad for the Patriots because they were doing it, too, and never got called. The refs let the teams play, for the most part, like during an NBA finals game.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Brady left the pocket. You can cream anybody when that happens.

The out of bounds TD, Gronk's OPI on his TD, and the targeting on Cooks were the only questionable calls.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Deadspin has a great article up arguing why Jeff Fisher might be one of the worst coaches in the NFL.

It's not just that the Rams under-achieved for years, and the minute Fisher's gone they became a powerhouse team... it's the QBs he coached the past few years.

Jared Goff- One disastrous rookie year under Fisher, this season under McVay he looked like a worthy #1 overall pick.
    Case Keenum- Looked worse than pedestrian as the Rams QB under Fisher, this season with Minnesota, he takes over for Sam Bradford after one game, and leads the Vikings with their defense all the way to the NFC Championship game.
    Nick Foles- Went to the Rams in the Sam Bradford trade with Philly. Went from being a hot young risking star at QB to a train wreck with a 69.0 QB rating in 11 games. Barely gets to play the next season in KC (3 TD, 0 INT) and then takes over for Carson Wentz midway through this year and leads the Eagles to the Super Bowl.

Three other coaches have taken on Fisher's wasted opportunities and found success with them.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.