Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

John Byrne was one of my favorite comic book artists when I first started collecting them way back in the late 70s/early 80s, absolutely loved his work on the Uncanny X-Men and Avengers, took a break for a few short years during high school and when I got back into it during the late 80s Sensational She Hulk was on my pull list from issue #1.

Fantastic Member

Did his art style change radically in the late 90s, or was it just the inkers?

His mid 80s stuff is SO technical - but beautiful…
    But by Chapter One in the late 90s it seemed choppy, scratchy and… rushed.

What happened?

BANNED

Happy Birthday...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

BANNED

...John Lindley Byrne!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    https://13thdimension.com/the-genius...superman-page/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post

What happened?
    I totally agree. Terry Austin was obviously fantastic on his X-Men pencils, but his work looked great no matter who was inking. Later on in his career it did look sketchy and rushed.

I never missed his She-hulk now more so than ever what with the current way she is being handled.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post

What happened?
    It was less polished, but still solid. But to be fair, the guy got older...

Astonishing Member

I'm a fan of his Iron Fist work, but really hated when he took over X-Men from Dave Cockrum. I didn't like Byrne's early work on X-Men, but thought it got better over time. Dark Phoenix Saga is his best work on X-Men, IMHO.

Alpha Flight had great character designs and a few interesting stories, but too often the group as not together as a team.

I think his Fantastic Four is probably his best work in making the team relevant again.

He was only the artist on Captain America, but that is a good run -- and I'm especially a fan of the Baron Blood story.

His Superman work was decent -- I think it was just nice to see Superman written and drawn Marvel style.

I have mixed feelings on his She-Hulk work. It was a unique take -- and definitely more interesting than the David Kraft series, but her adventures were very lightweight.

Namor was his last really good work, IMHO. His work on X-Men Hidden Legends and DC's Wonder Woman was mostly uninspired.

His Fantastic Four was by far the best.

His She-Hulk....not sure what that was about.....stories were nonsensical. But I guess that was the point.

Honestly there’s almost nothing John Byrne did/collaborated on at Marvel that I i haven’t loved.
    The worst I can say is that I only liked it.

From his best known stuff (X-Men, FF, AF, She-Hulk), to not universally loved stuff (WCA), to more obscure stuff/short runs (Marvel Premiere, Marvel Team Up, Avengers, Spider-Man, Champions, Iron Man).

He did two issues of Indiana Jones and broke my heart when he left.
    The in house ad for that book is one of my favorite pieces of art ever.

I wish Marvel and John Byrne could have come to terms for publishing John Byrne’s X-Men: Elsewhen
    John-Byrne-X-Men-Elsewhen-1-spoilers-A.jpg

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's always fun -- for me at least -- to go back and see how his artistic style changed over the years. I used to own a copy of one of the Space 1999 books, which was some of his earliest work. By the time that I gave up the hobby (circa 1990s), I owned just about every comic that he'd ever worked on, including cover art, fanzines, etc., up to that point. It was a megalomaniacal obsession that even the Elders of the Universe would envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    His short but great Marvel Team Up run with Claremont.
    Spidey & Red Sonja.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

While not necessarily his best work, as a huge Scott Lang fan I have a great appreciation of his art on Marvel Premier 47-48, written by Dave Michelinie and beautifully inked by Bob Layton

Let's see...
    Iron Fist
    Star Lord (LOVE that story with Claremont and Austin)
    Champions
    X-Men
    Captain America (with Stern)
    Avengers (his first stint as artist, I didn't care much for his run as writer on the "main" title)
    Superman (I've read Superman for years before COIE, but only became a true fan after Byrne took over, and the triangle era sedimented this)
    Legends
    West Coast Avengers (liked him here, not so much on the main title)
    JLA the Tenth Circle (didn't like much the Doom Patrol run that came after, mainly the art, but also found the stories a bit confusing and subpar, however I really enjoyed the six issues storyline that launched it, with Claremont and beautiful embelishment by Ordway)
    X-Men the Hidden Years (IMHO, the last time, before the current Elsewhen, in which I really LOVED Byrne's art. I also enjoyed Marvel the Last Generation, but mostly for Stern's story. That was hardly Byrne's best art.)
    I'm probably forgetting something, but that is an amazing body of work that really caused an impact on me.

Peace