Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Next issue isn't out until October 4th.
    It will be October 4 in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Holy Freudian slip, Batman!
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Holy Freudian slip, Batman!
    Oh Jesus. Lol, my bad.

I've not been blown away by this series like I wanted to be, but I do like mostly how it's dealing with things. This issue left me frustrated and I had to look at why.

I think it's because I wanted things to be different for Bobby and his parents. Not for them to be more accepting - they're bigots. I wanted hi to be angrier. I know it's actually much more reflective of reality (I'm a gay guy), but I was so angry for him. Parents who don't or won't accept their children do not love them. And they deserve nothing in return. Sure, give people a chance to come to terms with things (i.e a week...it's 2017) but it infuriates me. But that's reality for so many. Who wants to lose their parents? LGBT folk will cling to the hope of conditional love/acceptance and it's tragic.

Also loved seeing this comparison of Kitty and Rogue's input during Bobby's coming out(s):
    https://twitter.com/roguesugah/statu...77576093028352

I'm with Rogue. Kitty should have piped up.

BANNED

Honestly this hit HOME for me as a Gay person. I may not come out to my parents, but this issue REALLY almost made me do the same he did. Once again wonderful and creative way he used his powers.

Quote Originally Posted by dodoriazarbon View Post
    I've not been blown away by this series like I wanted to be, but I do like mostly how it's dealing with things. This issue left me frustrated and I had to look at why.

I think it's because I wanted things to be different for Bobby and his parents. Not for them to be more accepting - they're bigots. I wanted hi to be angrier. I know it's actually much more reflective of reality (I'm a gay guy), but I was so angry for him. Parents who don't or won't accept their children do not love them. And they deserve nothing in return. Sure, give people a chance to come to terms with things (i.e a week...it's 2017) but it infuriates me. But that's reality for so many. Who wants to lose their parents? LGBT folk will cling to the hope of conditional love/acceptance and it's tragic.

Also loved seeing this comparison of Kitty and Rogue's input during Bobby's coming out(s):
    https://twitter.com/roguesugah/statu...77576093028352

I'm with Rogue. Kitty should have piped up.
    Dude, you're being way too hard on parents lol. Many of them were brought up in a completely different time, and some like the ones represented by the Drakes were raised on "values" and "norms" that are incompatible with a progressive culture. Unlearning that kind of lifetime's worth of programming does not happen overnight or even a week's time. And society always teaches that elders are wiser due to experience, so it's natural they'd give youngsters **** every time they "break protocol".

Ultimately they just want their children to survive and better integrate into society, even if their ideas of "survival", "integration" and "society" are very limited. But that's because they were raised in such rigidly conforming environments with limited perspectives themselves.

Also, Rogue had the most rotten luck with parents so it makes sense why she would go off on Bobby's parents. Kitty had a very privileged upbringing and the only reason she would fingerwag would be to draw attention to how amazingly liberal and perfect she is, like the worst kinds of allies who hijack LGBT narratives to paint themselves as the main heroes of the story. I'm glad common sense prevailed and she listened to Bobby and just let him handle it. It depends on context for each character. Rogue came from a more genuine place so it was okay for her to lash out. Whereas it was good for Kitty to finally show some maturity and not stick her sanctimonious and self-aggrandising nose in somebody else's business for the first time.

Lots of good stuff here.

The "speed of light" part was odd because I had no idea what the writer was trying to say....made no sense at all.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I think "speed of light" was deliberately included as a nod to goofball "comix science". Similar reason as to why Grace makes some of Bobby's jokes extra cheesy and unfunny.

Yes the speed of light thing --- can anyone break that down for me? That went right over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yes the speed of light thing --- can anyone break that down for me? That went right over my head.
    As I said, probably just an ode to wacky science in comic books. After all, Marvel has a legacy of gamma ray/radioactive spider induced superpowers, Skrull burgers and uh, how ever Doc Ock "swapped minds" with Peter Parker.

Alrightyroo. Thanks Confuzzled!

LOL, I can already see someone saying Iceman "froze the speed of light" and then someone saying "WTF...does that mean!?!"...lol"

Anyway still good story...just gonna disregard that part of the story.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

This is just ridiculously good. The best solo x-series in years.

However, it did make me miss Chuck Austen's Juggernaut when he was with the X-Men and eve on the same team as Bobby. I thought that was good characterisation.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Lots of good stuff here.

The "speed of light" part was odd because I had no idea what the writer was trying to say....made no sense at all.
    He slowed the light around Juggernaut until he released it all at once, which is completely within the realm of possibility for Bobby's powers. He doesn't just create ice, he manipulates energy and matter.