Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default John Byrne @ Marvel

What do you consider to be John Byrne's best work for Marvel?

For me it's Alpha Flight, who he created.

I like the mix of characters and the Canadian setting.

I'm currently reading the early issues in the Classic trades and the stories stand up well.

Probably not his best, but Alpha Flight was definitely my favorite. Both the characters and the structure of those early issues - essentially a series of solo adventures for various members of the team, with occasional team ups to take out the biggest threats - were highly memorable.

Also pretty fond of his She-Hulk run and, of course, the X-Men.

BANNED

This guy

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed about almost all comics written or/and illustrated by John Byrne.
    The best one is:

1-Fantastic Four.The first FF stories i read was from Byrne run,and still think is one of the best run of stories in this magazine only inferior to the stories by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

2-Uncanny X-Men.X-men stories near perfection,and the illustrations by Byrne had a lot to do with that.

3-Alpha Flight.Another great series by Byrne.

4.West Coast Avengers.One of the few times that i thought a spin off title was better that the main title of the Avengers.

5-She Hulk.A comic book that did not take itself serious and quite funny.It was quite a unique comic book.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I've only read Fantastic Four and Sensational She-Hulk extensively so I can't compare with the others. But I enjoyed both.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member

I loved his run on the X-Men, and because of my art-snobbery, I kind of lost interest afterwards (although other artists of the day, like Art Adams, would occasionally perk my interest again). The whole Brood saga, and Morlock Massacre, might have been lasting storylines, but without those clean lines, I just didn't find them as engaging. It wasn't until Jim Lee took up pencils that the art really began to pop for me, but, unfortunately, by that point, it was the writing that wasn't so epic...

Also a big fan of his run on Alpha Flight, and the Fantastic Four. I like West Coast Avengers, at the time, but in retrospect, he really seemed to hate Wanda (possessed by Chthon! Brood mare for That Which Remains! Bride of Set! Darker than Scarlet!), and set her up for Bendis eventually continuing the streak of dumping on her. (That said, he did some sketchy or borderline stuff with Jean, Sue, Jean-Marie, Tigra, Snowbird, etc. and individually it seemed like comics as usual, but as they piled up, it started to look like a pattern. Even in his independent work, with the Next Men, it was like, 'Oh, here's the crazy nympho...')

I shame-facedly admit to never reading his run on She-Hulk.

Although I did enjoy his Man of Steel run, as well, but that was at that other company.

Definitely Alpha Flight, though, if I had to pick a favorite, because it was all him, not shared with Claremont.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-06-2017 at 04:01 AM.

Invincible Member

Fantastic Four is probably the best.

Alpha Flight is more intriguing for some of the experiments he tried there.

She Hulk I still have nostalgia for.

Astonishing Member Global Honored's Avatar

Byrne is a true master of the medium. My favorites would be WCA, Fantastic Four and of course the incredibly entertaining Sensational She-Hulk. I'm also a big fan of his highly underrated Cap/Bats crossover - so fun!

His short but great Marvel Team Up run with Claremont.

His Fantastic Four and X-Men stuff have achieved fairly iconic status. THat's gotta be at the top of the list.

But I was definately a fan of Alpha Flight, West Coast Avengers, and She-Hulk were all good too.

Really, I think it's fair to say pretty much all of his older stuff was pretty good.

So many to choose from.
    Captain America with Stern
    Iron Fist, X-Men and Marvel Team-Up with Claremont
    On his own. FF, Alpha Flight, Namor, She-Hulk and Avengers West Coast.
    And as writer only Iron Man.

I would have loved to see what he could do with the Hulk. Sadly we didn't get more...

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

For me it's X-men, followed by Fantastic Four. But back then I loved everything that JB did and collected every single comic, cover, poster, magazine, fanzine, you name it. My friends all collected hero or villain character appearances. I collected John Byrne "appearances." I even followed him over to DC, even though I was never a Superman fan. As far as stories go that I wish that he had finished, The Last Galactus Story in Epic stands out. https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/top...strated-26-34/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-06-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I would have loved to see what he could do with the Hulk. Sadly we didn't get more...
    Didn't he do two runs? One in the 80's and then a short one as writer with I think Ron Garney?

I enjoyed WCA.

Also thisThe Lost Generation.jpg

but I'm probably the only one on that.