Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

To be fair, I found that the simple fact of his homeworld being gone was adequate grimdark for Superman. I actually greatly liked the story they did to explain how he is the only survivor of planet Krypton, but not the only Kryptonian. IE, all the others from the HW died, but some of those on colonies survived. Which eventually lead to this:

OK, technically that's Siobhan Smythe, and not a Kryptonian, but Supergirl's reaction was like that because she actually HAD met random Kryptonians.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If we're talking about things that are personal head canon, I'd say that the original Earths 1 & 2 are still out there somewhere in the infinite ether of the multiverse and still exists somewhere and COIE just wiped out the "local" multiverse. IE the "infinite" in Infinite Earths" refers to that particular bubble of universes. From what I understand, DC "unofficially" has implied this is the case. And all the post-Crisis stories, in my mind, take place in the Ruby Spears universe ! This "local" multiverse theory also applies to things like New 52 and all the stories from anthology series like Adventures of Superman, Sensation Comics, and Batman Black and White all fall into this category as well.
    Assassinate Putin!

Having talked about this on another thread, I think I found one: Lois not having known the Kents. It's not so much that I don't accept that they didn't meet in this reality, more that I have to keep reminding myself that it's the case. My default will always be Post-Crisis on that, and I have to think "no, that's not it anymore". I don't like that she never met them and didn't get to know them, honestly, but it is what it is.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What a cool topic I must have missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't really do the head-canon game, unless the material allows it specifically. I roll with what the continuity is, even if I don't always like every detail where detail is given. For instance, the new Superman continuity leaves a lot of deliberate holes in the narrative, lending one to be able to plug in a lot of stories there or ignore them outright if they want. On the other hand, if stuff is deliberately and concretely removed, I don't try to fit it back in just because I liked it.
    I used to be that way, then New 52 absolutely broke that barrier for me forever. The immense power of an unwanted reboot, I guess.

Big ones I can think of for now:

--I basically use as the main origin telling Superman's origin from 1973 The Amazing World of Superman (Metropolis Edition) reprinted in Superman Returns:The Movie and Other Tales of the Man of Steel TPB and Superman Through the Ages #1

--I don't use Lex's Suicide Slum origin anymore, I use Smallville's origin (the broad strokes of it, John Glover Lionel especially), but I do keep like most of the rest of Lex's Post-Crisis history...Lex II, Contessa, etc.

--Also, Rucka put into my canon: the final form of Lex Luthor (where he like Darth Vader has lost most of his old body in his mad quest of hate for Superman) that Superman ultimately defeats once and for all (down the road we'll never see)
    Zstop9n.jpg

--Most of the Silver & Golden and probably Bronze Age stories happened in some away ala Morrison's approach to Batman continuity

--Connor existed with all Post-Crisis history (agreeing with Jokerz79)

--While not Superboy in the present era Clark did travel to the future and was Superboy with the Legion for a time as a teen (Credit to Jokerz79 on this great one!)
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-13-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

Jor-El having faith in the people of Earth.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm still waiting on that Mr Oz Appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I stand by my theory that this is not the "real" Jor-El.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm betting on him being thoroughly real. But I think there could be a bit of control going on behind the scenes on an already damaged mind.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

That Clark Kent was Superboy before Superman. If an idea gives us a 200+ comic run, an animated series, and a tv show then chances are it's not that bad an idea.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Agreed. Until its said otherwise to me, Rebirth/Reborn Superman was the first Superboy.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Agreed. Until its said otherwise to me, Rebirth/Reborn Superman was the first Superboy.
    I'm kind of wondering if we're going to get a formal "new" origin sometime next year in time for the 80th. Or if DC is just going to come right out and say that Johns SO is officially canon again. Given how much power Johns has, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what they did.
    Assassinate Putin!

While they certainly do it a lot I don't mind updated origin stories. So I wouldn't mind that. Likewise I also wouldn't mind just leaving things as they are for a while. Basic beats touched upon, but overall vague. Pure, unadultered SO though, I'd absolutely hate. Its a couple decent ideas surrounded by absolute garbage. If you're going to define the origin again in detail, let someone who knows what they're doing work around that template and make it passable.

But again as it stands I'm perfectly happy only having what Jurgens provided in #977-978
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-17-2017 at 01:14 PM.

While they certainly do it a lot I don't mind updated origin stories. So I wouldn't mind that. Likewise I also wouldn't mind just leaving things as they are for a while. Basic beats touched upon, but overall vague. Pure, unadultered SO though, I'd absolutely hate. Its a couple decent ideas surrounded by absolute garbage. If you're going to define the origin again in detail, let someone who knows what they're doing work around that template and make it passable.

But again as it stands I'm perfectly happy only having what Jurgens provided in #977-978
    That's pretty much how I feel. I hated SO. It was a mess of everything and very few of what I want from an origin was kept. My preferred solution was not to do one at all and let the fans make up their own. Worked for Morrison on All Star! So far, I don't like what we're getting. The Kents are dead and the elements of SO we are keeping are the stuff I thought was dumb.
    Assassinate Putin!

Oh man there is so much hate for SO. I loved it. There is so much good in it. I am happy with it being the origin if they continue with it.

I prefer the origin to be hazy. Just give an outline and move ahead with the story.

Superman's origin is such a controversial thing. Largely because there has been so many of them. I think the reason why SO is such a mess is because it tries to be all things to everyone. The irony is, DC tends to do a better job with it when they don't care about offending everyone. Injustice actually gives Superman a cool origin. But, then. the whole concept already threw Superman under the bus. Earth One also gave him a cool origin. But it also wasn't based on trying to appease all Superman fans either. Smallville is one of the better ones precisely because it kept the best elements of both the pre-and post-Crisis origins.

With the mainstream books, they have to take so many things into account. I don't particularly care about the Legion but a lot of people do and they have to take it into account. Some people think the concept of Superboy is stupid. So how do you appeal to them and still use the Legion? It's a no win. This is why I like the All Star route. It also allows the books to move forward instead of looking back all the time. With the Kents dead, there's no real reason to dwell too much on it.
    Assassinate Putin!