Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    The wait for this season has been long and arduous. I'm glad the wait is almost over. I am so ready for football to be back!

This season, everyone seems to be penciling in the Patriots for the Super Bowl. Everyone also seems to assume that the Cowboys will be as good as they were last year. If being a football fan for most of my life has taught me anything, it's that those kinds of assumptions rarely pan out, if ever. The NFL is always in flux. Good teams tank. Bad teams overachieve. Sometimes a team just comes out of nowhere and dominates. It's impossible to predict.

I'm going to try anyways. I think the most underrated move of the offseason was the Panthers drafting Christian McAfferty. I think that may very well be the move that puts the Panthers back on track. People forget that Newton was hurt in the first game last year and was never quite the same. He's healthy now and he has a new offensive weapon the likes of which teams aren't ready for. I think that will be the X-factor this year that puts the Panthers back on top.

I also think this is going to be the year the Steelers finally push through. Say what you will about the Patriots' offense, but they do not have a WR that's as good as Antonio Brown or an RB that's as good as Le'Veon Bell. If those guys can stay healthy and Big Ben can stay upright, I think they'll have what it takes to unseat the Patriots in crunch time.

The other team that definitely has a chance is the Giants. If the Panthers falter, I think the Giants will pick up the slack. They loaded up in the offseason. They're playing for a Super Bowl this year. Eli Manning has two rings and a better receiving corp. So long as OBJ can keep his head on straight, I think they'll leapfrog the Cowboys and be in a position to make it to Super Bowl LII.

Those are the three teams I'll be keeping an eye on, but chances are some other team will surprise everybody. That's just the way it goes in the NFL.
    If you picked NE to go to the Super Bowl every year the last 15 years, you'd be right almost 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I keep looking at the guys on New England's defense these days, and wonder how Belichek does it. Like, Donta Hightower is legit. Butler, Chung, and McCourty in the secondary? Yeah, those guys I believe in to not get gouged by any QB. But at this point, I don't know if they have a credible pash rush. I honestly don't know what smoke and mirrors Belichek is doing to stop other teams, because I'm not scared of any of these guys individually.

And yet, I drafted the Patriots' defense in fantasy, based solely on pedigree (and what was available).
    They just got Marsh from Seattle. Good player, pass rusher, but a penalty magnet. They also are building around their linebacker corps like Hightower. They give up yards but trade that for downs. You hardly ever see big plays against NE defenses over the last 15 years.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Saw this in the sports section of my local fishwrap, via SportsBettingDime.com:

TO WIN OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR

Leonard Fournette (Jaguars)...............9-2
    Christian McCaffrey (Panthers)............8-1
    Deshaun Watson (Texans)..................9-1
    Joe Mixon (Bengals)..........................10-1
    Dalvin Cook (Vikings)........................11-1
    Mitchell Trubisky (Bears)...................11-1
    Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs)...................15-1
    DeShone Kizer (Browns)....................20-1
    Evan Engram (Giants).......................25-1

My imaginary money is on McCaffrey winning the award as he'll team with Cam Newton to be quite the potent pairing in Carolina. I haven't seen anything of Fournette, but I've heard he's supposed to be good, meanwhile, other than maybe Watson, I don't think any of the QB's will get to really shine. As for Mixon, he could run for 3,000 yards and won't get a sniff of ROY, given his off the field baggage that followed him into the league.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

And people demonize Kaepernick for protesting this crap. He's the bad guy and not out of control police. America, your prioties are seriously f>[ked up.

https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/sta...%2F10029561403
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Funny how after Deflategate the Pats went from the least fumbling team to the second most. But air pressure doesn't affect the game. huh?
    Bill Belicheat strikes again.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And people demonize Kaepernick for protesting this crap. He's the bad guy and not out of control police. America, your prioties are seriously f>[ked up.

https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/sta...%2F10029561403
    Exactly. Beat me to it. I don't even know if we're in the "Just thankful he wasn't shot" phase. Going to take A LOT more than silent protests to change attitudes in this country.

According to Bennett, the incident occurred in the early-morning hours on Aug. 27 after the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor fight in Las Vegas, when police apprehended him after hearing what sounded like gunshots in a crowded area.

Bennett said officers pointed guns at him "for doing nothing more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time" and ordered him to lie down on the ground.

Bennett wrote that one officer, with his gun drawn, warned him that he would "blow my f------ head off" if he moved. Another officer jammed his knee into Bennett's back and handcuffed him, according to Bennett.

Bennett "was unarmed, sober and not involved in any altercations or dispute at the time the police officers arrested and threatened to use deadly force against him."
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I keep looking at the guys on New England's defense these days, and wonder how Belichek does it. Like, Donta Hightower is legit. Butler, Chung, and McCourty in the secondary? Yeah, those guys I believe in to not get gouged by any QB. But at this point, I don't know if they have a credible pash rush. I honestly don't know what smoke and mirrors Belichek is doing to stop other teams, because I'm not scared of any of these guys individually.

And yet, I drafted the Patriots' defense in fantasy, based solely on pedigree (and what was available).
    On that note, and I probably should've mentioned this, I think the Patriots will really feels the impact of Rob Nickovitch's retirement immediately. He was such a powerful force on that line. Whenever New England's defense needed to make a place, he was usually the one that made it. He was the one that sacked Matt Ryan in Super Bowl LI to put them out of field goal range, enduring the offense had a chance to tie things up. Without him, who exactly can the Patriots rely on to make those plays?

Now Belichick has always found a way to get the most out of his defense, but he's always had one or two major playmakers to build around. Before, it was Vince Wilfork and Ty Law. Then, it was Rob Nickovitch and Donta Hightower. Take Nickovitch out of the equation and what do you have? If the defense struggles, then even a Brady-led offense will have issues, especially with their best receiver on IR. But we've seen Belichick do more with less.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Funny how after Deflategate the Pats went from the least fumbling team to the second most. But air pressure doesn't affect the game. huh?
    Bill Belicheat strikes again.
    How many times was that debunked? A couple hundred? Even judges pointed that out. They fumbled more during the BallGhazi lead up than after.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    How many times was that debunked? A couple hundred? Even judges pointed that out. They fumbled more during the BallGhazi lead up than after.
    Stats say otherwise:

2016: 27 (2nd most)
    2015: 14 (3rd fewest)
    2014: 13 (2nd)
    2013: 24 (24th)
    2012: 14 (t-5th)
    2011: 13 (t-3rd)
    2010: 9 (1st)
    2009: 17 (4th)
    2008: 17 (t-4th)
    2007: 14 (t-1st)
    2006: 27 (t-23rd)
    2005: 19 (t-6th)
    2004: 24 (18th)
    2003: 17 (17th)
    2002: 24 (t-11th)
    2001: 29 (t-23rd)
    2000: 23 (t-11th)

Not debunked at all.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com...-proof-in-2007

He served his suspension and they can look for other ways NE will cheat, but the pattern is plain.

Suspension is upheld buuut, Zeke is going to play week 1 against the Giants on Sunday night.

Rog has gotta get that big week 1 number after all. Wonder if he'll even be at his flagship NBC game.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Suspension is upheld buuut, Zeke is going to play week 1 against the Giants on Sunday night.

Rog has gotta get that big week 1 number after all. Wonder if he'll even be at his flagship NBC game.
    Well, he dodges a bullet for all of 2 weeks, because Dallas vs. Arizona is MNF in Week 3.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Stats say otherwise:

2016: 27 (2nd most)
    2015: 14 (3rd fewest)
    2014: 13 (2nd)
    2013: 24 (24th)
    2012: 14 (t-5th)
    2011: 13 (t-3rd)
    2010: 9 (1st)
    2009: 17 (4th)
    2008: 17 (t-4th)
    2007: 14 (t-1st)
    2006: 27 (t-23rd)
    2005: 19 (t-6th)
    2004: 24 (18th)
    2003: 17 (17th)
    2002: 24 (t-11th)
    2001: 29 (t-23rd)
    2000: 23 (t-11th)

Not debunked at all.

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com...-proof-in-2007

He served his suspension and they can look for other ways NE will cheat, but the pattern is plain.
    If you're gonna reach that way, you better look at AP and Manning's teams, too.

It's a conspiracy. :O

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    If you're gonna reach that way, you better look at AP and Manning's teams, too.

It's a conspiracy. :O
    No, it's statistics

The bottom line is, something happened in New England. It happened just before the 2007 season, and it completely changed this team. While NFL teams apparently are complaining to the league that they felt the Patriots played with deflated footballs during the 2014 season and postseason, all investigations into those allegations would be wise to reference my research herein, and begin the investigation in the 2006. That was when Tom Brady was able to persuade the NFL to change its rules to allow him (and other quarterbacks) to provide their own footballs for all road games. I will reiterate, this analysis cannot say it was, undoubtedly, illegal football deflation which caused the data abnormalities. But it does conclude that something absolutely changed, and it was not the result of simple random fluctuation.

No, it's statistics
    By your reach around on the stats that implies AP and Manning cheat, too.

High fumble years for the Pats always ended up with a new RB. This mid-year revamp and this season was for Special Teams.

Look at the stats after the Manning/Brady rule went into effect.

I'm not even a Pats fan but wow, some people need to focus on their own team more than trying to justify silly things.

EDIT: You made me waste more time on this DEBUNKED argument.

Over half of their fumbles came from punt/kick returns. Therefore, THE OTHER TEAM'S BALL. 5 came from rookie/new QBs.

ON OFF:
    QB Jacoby Brissett - 3
    RB LeGarrette Blount - 2
    WR Julian Edelman - 2
    QB Jimmy Garoppolo - 2
    WR Danny Amendola - 2
    WR Chris Hogan - 1
    WR/KR Matthew Slater - 1

ON ST:
    WR Danny Amendola - 3 (2 strip on return, one muff)
    CB/KR Cyrus Jones - 3 (3 Strips)
    WR Julian Edelman - 2 (One strip on a punt return, one muffed)
    RB LeGarrette Blount - 2 (muffed returns)
    WR Chris Hogan - 2 (muff returns)
    WR/KR Matthew Slater - 2 (Stripped on kick returns)

Also, 2015 was the first season of the new ball rules. Look who led? The Pats. Hmmm ....
    What the 2015 Fumble Stats Say About Deflategate
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 09-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

My week 1 picks:

Patriots over Chiefs
    Bills over Jets
    Skins over Eagles
    Raiders over Titans
    Texans over Jaguars
    Cards over Lions
    Steelers over Browns
    Falcons over Bears
    Bengals over Ravens
    Rams over Colts
    Panthers over 49ers
    Packers over Seahawks
    Cowboys over Giants
    Vikes over Saints
    Broncos over Chargers
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    My week 1 picks:

Patriots over Chiefs
    Bills over Jets
    Skins over Eagles
    Raiders over Titans
    Texans over Jaguars
    Cards over Lions
    Steelers over Browns
    Falcons over Bears
    Bengals over Ravens
    Rams over Colts
    Panthers over 49ers
    Packers over Seahawks
    Cowboys over Giants
    Vikes over Saints
    Broncos over Chargers
    That's the only one I disagree with.