Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Iceman #5 Spoilers and Discussion

-As two girls relax at the park, they are suddenly interrupted by the Juggernaught!

-Back at the mansion, Bobby’s parents lash out at him after his announcing he’s gay. Kitty tries to help Bobby out but he instructs her to leave them be. As she leaves, she overhears his parents telling him he’s dead. In the corners, Quentin (hanging w Idie) overhear the argument, and once Quentin butts in telling them he supports marriage equality, Bobby creates an ice wall to keep him out.

-Out in the lawn, Kitty teaches the new girl Michaela how to focus, and she uses her spit as an arrow. While doing this, a giant carnival pony nearly kills Genesis. Kitty knows it’s troubles.

-Inside, Bobby continues his argument with his parents who want to know whether he’s been sexually active with women and/or men (yes and no). Just then, Kitty arrives to tell Bobby that the Juggernaught is attacking them. Bobby quickly uses this as an opportunity to leave and goes out all angry to stop Jugs.

-Juggernaught is attacking tourists out in the park when Bobby shows up. Bobby quickly creates snowmen to aid pedestrians in getting to safety, and then heads to fight Jugs, who reveals he’s after the X-Brats (aka the BLUE team) and wants revenge on them.

-Back at the mansion, Bobby’s parents are leaving when Kitty runs out to them to hand them the letter Bobby had written to them coming out.

-As the letter is read, we see Iceman in action. The letter starts out talking about his need to be honest regardless of the consequences. He talks about blaming his bad love life on being a mutant and how he’s tried to change without succeeding. Jugs at this point wants to speed their fight up so he can head to Madripoor.

-In the letter, Bobby starts about what he CAN change. He talks about Jean getting a second chance at life and being inspired. He talks about seeing a version of himself that lives honestly and desperately wanting that. He talks about trying to please everyone and this resulting in him bottling his feelings up, his only outlet being acting like a clown. But that these lies must stop so he can reach his full potential. Meanwhile, Jugs runs towards Bobby, who manages to stop him by freezing the speed of light around him. Jugs is impressed when he comes to but manages to catch Bobby and begins squeezing him completely crushing him to pieces but before he finishes, Bobby turns into vapor and reforms as an Ice Angel. He once again manages to create a block of ice around Jugs and launches him into the ocean. Iceman just wanted to stop the fight by that point.

-Bobby returns home and it is suddenly snowing. His father is sitting on a bench with his letter in his hands. He sees Bobby who clears up he isn’t responsible for the snow. Bobby asks where mom is but his dad tells him she wanted to go home. He tells Bobby that Kitty gave him his letter and that it’s his fault Bobby bottles his feelings up. At this point he tells him how he’s now able to turn into vapor but how scary it was and how he doesn’t want to do it again. Partly because it felt good to “disappear”. His father gets up and tells him that he loves him and nothing will change that, before he walks off into the distance.

Perfect issue is perfect.

All my feels... This book... God, i hope they never cancel it.

This issue...

It is not perfect if you're a Juggernaut fan. The only thing Unstoppable is his recent losing streak.

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitan View Post
    It is not perfect if you're a Juggernaut fan. The only thing Unstoppable is his recent losing streak.
    While comics can be full of PIS and jobbing, this was legit. Iceman is no joke. He's an omega level mutant and actually have feats to back it up. He can turn into vapour and reform, he might even be immortal. There isn't actually anything that can hurt him in his ice form. He can make non-sentient golems.

Other thing to note is how he won. He basically removed Juggernaut from battle field. I think this issue showcased a pretty good fight based on characters' previous showings. Just like the last issue, where it was made clear that Daken wasn't a threat to Bobby in the least.

This is was the strongest issue of the series yet. Great to see him let loose against Juggernaut and use his powers in new ways. The letter to his parents was beautiful and Kitty's involvement was actually handled very well.

I was bummed to read in the letters section that he is still trying t figure out how to have him interact with Northstar. It needs to happens. And even more bummed that he said it wouldn't be romantic. I get it, but I also think it would do a world of good for both characters. Opposites attract.

I hope this series goes past 12 issues. This is a very important book.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Sina's been really creative with how Bobby can use his powers.. Especially in the last two issues in fights with Daken and Juggernaut.

BANNED

When this book inevitably gets cancelled due to low sales, Grace should take over Gold and take Iceman with him. This book is great and Grace's characterization is top-notch.

This was so amazing, Bobby's letter especially! And I really appreciated Kitty pointing out that no one has asked Bobby about his own mental state. I like to think she's talking about herself too because their talk in issue 2 was a bit one-sided, so it's nice to see her say that. And Bobby's vapor power being attributed to wanting to vanish... I had to stop reading for a second there, it was really sad

On a side note, THEY PRINTED MY LETTER!!! OMG! I was not expecting it at all!! I've always wanted to send one ever since I read my very first Marvel comic, and finally did here. To see it printed it so surreal and amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I was bummed to read in the letters section that he is still trying t figure out how to have him interact with Northstar. It needs to happens. And even more bummed that he said it wouldn't be romantic. I get it, but I also think it would do a world of good for both characters. Opposites attract.

I hope this series goes past 12 issues. This is a very important book.
    I sent the Northstar one! I've been a Iceman/Northstar shipper from before JP's marriage but I realized it wasn't going to happen, so I'm okay with it, I wouldn't have liked some abrupt end to the marriage either. I still want to see them meet and talk about things though.

BANNED

"I want to disappear sometimes. Leave my skin, forget my problems in a big way, and just be nothing--even if for a moment. I think about being nothing."

Get our boy some Prozac! ASAP
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 09-06-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Mood

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    When this book inevitably gets cancelled due to low sales, Grace should take over Gold and take Iceman with him. This book is great and Grace's characterization is top-notch.
    Yes. Have him take over Gold, continue Iceman's story there, and give us some great X-Men stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Definitely agreed. The only thing I worry about is handling a team seems more challenging than a solo book at times, but at least we'll have a handful of characters written well instead what Gold is now.

I kinda with liked the very sneaky little continuity thing from this weeks Generation X.