Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Fantastic Four
    Uncanny X-Men
    Iron Fist
    Marvel Team-Up
    Avengers
    Captain America

Those would be my favorite. FF is his peak work for sure, only Lee/Kirby and Hickman are anywhere near that run.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    IMO Marvel comics is to have him contribute to the 60th anniversary celebration of the Fantastic Four come 2021!
    If that is true, that would be great. I rank his FF run as the #2 behind Stan and Jack.

Boisterously Confused

IMO, his best is FF. On that title, there's Stan+Jack, then Byrne, then all the rest.

My favorite was his Captain America run. Nobody had tried to make Steve Rogers a character with a full life like that since The Falcon shared his title's masthead.

All that said, iove everything he did at Marvel.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Damn, I wish John could have drawn a couple of issues of Ewing's Ultimates2. I always loved John's version of Galactus. I have no doubt that he would have brought that same magic to the cast of Binary, Spectrum, Black Panther, MAC and Blue Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Everything except the one Wonder Woman run and Spider-Man Chapter One. His Amazing was okay for me but nothing special.

The rest is great, I am a Hughe fan.

Nothing new here but I really loved his FF stuff. Some of the best since the Lee Kirby run. I also really loved the West Coast Avengers stuff. I have only read two Alpha Flight comic but I really loved what I read and cant wait to read more. I really love Alpha Flight from their appearances in Xmen and I very much want to jump into more.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

I just completed my Alpha Flight run (the whole run, not only the Byrne issues) and started a re read. Great stuff, very experimental story telling with a team book, I have to say.

If you are looking for the original issues, I found them pretty cheap, never paid more than 4 $ an issue, most of them only 1 or 2...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Nothing new here but I really loved his FF stuff. Some of the best since the Lee Kirby run. I also really loved the West Coast Avengers stuff. I have only read two Alpha Flight comic but I really loved what I read and cant wait to read more. I really love Alpha Flight from their appearances in Xmen and I very much want to jump into more.
    They did a few trades for the series but I think most are out of print. They did the Alpha Flight Classics volumes 1-3 that collect the first 29 issues of the series and they also did the Alpha Flight by John Byrne Omnibus that collects all their original X-Men apperances plus some issues of Hulk, Machine Man, and Marvel Two In One along with Alpha Flight issues 1-29 and the 2 X-Men/Alpha Flight mini series all in one volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They did a few trades for the series but I think most are out of print. They did the Alpha Flight Classics volumes 1-3 that collect the first 29 issues of the series and they also did the Alpha Flight by John Byrne Omnibus that collects all their original X-Men apperances plus some issues of Hulk, Machine Man, and Marvel Two In One along with Alpha Flight issues 1-29 and the 2 X-Men/Alpha Flight mini series all in one volume.
    Yeah, the first volume of AF Classics is out of print and pretty pricey. Ditto the omnibus. The other two Classics trades are pretty easy to get hold of, and the eight (I think) issues that make up vol 1 are on Comixology/Marvel Unlimited. I think vol 1 is also available digitally via Comixology.

I dont think I can nail down one that is his greatest, but I can say I LOVED his work on early 80s Fantastic Four. For me, John Byrne is and always will be, in the elite class of comic creators.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I just completed my Alpha Flight run (the whole run, not only the Byrne issues) and started a re read. Great stuff, very experimental story telling with a team book, I have to say.
    I really liked the brief backup stories in the first half-dozen or so issues giving a little background on the individual characters, without having to wait a couple of years for a full issue standalone character piece (as is more common, and not as great for getting a new reader interested in these new characters right at the start, instead of waiting until they've already gotten bored and moved on).

BANNED

I also liked brief backup stories in Thor and Captain America comics.

Incredible Member

I really enjoyed his X-MEN: Hidden Years series. I wish they would have allowed it to continue.

I also had high hopes for his HULK run which the company cut short.

BANNED

Why was that?

Astonishing Member

Loved his X-men run. Need to get his Fantastic Four. Over the years I grew less attached, Spider-man: Year One and his Spider-man run in the 2000's was a bitter disappointment.