Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    You got into Superman during Rebirth? Very cool! Welcome to the fold! And always cool to have new perspectives as well.

I agree on the costume, too. Kryptonian origin is fine and I can roll with it, but I love the idea that his mother made him the suit. The whole thing of otherworldly alien meets Norman Rockwell upbringing and small town midwest ethic is a blend that's just so unique and so "Superman" to me. I honestly think it's why, even with Batman's popularity/etc, Superman enjoys a certain status really not given to any other superhero (not to mention the reason they're called "super"heroes in the first place), such as the celebration, Metropolis IL, things that you just don't tend to see for others. That plays into how he's perceived, and Lois holds a similar place - both in her own right and alongside him, imo.

I love the moments you mentioned - and if you like those, I think you'd similarly enjoy a good majority of the Post-Crisis continuity. It gets a bad rap sometimes (mostly due to the last two years, but up to the end of the "Triangle Era" is good, imo - that end being the "King Of The World" storyline. If you get a chance to read the other issues, I'd highly recommend it. And if you haven't read "Funeral For A Friend" yet, you'll love it. A great writer (imo) Louise Simonson, who wrote "Superman: The Man Of Steel" at the time, actually got emotional remembering the story part she's talking about. That kind of dedication to characters and story is something I love, that I'd certainly like to see more of: https://youtu.be/tkWcfpYQ4S4
    Thank you for your recommendation. I will try to read from the Triangle era as much as i can. I will surely read 'Funeral for a Friend'. And thank you for the link to Louise Simonson's video. Superman lives due to the love of writers like her and fans like you.

I am not sure about the Mid-Western ethic. I am from India. Thus, i maybe from another planet from what i know. I take it to be something common with Indian culture. In Indian culture mother is respected as God. A child is indebted to the mother. This debt is that of love which can never be repaid. Can anyone ever repay someone who taught you how to walk? Can anyone repay the morsels of food which she lovingly fed when one was a child? Is there a price to the many diapers she changed when one could not go to the toilet as a baby? Can one ignore her sleepless nights because her child was sick?

No sir never. Parents give the gift of life to their children. It is glorified when the child grows up and takes care of the parents when they enter their second childhood: old age. The child grows up to become their friend and confidante. Thus, it is encouraged to love their parents. So much so that is desirable to live with them. When one is mature one does not resent their parents. For all their faults they are one's parents.

Sadly these ideas are becoming a relic of a forgotten age. A mere moral lesson to praise but not to follow in one's own life. This is the reality in present day living. We work in places away from home. We earn while rarely meeting our parents face to face. Thus, there is a need of synthesis.

Superman lives in Metropolis. But he loves and remembers his parents. I remember in Superman Movie Clark asks Perry to send half of his salary to this address every week. Lois jokes "Don't tell me, he sends a check every week to his sweet, gray-haired mother". "She's silver haired actually" says Clark. I love this scene. This is awesome. For people like us who work far away from home this is very much relatable. Even in recent films he calls Martha and seeks her advice. This idea of keeping home in heart while away from home. The fact that he is fighting for Truth, Justice and the American way while wearing a costume made by his mother is sweet. For all the praise he receives from the world, for all the impossible feats he achieves he still remembers his mother.

A costume from Krypton is cool. Really cool. I would have loved it more when i was a kid. But as a grown up i prefer his mother's costume. And it is a really good costume. Isn't it? It is iconic and cool. Every superhero costume is in response to this costume.

If you can clarify otherworldly alien meets Norman Rockwell upbringing and small town mid-west ethic i would be happy. And Metropolis IL. What is IL?
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-10-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Thank you for your recommendation. I will try to read from the Triangle era as much as i can. I will surely read 'Funeral for a Friend'. And thank you for the link to Louise Simonson's video. Superman lives due to the love of writers like her and fans like you.

I am not sure about the Mid-Western ethic. I am from India. Thus, i maybe from another planet from what i know. I take it to be something common with Indian culture. In Indian culture mother is respected as God. A child is indebted to the mother. This debt is that of love which can never be repaid. Can anyone ever repay someone who taught you how to walk? Can anyone repay the morsels of food which she lovingly fed when one was a child? Is there a price to the many diapers she changed when one could not go to the toilet as a baby? Can one ignore her sleepless nights because her child was sick?

No sir never. Parents give the gift of life to their children. It is glorified when the child grows up and takes care of the parents when they enter their second childhood: old age. The child grows up to become their friend and confidante. Thus, it is encouraged to love their parents. So much so that is desirable to live with them. When one is mature one does not resent their parents. For all their faults they are one's parents.

Sadly these ideas are becoming a relic of a forgotten age. A mere moral lesson to praise but not to follow in one's own life. This is the reality in present day living. We work in places away from home. We earn while rarely meeting our parents face to face. Thus, there is a need of synthesis.

Superman lives in Metropolis. But he loves and remembers his parents. I remember in Superman Movie Clark asks Perry to send half of his salary to this address every week. Lois jokes "Don't tell me, he sends a check every week to his sweet, gray-haired mother". "She's silver haired actually" says Clark. I love this scene. This is awesome. For people like us who work far away from home this is very much relatable. Even in recent films he calls Martha and seeks her advice. This idea of keeping home in heart while away from home. The fact that he is fighting for Truth, Justice and the American way while wearing a costume made by his mother is sweet. For all the praise he receives from the world, for all the impossible feats he achieves he still remembers his mother.

A costume from Krypton is cool. Really cool. I would have loved it more when i was a kid. But as a grown up i prefer his mother's costume. And it is a really good costume. Isn't it? It is iconic and cool. Every superhero costume is in response to this costume.

If you can clarify otherworldly alien meets Norman Rockwell upbringing and small town mid-west ethic i would be happy. And Metropolis IL. What is IL?
    The Triangle Era is really great, but if you can... I would start with Byrne's "Man Of Steel" and work forward chronologically. That way all the past references make the most sense, especially as the stories start using those pieces as things move forward. And yeah, I love the Louise Simonson video too, you're very welcome. And I appreciate that!

By mid-western ethic, I mean more about his mindset. Not that it only comes from there, but in the U.S. it's generally (or at one time was generally) seen as a midwest thing; the almost farmer-like ethic of "roll up your sleeves and get the job done" kinda thing. The Norman Rockwell part only because his childhood wasn't dark, brooding - but something largely positive, which Richard Donner saw as something akin to a Norman Rockwell painting. There's a simplicity to it, especially in a comics world where it seems like the only way a "good person"/hero is forged is through pain. I like this idea of a happier fighter - someone who can bear down when he needs to, but generally takes most things in stride and handles them well.

You're from India? That's fantastic! I love meeting fellow fans from all over the world. I'm from Iowa, in the US, myself. Not too far of a drive from Kansas, actually. A very cool, fascinating perspective on parents and culture, too. There's a lot of truth in it, too - both the happy and the sad. Progress is generally a wonderful thing overall, but it certainly does - or at least can - come with some unfortunate consequences.

Totally agreed on the sweetness of him remembering his mother, both as Clark and with the costume. And yes, every other hero's costume has been influenced by his - one of the reasons the iconic/classic ones always jump out more at me than the newer. Of course, I'm 37, so that's got something to do with it, too.

And my apologies for not clarifying on IL! That's the state of Illinois, where the "official" Metropolis is in the U.S. (bills itself as "the home of Superman"). Not a big town, only about 7,000 people.. but they have a Superman museum, a great 15ft tall statue of Superman and and smaller bronze one of Noel Neil, the first Lois Lane - and each year they have a Superman Celebration on the second weekend in June. (www.supermancelebration.net if you've an interest). The pic in my avatar is me at the Celebration, actually (in a suit my mother & grandmother made back in '95 that fits better now than it did then!). Fans from all over the world come to it, especially on a big year like next year (Superman's 80th anniversary and the Celebration's 40th year). If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

Hope that helps!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I think in terms of characterization it is my favorite issue since REBIRTH.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    The Triangle Era is really great, but if you can... I would start with Byrne's "Man Of Steel" and work forward chronologically. That way all the past references make the most sense, especially as the stories start using those pieces as things move forward. And yeah, I love the Louise Simonson video too, you're very welcome. And I appreciate that!

By mid-western ethic, I mean more about his mindset. Not that it only comes from there, but in the U.S. it's generally (or at one time was generally) seen as a midwest thing; the almost farmer-like ethic of "roll up your sleeves and get the job done" kinda thing. The Norman Rockwell part only because his childhood wasn't dark, brooding - but something largely positive, which Richard Donner saw as something akin to a Norman Rockwell painting. There's a simplicity to it, especially in a comics world where it seems like the only way a "good person"/hero is forged is through pain. I like this idea of a happier fighter - someone who can bear down when he needs to, but generally takes most things in stride and handles them well.

You're from India? That's fantastic! I love meeting fellow fans from all over the world. I'm from Iowa, in the US, myself. Not too far of a drive from Kansas, actually. A very cool, fascinating perspective on parents and culture, too. There's a lot of truth in it, too - both the happy and the sad. Progress is generally a wonderful thing overall, but it certainly does - or at least can - come with some unfortunate consequences.

Totally agreed on the sweetness of him remembering his mother, both as Clark and with the costume. And yes, every other hero's costume has been influenced by his - one of the reasons the iconic/classic ones always jump out more at me than the newer. Of course, I'm 37, so that's got something to do with it, too.

And my apologies for not clarifying on IL! That's the state of Illinois, where the "official" Metropolis is in the U.S. (bills itself as "the home of Superman"). Not a big town, only about 7,000 people.. but they have a Superman museum, a great 15ft tall statue of Superman and and smaller bronze one of Noel Neil, the first Lois Lane - and each year they have a Superman Celebration on the second weekend in June. (www.supermancelebration.net if you've an interest). The pic in my avatar is me at the Celebration, actually (in a suit my mother & grandmother made back in '95 that fits better now than it did then!). Fans from all over the world come to it, especially on a big year like next year (Superman's 80th anniversary and the Celebration's 40th year). If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend it.

Hope that helps!
    You post is a goldmine. Yes, i will try to go chronologically. You are from near Kansas! I love it when Superman says that he is from Kansas. This makes me feel like he belongs to us. Thank you for clearing the Mid-Western ethic. This is also how i see Superman but could not put it in so few words. Indeed Superman is unique. Almost all superheroes have tragic backstories and a somber disposition. I also see Superman as a happier fighter. I love Spider-Man. Yet i love the fact about Superman that no family member died to teach him the value of responsibility that comes from great power. If you can i would recommend you to try 'The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl'. It is one of the two books i follow from Marvel (the other being Spider-Man: RYV). She is like Superman. She is cheerful, friendly and unbeatable. As a teenager i loved Batman and Wolverine more. I still love them a lot but i love Superman and Squirrel Girl more.

The last para is a treasure trove. A real Metropolis! Superman museum! Superman statue! The first Lois Lane! Superman Celebration! Thank you for telling me about it. I will try to come someday. May not be next year for the Celebrations but surely someday. I have put this on my list.

Thank you for spending time to reply to my queries.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-11-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

Not sure I buy this stuff about Mid-Western Ethic Superman. Post-Crisis crams it down you throat not stop but it also created a comparatively lackadaisical and emotionally fragile Superman. Hell that's the era where Batman overtook him areas like will power and personal drive.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    You post is a goldmine. Yes, i will try to go chronologically. You are from near Kansas! I love it when Superman says that he is from Kansas. This makes me feel like he belongs to us. Thank you for clearing the Mid-Western ethic. This is also how i see Superman but could not put it in so few words. Indeed Superman is unique. Almost all superheroes have tragic backstories and a somber disposition. I also see Superman as a happier fighter. I love Spider-Man. Yet i love the fact about Superman that no family member died to teach him the value of responsibility that comes from great power. If you can i would recommend you to try 'The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl'. It is one of the two books i follow from Marvel (the other being Spider-Man: RYV). She is like Superman. She is cheerful, friendly and unbeatable. As a teenager i loved Batman and Wolverine more. I still love them a lot but i love Superman and Squirrel Girl more.

The last para is a treasure trove. A real Metropolis! Superman museum! Superman statue! The first Lois Lane! Superman Celebration! Thank you for telling me about it. I will try to come someday. May not be next year for the Celebrations but surely someday. I have put this on my list.

Thank you for spending time to reply to my queries.
    Always happy to help. Feel free to message if you need suggestions/etc on anything else, and I'll help however I can.

And I agree - I like that (well, other than Krypton, of course) it doesn't take someone dying/etc for him to become Superman. And I love the idea of a character who does the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do. Pretty crazy that even many "average viewers" of media have a hard time "buying" that idea anymore - I find that incredibly sad, and all the more reason for characters like Superman to exist in modern media.

Thank you for the recommendation, too! I'll absolutely check it out! And as for Metropolis - that would be awesome, you'll have a blast! And you'll get to meet various Superman-related movie/TV/comic/etc personalities. We go every year, so you can't miss my wife and I, we're ususally dressed as Lois and Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Not sure I buy this stuff about Mid-Western Ethic Superman. Post-Crisis crams it down you throat not stop but it also created a comparatively lackadaisical and emotionally fragile Superman. Hell that's the era where Batman overtook him areas like will power and personal drive.
    The best of Post-Crisis he certainly wasn't fragile (Triangle Era) - there's a little bit of that around the Superman #22/Exile-to-Eradication period, but most of what you're talking about came to prominence in the early 2000's or so. That Superman does largely share the Post-Crisis history, but is often a VERY differently portrayed character. Those stories are ones I've never been a fan of, and were (imo) the zeitgeist catalyst for the less popular aspects of "Superman Returns".
    Last edited by JAK; 09-11-2017 at 02:42 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/