Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default How do you guys feel about the Batman and Harley movie? (SPOILERS)

I saw the movie last night, and I was like...meh.

Some of the characters don't act like themselves. I get that Bruce Timm is basing this movie Harley on the current comics version, but she irritates me at times. She doesn't feel like the Arleen Sorkin version from Batman TAS and TNBA. They seem like 2 different Harley Quinns. I don't know if this movie takes place before the Tim Drake kidnapping, or after. Is this an else world story?

It took me two nights to watch it. While there are certainly funny parts, I agree with you that there is a lot of out of character moments in this (mostly for Batman). I thought they actually did a good job with Dick, as he can be light hearted at times.

Melissa Rauch sounded too much like Lois Griffen to me. She's not Arleen Sorkin or Tara Strong, but she was much better than Jenny Slate (Lego Batman Movie). I don't know why they couldn't get Tara to do this.

I really saw no need for the swearing or sexual innuendo in this film either. Guarantee, you can walk into any Target and find it in the Kid's section. Maybe it was the content coupled with the Animated Series animation which was TV-PG, just didn't seem right.

Empty is thy hand!

It was awful, but I tempered my expectations after watching the trailer a lil while ago. DCAU fans will probably ignore this in canon; I sure do.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I didn't even bother with it. After that scene in Killing Joke I've sworn off any more of Bruce Timm's work. Good to know that choice was the right one for me.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I didn't even bother with it. After that scene in Killing Joke I've sworn off any more of Bruce Timm's work. Good to know that choice was the right one for me.
    Yeah personally I am just waiting for Gotham by Gaslight.

I can read the new Batman and Harley comic books if I want to see them that bad, which I don't.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

All the negativity towards Batman & Harley makes me think I should invest my cash in the new Queens of the Stone Age release, not the B & H Bluray. I'll get it at some point because (collector and) I love the From the vault/Bruce Timm's picksepisodes.
    Btw what episodes are there on the Blu? Do you guys know?

BANNED

I enjoyed it. I looked at it as a parody. Mmmm. "Smells like... discipline."

It was fun but disappointing the characterisation of Harley was off, there was clearly some fetishism going on as there is no way Harley would have sex with Nightwing. The ending was awful as well, very anti-climatic.

BANNED

I'm not a fan of Harley. I typically find her to be annoying and obnoxious. But this version of her, the angry or... jaded Harley was interesting at least.

Astonishing Member

I loved it. It was fun for the grown-up children who watched B:TAS. I wish we had more fun DC movies that are not LEGOs.

I've watched it several times. I liked Melissa's Harely. I'll probably watch it again soon.

I hope there are more like it to come. Not looking forward to Gotham by Gaslight.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 09-07-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Mighty Member

I... liked it.

Now it was no Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, or even Sub-Zero

Maybe it would be in the tier of Mystery of the Batwoman (even going as far as the replacement voices being cool for the characters, but not being as great as the original cast [Penguin, Harley, Ivy]), but if you go into it thinking it was a comedy then it works. They went with the more recent/modern version of Harley rather than how she was all the way up until Return of the Joker (or Justice League's Wild Cards if we are going production order)...so That definitely took some getting used to.

It was fine for what it was and I don't always agree with Bruce Timm's work and I do always love seeing his art style animated again.

Gotham by Gaslight is definitely the one I'm looking more forward to than others.

It was not good. A lot of the humor fell flat, and felt like low-hanging fruit. Tonally, the film was all over the place. It wasn't a complete creative fumble like The Killing Joke, but all the same, it came across as a low-effort cash grab with big names attached.

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed it. Great fun in the spirit of TAS with some nice homages to the 66 series.
    Loved the henchman bar.

Only thing that annoyed me is that if this is part of the TAS universe and comes after Mystery of the Batwoman, where was Tim Drake? Would it have killed them to have one line explaining where he is? It seems like all the Damian Wayne Movies he is to be retconned and never mentioned.

BANNED

what was the point of the cameo played by the swamp thing?