Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Create a X-Man

Default Create a X-Man

Self explanatory. Create brand-new X-characters. Can be on the main team, a spin-off, or be their own thing.

*an. Yes, I'm going to be that guy.

Fantastic Member

It is tough for me to not to mix other peoples powers into better powers... So many guys to think of that just about every power has been covered in my brain already.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    *an. Yes, I'm going to be that guy.
    Isn't that grammatically incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by Geek Mangacomic View Post
    Isn't that grammatically incorrect?
    'X' is pronounced 'Ex'. So I think it should be 'an X-Man', as far as my grammatical knowledge goes.

Ultimate Member

Random thoughts on creating a new X-Man;

I'd want to see something new, power wise. No more telepaths or telepath/telekinetics or force field users (Skids, Unuscione, Cecelia Reyes, Armor, Radius, Projecteur) or time manipulators (Tempo, Tempus, Timeslip, Kiden Nixon, Lacuna, Sway, Velocidad). Characters who turn into (or are) metals (Colossus, Mercury) or stone (Rockslide, Onyxx) or other earth/dirt/sand things (Dust) are kind of done, and even the 'turns into stuff' options we haven't seen as much of like people who turn into wood or bone or wind or water or ice or blood or bone, aren't all that original, as a concept. Animal-people, similarly, whether they have bird-powers or wolf-powers or cat-powers, are also pretty common.

I'd also not want whatever powerset is chosen to be 'a pre-existing X-character plus more stuff!', like Cipher, who can turn intangible, like Kitty, but *also* turn invisible, or Daken, who has all of Wolverine's powers *plus* pheromones.

An illusionist could be neat. It's a power set we've seen before, but generally only in villains like Mastermind and his daughters, not one that's common on hero teams. Being not a complete fool, an illusionist would benefit from a layer of deception, regarding their powers, so that everyone doesn't just say, 'Oh, it's illusion-meister, ignore him!' Choosing a 'hero' name like 'Skyfire,' and masking his illusions under the guise of weather control, just to pick one example, could allow him to support teammates by creating a pea soup fog that his teammates can see through clearly (it only seems to be a wispy fog to them, as he's able to choose who his illusions are affecting) but leaves enemies stumbling around totally blind, making them less of a threat and / or easy pickings for his teammates. He could also create what seems like a powerful windstorm, blowing enemies back (and including a very tactile sense of pressure, as well as howling winds that prevent communication between these enemies), but being perceptible to allies as only a weak breeze (more to let them know what he's doing, than anything else). And because his illusions are so clearly on-theme, enemies won't expect that their attacks aren't affecting him because he's not where he appears to be (hidden under an illusion, while the floating 'weather controller' target he's showing them is just an illusion). Similarly, they won't be expecting it at all when he mixes it up and introduces an element that has nothing to do with weather control, like a cop shouting 'hands up!' or a grenade rolling into view...

He can also cheat terribly by carrying a taser or hand-stunner, and his illusion of an electrical attack is backed up by a very real shock, or a flash-bang grenade that adds some very tangible punch to an illusory thunderbolt he's thrown down in the middle of the enemies. At first glance, he's got most people fooled into thinking he's the next Storm, a weather controlling mutant, but he's just doing what he can to obscure what he's really capable of, and Storm's his inspiration.

'Cause that's another thing I'd like to see more of in comic books, young men inspired by powerful women. There's enough Spider-Girls and Batgirls following in the footsteps of male heroes, time to switch that up, and Storm seems super-inspiring, more so than most of the male X-Men.

BANNED

'X' is pronounced 'Ex'. So I think it should be 'an X-Man', as far as my grammatical knowledge goes.
    Pronunciation doesn't matter. It's whether the word begins with a vowel or consonant. X is a consonant, so "A" X-Man is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Pronunciation doesn't matter. It's whether the word begins with a vowel or consonant. X is a consonant, so "A" X-Man is correct.
    I knew it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Uh, what? Pronunciation is what matters.

An hour. An honourable man. An X-ray machine.

This went way longer than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Random thoughts on creating a new X-Man;

I'd want to see something new, power wise. No more telepaths or telepath/telekinetics or force field users (Skids, Unuscione, Cecelia Reyes, Armor, Radius, Projecteur) or time manipulators (Tempo, Tempus, Timeslip, Kiden Nixon, Lacuna, Sway, Velocidad). Characters who turn into (or are) metals (Colossus, Mercury) or stone (Rockslide, Onyxx) or other earth/dirt/sand things (Dust) are kind of done, and even the 'turns into stuff' options we haven't seen as much of like people who turn into wood or bone or wind or water or ice or blood or bone, aren't all that original, as a concept. Animal-people, similarly, whether they have bird-powers or wolf-powers or cat-powers, are also pretty common.

I'd also not want whatever powerset is chosen to be 'a pre-existing X-character plus more stuff!', like Cipher, who can turn intangible, like Kitty, but *also* turn invisible, or Daken, who has all of Wolverine's powers *plus* pheromones.

An illusionist could be neat. It's a power set we've seen before, but generally only in villains like Mastermind and his daughters, not one that's common on hero teams. Being not a complete fool, an illusionist would benefit from a layer of deception, regarding their powers, so that everyone doesn't just say, 'Oh, it's illusion-meister, ignore him!' Choosing a 'hero' name like 'Skyfire,' and masking his illusions under the guise of weather control, just to pick one example, could allow him to support teammates by creating a pea soup fog that his teammates can see through clearly (it only seems to be a wispy fog to them, as he's able to choose who his illusions are affecting) but leaves enemies stumbling around totally blind, making them less of a threat and / or easy pickings for his teammates. He could also create what seems like a powerful windstorm, blowing enemies back (and including a very tactile sense of pressure, as well as howling winds that prevent communication between these enemies), but being perceptible to allies as only a weak breeze (more to let them know what he's doing, than anything else). And because his illusions are so clearly on-theme, enemies won't expect that their attacks aren't affecting him because he's not where he appears to be (hidden under an illusion, while the floating 'weather controller' target he's showing them is just an illusion). Similarly, they won't be expecting it at all when he mixes it up and introduces an element that has nothing to do with weather control, like a cop shouting 'hands up!' or a grenade rolling into view...

He can also cheat terribly by carrying a taser or hand-stunner, and his illusion of an electrical attack is backed up by a very real shock, or a flash-bang grenade that adds some very tangible punch to an illusory thunderbolt he's thrown down in the middle of the enemies. At first glance, he's got most people fooled into thinking he's the next Storm, a weather controlling mutant, but he's just doing what he can to obscure what he's really capable of, and Storm's his inspiration.

'Cause that's another thing I'd like to see more of in comic books, young men inspired by powerful women. There's enough Spider-Girls and Batgirls following in the footsteps of male heroes, time to switch that up, and Storm seems super-inspiring, more so than most of the male X-Men.
    I feel like redundant powers are fine, as long as they're used in creative ways.
    Ex.

Fantastic Member

I feel like redundant powers are fine, as long as they're used in creative ways.
    Ex.
    Recalling my favorites from other works that were "unusual"...

1) within limits, anything presented to the character may come to be. Character must first believe or agree with the eventuality and then it must come from someone who is unaware of the character's ability. Cool in a book, but probably difficult to incorporate in an X-man work.

2) Bad luck for opponents, so many ways this could be used... i recall an X-Files episode where a the guy would throw away winning lottery tickets and the first person who picked them up would get into a car accident. Maybe not as drastic but putting that bad luck on someone would be cool. Magican Murphy also comes to mind.

4) Villan from Big Hero Six... but instead of robots it's like produced from their body... kind of like dust but dust can't really control it... i guess it could be considered Sandman

5) Inceptioning: No not the dream in a dream but maybe like how Eames (Tom Hardy) need that grenade launcher and he just pulled it from nowhere (I guess this is like Freedom Ring in Marvel ). Or how they made the mazes in dream world by making certain object appear one way based on perspective.

6) Nullify Bubble: Aura around character where everything just stops working be it mutant powers, bullets, physical strikes, etc not stopped in time just fizzle out.

7) Carbon Manipulation: Pull it from wherever to create diamond, carbyne, graphene, monomolecular wire... (as far as you want to go with that)

... and I can't think of anything else at the moment.
    Last edited by InvincibleDom; 09-06-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Ultimate Member

I feel like redundant powers are fine, as long as they're used in creative ways. Ex.
    That can be true.

Hellion, for instance, is one of the rare telekinetics who *isn't* also a red-headed telepath, so he's automatically a little more interesting to me. (And he's hardly the first or only mutant telekinetic. Link, Poltergeist, Debrii, etc. are out there, as mutant telekinetics who have nothing to do with telepathy, red hair or the Phoenix Force.)

Cypher, Karma and Dani, of the New Mutants, all have powers that are a tiny subset of the dozen or so powers that a generic telepath like Emma, Psylocke or the Stepford Cuckoos get 'out of the box,' and yet, all three are interesting and viable characters on their own.

It certainly can be done, but it's also fun, creatively, to both come up with and read about someone who isn't Jean Grey or Wolverine clone #3776.

Ultimate Member

The internet agrees with you. Whether or not you use a or an is determined by the sound of the word, so 'X' gets 'an' because it sounds like it starts with an E. I assumed you are correct, but figured I'd back it up, since it seems to be controversial.

Pick a side! A or An! Civil War! :/

Or, yanno, Google it.

this is pretty ancient; from a similar thread on a different site.

Combining the powers of Marvel's Triathlon, an obscure Doom Patrol character named Karma, and the Inhuman Karnak.
    Weaknesses and/or downsides?
    - He doesnt have Karnak's MA skill, though he's good at h2h, like Nick Fury level.
    - Needs a higher caloric intake due to his physical stats, kind of like Post Crisis Wally West but not as severe.
    - His psionic ability is useless against fully automated assaults, robots, explosions if he's in the blast range.

I'm here for the grammar argument.

BTW, I'd rather rethink an already existing mutant, to make them somehow interesting, instead of creating a new one.