Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

As I suspected, Black Bolt #5 effectively answered this question, particularly when read in conjunction with Royals #5 or so.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    You now have already put way more thought into this than Stan Lee ever did.
    Sorta shows the genius of Stan if he could toss off so many great concepts that are flexible enough to last the years....

seems like animal abuse if they subjected a dog to transmorgification. if its an inhuman who reverted to dog form, then shame on them treating him like an animal

That disappointed grumbling you hear? That's me XD
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

I can't say I didn't see it coming with some of the art previews. The bottom line is Marvel has had a preferred answer for decades. I don't think anyone with that preferred answer has read the original story, though, which is probably the biggest disappointment.

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    seems like animal abuse if they subjected a dog to transmorgification. if its an inhuman who reverted to dog form, then shame on them treating him like an animal
    Given humans do to animals for the sake of make-up, I'd say the Inhumans are fine, and in this case, ahead of humans in terms of how they treat animals. Who's gonna make Lockjaw wear lipstick?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Given humans do to animals for the sake of make-up, I'd say the Inhumans are fine, and in this case, ahead of humans in terms of how they treat animals. Who's gonna make Lockjaw wear lipstick?
    human cruelty as defense?

even still, lipstick on a pig is a far cry from whole hog genetic tampering on live creatures with no independent agency.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    human cruelty as defense?

even still, lipstick on a pig is a far cry from whole hog genetic tampering on live creatures with no independent agency.
    There's no indication that it was in anyway painful. So they gifted an animal with the ability to defend itself. So what?

so what if they didnt harm him, you mean? i'm not sure i take your point .. its a cruelty to wildlife to experiment on them willy nilly. we have laws against that sort of thing unregulated

assuming this is really a dog mind you

I haven't read the recent Blackbolt issue yet so I'm not sure how Lockjaw is explained but I remember in the old Quicksilver series it was mentioned that Lockjaw was a normal dog that was experimented on and then exposed to the terrigen mists just to see what would happen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Sorta shows the genius of Stan if he could toss off so many great concepts that are flexible enough to last the years....
    It's not genius if your concepts are full of holes.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I can't say I didn't see it coming with some of the art previews. The bottom line is Marvel has had a preferred answer for decades. I don't think anyone with that preferred answer has read the original story, though, which is probably the biggest disappointment.
    So I'm assuming it was revealed that he was just a dog after all? Well, so much for my headcanon. But yeah, I'm not shocked either. Didn't Peter David say that the whole reason why he wrote that retcon on X-Factor was because editorial asked him to? For all we know, editorial still hates the original idea for Lockjaw's origins, which were far more interesting, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Daska View Post
    I haven't read the recent Blackbolt issue yet so I'm not sure how Lockjaw is explained but I remember in the old Quicksilver series it was mentioned that Lockjaw was a normal dog that was experimented on and then exposed to the terrigen mists just to see what would happen.
    I don't think you're remembering that right. There's The Thing story that reveals to Quicksilver that he's an Inhuman and not a dog and then there's X-Factor where Quicksilver says he's a dog and not an Inhuman. The latter doesn't explain how he got his powers at all. Neither is a Quicksilver solo book, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    So I'm assuming it was revealed that he was just a dog after all? Well, so much for my headcanon. But yeah, I'm not shocked either. Didn't Peter David say that the whole reason why he wrote that retcon on X-Factor was because editorial asked him to? For all we know, editorial still hates the original idea for Lockjaw's origins, which were far more interesting, IMO.
    Yeah, it was editorial's request. Probably the reason I'm not shocked by this is how much editorial has doubled down on it. When The Thing #3 came out, there really wasn't much one way or the other. The narration and the Fantastic Four referred to Lockjaw as "Crystal's dog," but no one really treated him overly like a dog. Obviously, Lockjaw is someone that can understand language some of the time, so they generally just talked to him. Crystal may have been more liberal with hugs than she was to anyone else, but that's about it. Since the retcon in X-Factor, they've gone out of their way to treat him like a dog more and more. This is just part of that. It technically isn't even new information, it's just more concrete.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Far more interesting how, though? It really drives the Inhumans deep into douchebag turf.

Why are those mutually exclusive things, though?