Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    Yes, a character that's seemingly never trained to use the Force "struggles" to do a thing we only see Luke do three movies into the original trilogy. She does something we watch Luke train under Yoda to do. She's resisted some in the Force who is trained in the Force, (and who we see in the movie doing things we've never seen done in the movies before) and turned things on them. And then she beats someone trained in using a Lightsaber on her first try at ever using one.
    Well, the version of Luke that appears in the movies is much weaker than literally any other Force-user we have ever seen.

It's almost exactly the same movie. It's following the beats of the original movie, while also for whatever reason also reusing those beats multiple times for whatever reason. Rey is a second Luke, she's also a second Han, and a second Leia. Yeah, she has different motivations, which are the opposite motivations Luke has. I hope nobody hurt themselves coming up with that. Finn is also Luke, with some Han...as he's going to leave just like Han left before returning.

The ending is the ending of Star Wars mixed with Luke and Han running around the Death Star and happening upon Leia
    Whatever. I've heard the arguments for "remake/not a remake." I find the latter holds more water, esp. taking into account that the Star Wars movies have always parallel each other. You feel differently, okay. No skin off my nose.

Well, it provides a worse experience. It's just the original movie with some stuff moved around and repeated. Names are changed, some stuff that should be there is dropped, some stuff made longer, but it's the same movie. You know, I watched that movie Oblivion a few weeks back now, first time I'd seen, one of the writers on it was the Toy Story 3 guy that did the original script for TFA. What I found interesting about that movie is it's also Star Wars, but it buries that under so much other different stuff that you could be forgiven for not realizing it is like Star Wars. This is a much more interesting way of drawing inspiration from Star War, as it doesn't feel like you're just rewatching Star Wars. It'd also be a better way for a Star Wars movie to do it given they're already working within the aesthetic of Star Wars.
    Whatever. Movies are subjective.

They were also the middle point and the ending point.

You are aware that being the start of a trilogy would mean it's not doing something different from Star Wars?
    ANH was a standalone movie that got two sequels to be turned into a trilogy. TFA is organically the first act of a trilogy.

It also doesn't cap off the old movies, Return of the Jedi did that. If anything this movie comes along and tells you nothing really changed after the end. The bad side feels like they're in the same place they were despite losing, the good side feels like they're in the same place they were despite winning, Luke is off alone, Han is in the same place (not actual location) he was when we first met him, and Leia is still working with the small band of good guy fighting the larger villainous force...even if that dynamic makes no sense at all now.
    It explained what happened after ROTJ, and it wasn't the happy ending we thought it was, and history kind of repeated itself. Works as a pesudo-cap and a new beginning, esp. since there's now a new generation of heroes.

The aims of Park and World are monumentally different. Park wants you to believe these dinosaurs are real living things, they're animals, not monsters. That is the goal of that movie. World is a big action ride.

The commentary on blockbusters no long having the wonder they once did anymore is the whole point of the movie. It's like how the whole point of Cabin in the Woods was to comment on horror movies; only unlike CitW, World is a good movie that understands the thing it's commenting on.
    I recall that the director summed up the movie's theme as being about the irresponsible use of technology (quoting Malcolm's lunchbox rant from the original movie).

What's not to get? The structure of the movie, how the thing unfolds. The Force Awakens takes the structure of Star Wars and fucks it up...and not in some kind of interesting way, it just messes it up.
    Not the movie I saw.

At the beginning of the day it was meant to be a Star Wars movie that wasn't like a Star Wars movie. No title crawl, they're original weren't going to be any Jedi, (and their aren't here, but you've also got this not-Jedi Jedi who's Jedi adjacent) and the music was meant to be unlike Star Wars. Your point is also pretty bullshit, as it could have still been like a Star Wars movie while also drawing on its inspirations for better; and because it's not particularly shot like the original Star Wars movies to begin with.
    Okay, you don't like the movie, I love it. Not sure what else there is to be said.

Uh, I don't think you're following. You said the point of the movie was to link it directly into the beginning of Star Wars. Being a prequel has nothing to do with it going directly into the beginning of something. It still works perfectly fine as a prequel without it. As a story it works even better given how the movie is ending on characters the movie isn't even about.
    The story was about stealing the Death Star plans. ANH opens with the Rebels fleeing with the stolen plans. Not having one lead into the other raise a lot of questions.

How so? It's fan service. It's a thing that's only there because you know Vader and you know Leia and isn't it so fucking cool to watch Vader slicin' and forcin'? There's no other reason for that part of the movie then: Hey, remember Star Wars, remember the old things you like?
    Whatever.

No they didn't. Nothing in what you just posted there tell you, me, or anyone else it had just happened. All that tells you is that it's a thing that happened. Now if it started with "Moments again" then you could say that, but there's nothing to indicate time. There's also nothing to tell you one of the main characters was fleeing that battle, which is kind of a huge thing to skip over. Before you didn't know how many hands that trained places with before getting to Leia, or how much time pasted between that battle and that information finding its way into Leia's hand. For all we knew between that battle and the opening of Star Wars something along a spy movie happened where someone handed that info off to Leia so she could use her diplomatic connections to safely get it to its destination.
    I don't get the problem. While the title crawl is a little vague (it was made years prior), there's nothing factual in that contradicts R1. Why look for problems when none exist?

More likely maybe. The new context for the opening is now that she was fleeting the very battle
    That change in perspective doesn't create any real problems. Leia's cover story was always a load of bull (they were fleeing the law and shooting at a Navy ship), and she and Vader knew it. R1 just shows exactly how much bull they both knew the story to be.

Default Part 2

So the scene is pointless.
    It does show how the plans were sent to the Tantive IV, how it escaped Scarif, and the context of Vader and Leia's conversation when she's arrested.

You already know the schematic made it to the Rebels because this is a prequel. You also already know the heroes know they got the schematics to the Rebels. Everything after the main characters are killed is stupid pointless fan service that has no point other that being fan service.
    It connects the dots, showing us how we get to ANH. Had the movie ended after the leads died, it would leave the question of how the plans got to Leia unanswered.

It's the Cantina Scene, not only is it the Cantina Scene, but it's showing you he's still getting into the same kind of trouble he was in when we first meet him in the Cantina. They're the same scene.

I'm really starting to see why you have zero problems with how much the two movies are alike, as you seemingly can't make any connection between what The Force Awakens is drawing from in the original movie. There are many things in common with the Rathtars bit in TFW and Luke and Han aboard the Death Star in Star Wars. The Rathtar bit is the trash compactor monster scene combined with them being chased by Stormtroopers aboard the Death Star. They come aboard Han's freighter the same way the Falcon comes aboard the Death Star, there's a monster on it like on the Death Star, they get chased around the place like they do on the Death Star, someone is saved from the monster by someone in another place operating a door like they do on Death Star. Again, the bad thing isn't that it's taking from the original movie, although as it is, that whole Rathtar sequence doesn't work, the bad thing is it's two of three when it comes to The Force Awakens doing that one bit from the original movie. The Force Awakens takes a nice little sequence from the middle of Star Wars, cuts it up, makes them longer, and then spreads it throughout the movie. Two of them aren't even that different from one another, and all three still have sneaking.
    Evidently the old ideas were made fresh enough for me, unlike you.

They're the same scene. The same scene happens twice. First it happens as a remixed version of it, then you just get the the normal version of it. Its sloppy. You know now many times Star Wars did that Cantina Scene? Once. Because that's all you need. You don't remake Star Wars and bloat it out by doing the Cantina Scene then following it up by doing the Cantina Scene. There's no point to it.
    TFA has different narrative needs from ANH. If it needed its own cantina scene, that's not a problem.

I didn't say he was, I said he looks like he is. He's a character that looks like he's going to be an Obi-Wan type doing what Leia does in Star Wars. She was trying to get a message to Obi-Wan on a desert planet, now someone on a desert planet that looks like Obi-Wan is trying to get a message to her.

They both fill that role because The Force Awakens is a sloppy fucking movie and some idiot put the same scene in twice.
    Whatever.

Nobody cares about the books.
    Is that why so many are New York Times bestsellers.

Especially the new books.
    Since they're fully canonical, they're relevant to the discussion. Ignoring them is along the lines of trying to divorce Star Trek: First Contact from the TV show episode it's a sequel to.

Based on the movies this isn't the case.
    The movies don't give us the full picture.

The Mind Trick is used as a signifier when we meet him in Return of the Jedi. that he's more powerful, now we're seeing him do something Obi-Wan could do. In the movies the Mind Trick isn't the thing he's first being taught, and it's not the beginnings stuff Yoda is teaching him.
    A.) While it is used to show that Luke is in control of his skills, no where is it said that it's a hallmark of a master Jedi. B.) It doesn't have to be the very first lesson to be an elementary skill, and C.) we only see snippets of Yoda's training. None of that contradicts Rebels showing us that its something novices can learn or the TFA novelization confirming that Rey figured out how to do the trick by copying what happened when Kylo read her mind and she pushed back. Both sources are canonical, so the "facts" have been set and disprove the theory you presented there,

Yes, a character that's seemingly never trained to use the Force "struggles" to do a thing we only see Luke do three movies into the original trilogy.
    Took three tries (and we never see her do it again, so it could be luck that she got it right; mastery is being able to repeat at will), and, as stated above, Luke first doing it three movies into his story is irrelevant to when other characters "should" do it and is inconsistent with how the mind trick works in canon as a whole.

She does something we watch Luke train under Yoda to do.
    Telekinesis? Luke didn't learn that from Yoda, he self-taught himself (Heir to the Jedi). Proven in ESB, when he uses it on Hoth, before becoming Yoda's apprentice. Telekinesis has also been shown to be usable untrained (Rebels episode "Droids in Distress").

She's resisted some in the Force who is trained in the Force, (and who we see in the movie doing things we've never seen done in the movies before) and turned things on them.
    Strong willed people can resist mind tricks and the like. In ANH, Vader commented that Leia resisted mind-probing and, beyond commenting that it would take time to wear her down that way, didn't seem to surprised that someone he thought was a muggle could do that. Anakin suggested that Padme was too strong-willed to be mind-tricked in AOTC (although he may have been teasing her). In the Clone Wars show, we also see non-Force user Cad Bane offer signifiant resistance to being mind-tricked. So, Rey being able to resist has precedence and doesn't need to be connected to her using the Force. Also, she struggles to block Kylo for some time (he's able to read quite a few things before she starts successfully pushing back).

As far as Kylo doing new things, his mind reading skills seem to be either mind tricks or mind probes, both of which have been established before (mind tricks are seen throughout the movies and Vader mind-probed Leia offscreen in ANH, as he tells Tarkin before the latter decided to use Alderaan to break her). His freezing the blaster bolt was probably applied telekinesis, which is a common Force talent.

And then she beats someone trained in using a Lightsaber on her first try at ever using one.
    First of all, Kylo was bleeding from the gut after being shot by Chewie's super bowcaster and in terrible shape (he visibly gets sloppier the longer the duels go on). Secondly, Kylo was trying to take her alive, Rey was not using such restraint. Thirdly, Rey was applying her experience with melee combat with staffs to use the saber (obvious by watching her moves in the film and confirmed in the junior novelization). Finally, her connecting with the Force was her turning point (it was showing her Kylo's strikes before they happened). A lot of special circumstances were in play here and she won by technicalities and a handicap.

Based on the evidence it's the total opposite.
    You're ignoring a lot of stated evidence and your only argument is mostly speculation. Based on the evidence, I still have to submit that Rey is not overpowered.

Why does the Empire have borders? When is this said? And why are there borders within shooting range of the Republic?
    The First Order controls a region of space. Their planets need to exist somewhere. I'm not 100% sure what the map is like, but Starkiller Base can move from location to location and it also fires its beams through sub-hyperspace, so it has a pretty decent range across the Galaxy.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 09-11-2017 at 12:34 AM.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/907611312255062028

JJ Abrams confirmed by the official Star Wars twitter account to return as writer/director of Episode IX.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    JJ Abrams confirmed by the official Star Wars twitter account to return as writer/director of Episode IX.

Erf...

10disappointedchar.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I'm a big fan of the Force Awakens and JJ Abrams in general so, before the inevitable backlash comes, I'm super happy with this decision.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Expect some kind of giant worm and a merry band of primitive furballs for episode 9.

Just a hunch.

(and rey in a slave suit i guess..or finn maybe )
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-12-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Won't be anything that we haven't already seen before then...

BANNED

Pretty much what had to be done really. Safe, dependable, will listen to Lucasfilm.

Won't make for a terribly interesting or experimental movie, but it'll be cushy enough for some people.

yes-599d16.jpg

While I was looking forward to Trevorrow on the movie and would very much like to see Steven Spielberg take a crack at Star Wars sometime, Abrams did a great job with TFA, his filmmaking "voice" meshes well with the franchise, and, by all accounts he was involved with hashing out the rough outline of the sequel trilogy. I think this is a good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Pretty much what had to be done really. Safe, dependable, will listen to Lucasfilm.

Won't make for a terribly interesting or experimental movie, but it'll be cushy enough for some people.
    It is worth noting that TFA was made "safe," for lack of a better term, to help ease viewers back into the franchise with it's new start. With that established, what's there to assume that number nine will be the same?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

I do sometimes wonder just what exactly people want from their Star Wars movies.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I do sometimes wonder just what exactly people want from their Star Wars movies.
    A miraculous replication of the 1977 experience, without replicating the actual A NEW HOPE movie (which people seem to be complaining about here).

It's kind of like hoping some new band will arrive with a new sound and it will be "I Want To Hold Your Hand" in 1964 all over again, except totally new and different.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Loved TFA, despite the ANH similarities, so this is more than fine by me. Just don't model this one so much off Jedi (like, please don't do Starkiller Base II), and we're cool.

My hope is this saga doesn't have any "return to the light" scenarios either. I'd have IX be simply about defeating Snoke and Ren for good, and establishing a stronger hope for genuine return of a New Jedi Order. The miraculous return to the light for a seemingly irrevocably lost being should be Vader/Anakin's unique tale. I want to see Kylo just be a genuinely irredeemable evil guy who is defeated.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    please don't do Starkiller Base II
    I wouldn't be surprised.

I would be. Its highly unlikely. As was stated above, the ANH similarities werethe result of wanting to be safe and cement a sort of "Star Wars is back!" ideal to those disillusioned with the prequels. The smash hits of TFA and Rogue One now being established, that feeling--the argument of whether or not it was even a legitimate concern in the first place notwithstanding--should be gone by now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El