Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

^Yeah, and that's one of my favourite Avengers arcs (even though I had to wait over twenty years to read the final part!).

He is one of my favorite artists. Uncanny X-Men and the few issues of Marvel Team-Up were my first exposure to him. I later discovered his runs on Avengers (drawing not writing), Captain America X-Men: the Hidden Years and Marvel: The Lost Generation was just a few of my favorites. Alpha Flight was a hit and miss for me and at the Time I was not a fan of Fantastic Four but three issues stood out for me and that was 249 and 250 were the FF went against Gladiator from the Imperial Guard and the issue were they came back from Secret Wars with She-Hulk as a member. His brief run on WCA was a favorite of mine and I hate that he left before it was over. I know Roy Thomas finished it but I still would have like to know what Byrne had planned for the series. I also think his Namor the Sub-Mariner series is one of his underrated best series.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    He also did a great art job on the Avengers: The Nefaria Trilogy
    Avengers #164, #165 and #166
    Avengers #181 - 191 was awesome as well. Come to think of it, that was the Affirmative Action Falcon run. Who says comics don't get political? (Too bad Blue Marvel wasn't created back then. Would have loved to see Byrne draw him. It would have been an impressive line up with Iron Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Captain America and Wasp as his teammates.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-07-2017 at 09:00 PM.

I really like his Superman team up issues he did in Action Com................... wait wrong company.............

I liked his Fantastic Four and his Alpha Flight and Namor and West Coast Avengers and She-Hulk and short Incredible Hulk runs.
    And naturally loved his pencils on Uncanny X-Men and Iron Fist and Captain America

BANNED

Is Byrne retired now or is he still working?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Is Byrne retired now or is he still working?
    He was still doing the occasional Star Trek comic for IDW last I heard. Plus he seems to have a steady stream of commission work.

FF and Uncanny X-Men
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I never saw the Defenders one before! I really like it, despite Valkyrie missing her upper arm bands, some muscles and her belt is shown gold instead of silver. But overall, I love it!

These are good team shots. I really love the Dark Phoenix one!

Incredible Member

What a missed opportunity!!! I bet Byrne would have written and drawn the hell out of a classic DEFENDERS comic that featured Doctor Strange, Hulk, Namor, Valkyrie, Hellcat, Nighthawk and Hellstorm!!!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken, everything except the Alpha Flight piece are all relatively recent works. Byrne had not drawn any of the Defenders comics back when I was collecting comics. I don't think he even did a single cover for them. My memory may be wrong about that.

While we're on Byrne's achievements, of all of the characters that he either created or helped create, I wonder which ones will still be around long after we've all given up the hobby? Here are some of the characters that Byrne has been credited with creating:

Amazing Grace
    Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
    Arcade
    Aurora
    Avalanche
    Babe
    Paul Bailey
    Bantam
    Box
    Brimstone
    Trevor
    Bushmaster
    D'Spayre
    Dark Angel
    Delphine Courtney
    Diamond Lil
    Earthquake
    Effigy
    Emma Frost
    Futurist
    Ganthet
    Sara Grey
    Guardian
    Omega Red
    Hellfire Club
    Stevie Hunter
    Madison Jeffries
    Jerry Jaxon
    Robert Kelly
    Master Khan
    Harry Leland
    Magpie
    Manta
    Master Man
    Northstar
    Omega Red
    Donald Pierce
    Proteus
    Kitty Pryde
    Puck
    Pyro
    Rampage
    Mikhail Rasputin
    Nathaniel Richards
    Rog-2000
    Bernie Rosenthal
    Sabretooth
    Sage
    Sasquatch
    Mike Schorr
    Scimitar
    Scourge of the Underworld
    Shadow King
    Shaman
    Sebastian Shaw
    Sleez
    Marrina Smallwood
    Smart Alec
    Snowbird
    Songbird
    Steel Serpent
    Rachel Summers
    Swarm
    Talisman
    Terminus
    Terrax
    Kristoff Vernard
    Vindicator
    Amanda Waller
    Warstar
    Wild Child

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    People sometimes he forget he drew Star Lord:
    Attachment 54427
    I actually love that Starlord story by Claremont, Byrne and Austin. Too bad that the character has become such a loser.
    It's really hard to say what I most liked about Byrne's work at Marvel. Uncanny, of course, goes without mention, but I've always been more of an Avengers fan, so his WCAs run and his stint on art with Shooter and Michelaine are favorites of mine (didn't much care for his writer's run on Avengers. Always prefered Byrne as an artist or just as a co-plotter than as a writer). Champions is also a favorite. Captain America with Stern is some of the best issues to ever have come from that title (and that's saying a lot considering how many giants have worked on that book). Marvel Team-up, Iron Fist, Namor, Marvel the Lost Generation (though his art was, IMHO, already weak by then), the list is endless. I loved what I believe was his last work for Marvel, X-Men, the Hidden Years. Even his art, under Palmer's inks, was top notch, as good as ever.
    I miss his work at the big two.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 09-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.

BANNED

Default Burns FF run was one of the classic Marvel developments

John Burns enormously long run on the FF was one of the those Marvel foundations that made them unbeatable

BANNED

IMO Marvel comics is to have him contribute to the 60th anniversary celebration of the Fantastic Four come 2021!