Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default John Byrne @ Marvel

What do you consider to be John Byrne's best work for Marvel?

For me it's Alpha Flight, who he created.

I like the mix of characters and the Canadian setting.

I'm currently reading the early issues in the Classic trades and the stories stand up well.

Probably not his best, but Alpha Flight was definitely my favorite. Both the characters and the structure of those early issues - essentially a series of solo adventures for various members of the team, with occasional team ups to take out the biggest threats - were highly memorable.

Also pretty fond of his She-Hulk run and, of course, the X-Men.

BANNED

This guy

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed about almost all comics written or/and illustrated by John Byrne.
    The best one is:

1-Fantastic Four.The first FF stories i read was from Byrne run,and still think is one of the best run of stories in this magazine only inferior to the stories by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

2-Uncanny X-Men.X-men stories near perfection,and the illustrations by Byrne had a lot to do with that.

3-Alpha Flight.Another great series by Byrne.

4.West Coast Avengers.One of the few times that i thought a spin off title was better that the main title of the Avengers.

5-She Hulk.A comic book that did not take itself serious and quite funny.It was quite a unique comic book.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I've only read Fantastic Four and Sensational She-Hulk extensively so I can't compare with the others. But I enjoyed both.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

I loved his run on the X-Men, and because of my art-snobbery, I kind of lost interest afterwards (although other artists of the day, like Art Adams, would occasionally perk my interest again). The whole Brood saga, and Morlock Massacre, might have been lasting storylines, but without those clean lines, I just didn't find them as engaging. It wasn't until Jim Lee took up pencils that the art really began to pop for me, but, unfortunately, by that point, it was the writing that wasn't so epic...

Also a big fan of his run on Alpha Flight, and the Fantastic Four. I like West Coast Avengers, at the time, but in retrospect, he really seemed to hate Wanda (possessed by Chthon! Brood mare for That Which Remains! Bride of Set! Darker than Scarlet!), and set her up for Bendis eventually continuing the streak of dumping on her. (That said, he did some sketchy or borderline stuff with Jean, Sue, Jean-Marie, Tigra, Snowbird, etc. and individually it seemed like comics as usual, but as they piled up, it started to look like a pattern. Even in his independent work, with the Next Men, it was like, 'Oh, here's the crazy nympho...')

I shame-facedly admit to never reading his run on She-Hulk.

Although I did enjoy his Man of Steel run, as well, but that was at that other company.

Definitely Alpha Flight, though, if I had to pick a favorite, because it was all him, not shared with Claremont.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-06-2017 at 04:01 AM.

BANNED

Default Burns FF run was one of the classic Marvel developments

John Burns enormously long run on the FF was one of the those Marvel foundations that made them unbeatable

BANNED

IMO Marvel comics is to have him contribute to the 60th anniversary celebration of the Fantastic Four come 2021!

BANNED

Fantastic Four
    Uncanny X-Men
    Iron Fist
    Marvel Team-Up
    Avengers
    Captain America

Those would be my favorite. FF is his peak work for sure, only Lee/Kirby and Hickman are anywhere near that run.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    IMO Marvel comics is to have him contribute to the 60th anniversary celebration of the Fantastic Four come 2021!
    If that is true, that would be great. I rank his FF run as the #2 behind Stan and Jack.

Boisterously Confused

IMO, his best is FF. On that title, there's Stan+Jack, then Byrne, then all the rest.

My favorite was his Captain America run. Nobody had tried to make Steve Rogers a character with a full life like that since The Falcon shared his title's masthead.

All that said, iove everything he did at Marvel.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Damn, I wish John could have drawn a couple of issues of Ewing's Ultimates2. I always loved John's version of Galactus. I have no doubt that he would have brought that same magic to the cast of Binary, Spectrum, Black Panther, MAC and Blue Marvel.

Astonishing Member

I'm a fan of his Iron Fist work, but really hated when he took over X-Men from Dave Cockrum. I didn't like Byrne's early work on X-Men, but thought it got better over time. Dark Phoenix Saga is his best work on X-Men, IMHO.

Alpha Flight had great character designs and a few interesting stories, but too often the group as not together as a team.

I think his Fantastic Four is probably his best work in making the team relevant again.

He was only the artist on Captain America, but that is a good run -- and I'm especially a fan of the Baron Blood story.

His Superman work was decent -- I think it was just nice to see Superman written and drawn Marvel style.

I have mixed feelings on his She-Hulk work. It was a unique take -- and definitely more interesting than the David Kraft series, but her adventures were very lightweight.

Namor was his last really good work, IMHO. His work on X-Men Hidden Legends and DC's Wonder Woman was mostly uninspired.

His Fantastic Four was by far the best.

His She-Hulk....not sure what that was about.....stories were nonsensical. But I guess that was the point.

Honestly there’s almost nothing John Byrne did/collaborated on at Marvel that I i haven’t loved.
    The worst I can say is that I only liked it.

From his best known stuff (X-Men, FF, AF, She-Hulk), to not universally loved stuff (WCA), to more obscure stuff/short runs (Marvel Premiere, Marvel Team Up, Avengers, Spider-Man, Champions, Iron Man).

He did two issues of Indiana Jones and broke my heart when he left.
    The in house ad for that book is one of my favorite pieces of art ever.