Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I'm Calling It: Mr. Oz is NOT Jor-El or Ozymandias. He's PA KENT!

I think DC's upcoming lenticular cover showing Jor-El is part of a misdirect on their part. Here's why I feel Jonathan Kent is Mr. Oz.

1. He refers to Superman as "Clark," not "Kal-El" as Jor-El would do or "Superman" as Ozymandias would do.

2. Oz says he "taught" Clark things. That seems more appropriate for Pa Kent to say rather than Jor-El as Jor-El played a minimal role in raising his son even if Kal-El didn't leave Krypton until he was two.

3. Finally, the biggest clue is Mr. Oz's name itself. Mr. Oz is NOT a reference to Ozymandias.

Mr. Oz
    as in "The Wizard of Oz"
    as in "transported from Kansas"!

It's possible that Ozymandias is involved in Doomsday Clock as part of a war between him and Dr. Manhattan, but I just don't see Mr. Oz as being Ozymandias, and really, there's no way that DC would allow Jor-El to be alive. Marvel would sooner bring back Uncle Ben.

Anyway, I think, based on my reasons above, Mr. Oz being Pa Kent is one of those "staring you right in the face" things that we tend not to notice. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that it was DC who leaked the spoilers to Bleeding Cool regarding Mr. Oz being Jor-El.

So what do you guys think? Is it more likely to you that Mr. Oz is Pa Kent?
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 09-06-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think DC's upcoming lenticular cover showing Jor-El is part of a misdirect on their part. Here's why I feel Jonathan Kent is Mr. Oz.

1. He refers to Superman as "Clark," not "Kal-El" as Jor-El would do or "Superman" as Ozymandias would do.

2. Oz says he "taught" Clark things. That seems more appropriate for Pa Kent to say rather than Jor-El as Jor-El played a minimal role in raising his son even if Kal-El didn't leave Krypton until he was two.

3. Finally, the biggest clue is Mr. Oz's name itself. Mr. Oz is NOT a reference to Ozymandias.

Mr. Oz
    as in "The Wizard of Oz"

It's possible that Ozymandias is involved in Doomsday Clock as part of a war between him and Dr. Manhattan, but I just don't see Mr. Oz as being Ozymandias, and really, there's no way that DC would allow Jor-El to be alive. Marvel would sooner bring back Uncle Ben.

Anyway, I think, based on my reasons above, Mr. Oz being Pa Kent is one of those "staring you right in the face" things that we tend not to notice. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that it was DC who leaked the spoilers to Bleeding Cool regarding Mr. Oz being Jor-El.

It's possible...But given a few of the recent covers that have been solicited in upcoming months and the recent clues in ACTION, it's almost a lock he's indeed an incarnation of Jor-El.

I think it's probable that The original plan for Oz by Geoff Johns was that he was indeed Pa Kent, but Dan Jurgens made a recent cryptic tweet alluding that he kept something from going off the rails storywise, and it's been theorized he was referring to the Oz reveal, so plans may have changed.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I got a gut feeling there may be 2 Ozs, one Jor, the other Jonathan/Pa, and the reveal is what will make Superman disillusioned by humanity and krypton alike. But if I were a betting man, I'd say the most likely outcome, is the most obvious, and at this point, that is that it's just Jor-El

Someone actually asked Jurgens straight up on Twitter if Oz was ever intended to be someone else, and Jurgens said that who he's going to be revealed as is who he was always going to be.

For whatever that's worth. I suppose he could be fibbing but maybe his earlier tweet about fixing a bad idea wasn't specifically about Oz's identity at all, maybe just about the direction.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-06-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The idea of him being either Jor-El or Pa Kent would be . . . disturbing, to say the least.
    They already pulled $#!t like that when they made Zor-El the Cyborg Superman back in the New52. Do they really plan to copy that loathsome concept?

He's definitely some form of Jor-El, so yeah, they're definitely doing it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The idea of him being either Jor-El or Pa Kent would be . . . disturbing, to say the least.
    They already pulled $#!t like that when they made Zor-El the Cyborg Superman back in the New52. Do they really plan to copy that loathsome concept?
    You read my mind.

BANNED

With all the HB titles they're adapting, I kind of just wish Oz had turned out to be the Hooded Claw.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

Mr. Oz
    as in "The Wizard of Oz"

I like your rationale. We'll see!

If anything I could see the rationale for terms like Oz, and him using the name "Clark" as being the deliberate misdirection all along. It makes more sense of seeding your misdirection early than seeding it this late. The misdirection then could have been always intended to send subtle hints at both Jonathan and Ozymandias. Meanwhile nothing suggesting Jor-El began showing up until more recently. I'm not saying I believe this whole course of events to be the result of one well-thought out, streamlined process. Quite the opposite. No way the actual course things took through the latter part of the New 52 and into Rebirth was all planned out smoothly. Stuff changed. But, if his identity indeed was always intended by Johns to be Jor-El, which I think is at least possible, his name and his phrasing begin to make more sense as deliberate means to throw off the scent.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-06-2017 at 02:12 PM.

BANNED

God I wish we could merge threads on CBR.there are so many pertaining to the same subject its getting ridiculous.

Joe will turn out to be another zor-el and this will be forgotten a year from now.that is my guess.

Now it was both jor and Pa Kent then I would think this would be a lil better,BUT can I ask a question.....does any long time Superman fan really want jor and Pa to be remembered as Oz the manipulator,the "iffy" moral guy? I would personally want Oz to be someone totally different,someone who already is iffy,or at least someone who nobody cares how much being Oz will make the character take a hot.

BTW bring back kon

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    BTW bring back kon
    Or make Oz Kon.
    (Would make more sense than either Jor-El or Pa Kent.)

I think Conner would make substantially less sense. There's a far stronger precedent for Jor-El, considering his sheer intellect. I can buy a character like Jor-El going a bit mental and being able to orchestrate events and move chess pieces like this. Conner not so much. I love the character but its not like he's ever been portrayed as super-smart. Doesn't mean he's stupid by any stretch but he's not a level of intelligence that even Brainiac respects. Neither is Jonathan. Jor-El on the other hand, is exactly that. I can buy him in a puppet master role way more.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.

Incredible Member

I think Pa Kent was meant as a likely candidate at some point.

Thing is, we know they've changed their mind on his identity at least once, maybe more than once. There's going to be a little "Hawk as Monarch" to this whole thing.

I kind of like my idea that he's Pa and Jor-El fused into a new person. In that sense, it keeps BOTH of them dead if he's neither one. In another sense, it makes him a potent foe.

A Jor-El/Pa Kent Frankenstein hybrid has never been done, that I can recall.

If there ever was truly a time when Oz's identity was up in the air (but again, Jurgens staunchly denies this, he claims it was never altered), Jurgens' influence now within the Superman books makes me confident to say that if Jonathan was ever on the table, HE would have been the one to take him off. I see absolutely zero chance he would be down with using Jonathan like this. In any capacity. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he'd want that to have anything to do with the legacy of Jonathan Kent.