Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

With great love to John Byrne's Fantastic Four

Taking a look back at the amazing run of John Byrne of Fantastic Four.

No doubt, Fantastic Four. He took them to the next level and his work on that title was pure magic. I grew up on that era and miss it greatly.

His work on Uncanny X-Men and FF was amazing.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    His short but great Marvel Team Up run with Claremont.
    AS well as his X-Men run. Imagine if Byrne and Claremont had worked on Amazing Spider-Man together after leaving the X-Men together?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Spidey & Red Sonja.
    Spider-Man & Black Widow

Fantastic Four, Iron Fist, She-Hulk and Alpha Flight.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

His work on Elsewhen started really strong, but I feel like he's losing himself a bit in the stories. Sure didn't like his Wolverine origin story. A convulted way of ressetting the character back to what he was when he joined the X-Men. And Logan sure has taken a beating in this whole run. Seems pointless to waste so much character evolution, especially an evolution in which he himself played such a huge part. Also don't care much for his redesign of Wolvie's mask. Prefer the old style. That said, the art is still some of the best Byrne has given us in many years. Top notch. I wish he'd try his hand at other Elsewhen Marvel proprieties. I doubt he'll ever return to Marvel, though.

Peace

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    AS well as his X-Men run. Imagine if Byrne and Claremont had worked on Amazing Spider-Man together after leaving the X-Men together?
    Don't overlook the Claremont/Byrne run on Marvel Team-Up. Lots of good stuff there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jwyatt View Post
    Don't overlook the Claremont/Byrne run on Marvel Team-Up. Lots of good stuff there.
    It never carried over to ASM. I wished that Marvel had Claremont/Byrne work on ASM or SSM. Their creative talents would had made Spidey's stories interesting. Especially if The Black Widow and Tigra were regular guests in the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    He was still doing the occasional Star Trek comic for IDW last I heard. Plus he seems to have a steady stream of commission work.
    Not anymore:

Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:09am
    I am no longer accepting commissions, so for the sake of his sanity, PLEASE STOP CONTACTING JIM WARDEN ABOUT ORDERING.

When and if I get back in the saddle, you'll hear about it, I promise!

THANKS!!
    In general, he's been basically retired since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    For me it's X-men, followed by Fantastic Four. But back then I loved everything that JB did and collected every single comic, cover, poster, magazine, fanzine, you name it. My friends all collected hero or villain character appearances. I collected John Byrne "appearances." I even followed him over to DC, even though I was never a Superman fan.
    That basically echoes my sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    He also did a great art job on the Avengers: The Nefaria Trilogy
    Avengers #164, #165 and #166
    Attachment 54430
    This one was just as good as the Protheus or Dark Phoenix sagas.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's too bad that John Byrne killed off the First Line team. It would have been nice for characters like Nightingale to show up in the present day. It should be easy to resurrect her, since "she" may have been a "we."

I enjoyed his Iron Man, West Coast Avengers, Iron Fist and Namor runs. I always wanted to read his Fantastic Four run as my cousin who got me into comics say's that it was nothing short of epic.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 02-24-2022 at 11:29 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark